Nerf Springalds for healthier siege play

I’d prefer they don’t nerf the damage and balance them in other ways like cost, speed, firing rate, etc…

It will be kind of silly if they are doing all that damage to siege but that giant bolt just tickles units.

2 Likes

They said in their dev stream that they are nerfing the damage against normal units. This way they won’t be used as general good all purpose units as they are but instead be used for anti siege as they are intended.

They could make them inaccurate against units like trebs… But this removes them as counter against elephants (except if they categorize elephants as siege units).

1 Like

They actually did not say that specifically, although it’s likely. They did say they intended it to be a siege counter and not so all around good against everything. There are ways other than damage to do that though.

1 Like

Knights and elefantes should be the best unit in game, springalds should be support units not the core of your army… While I don’t like age 2 that much, I think scorpions are more fun and balanced… Either make springalds miss for units that are moving fast or reduce their dmg… I prefer if they add doge mechanic that way cavalry will be the springalds counter

1 Like

Also this is not goi got fix other issue which is that there aren’t going to be mangonels and other siege because springalds will dominate them… Mangonels are to expensive and easy to take down and it shouldn’t be the case…

Game should be called, Age of Springalds IV, Cancer edition…

At this point is not fun anymore, last game I saw 20 springald (or whatever their name is) is just ridiculous, only the micro that is needed to point and shoot to every one of them without shooting their meat shield… is jsut another lever of pro play and they don’t need to micro at all.

Every game the same, springalds springalds and if they are mongols even worse.

I’m taking a break until they nerf them.

2 Likes

I happened onto a 3v3… was only 27 mins into the game, all 6 players were 85% or more invested into cannons, springalds and culverins. the few times players did make units into that, seemed like a waste.

Ya’ll asking for springalds to be nerfed, Where Culverin insta shot and insta move.

With the latest dev talk, If they go for 40 + 40 that is a good nerf, However if they touch springalds in any other way, Then they will be hard to use vs Culverins who are just better springalds who 1shot them no matter any upgrade. But as mass culverin is not something we see we don’t say anything about it.

There are currently more than 1 way to dealing with springalds. They probably move fast for the mongols [ which for mongols the speed on siege shouldn’t apply probably?]

But siege is slow and doesn’t shoot as fast.

Springalds are ineffective vs:

Towers: you can go around spamming towers the same way you can go spamming springalds and they are very bad vs towers

Castles: castles with both upgrades can easily take down springalds without any issue.

Mass horseman which can be replaced rather quickly are useful if used properly:

Crossbowman deal very effectively vs springalds when defending and even when hard pushing.

With this I’m not denying how well they are performing but putting out information out there that there are lots of good approaches to winning vs mass springald, that doesn’t necessarily include you having mass springalds if in words this seems too rare, I often encounter players who spam more springalds than me and it doesn’t give them the game

Here is a game where my Opponent always had siege advantage in numbers:

Whenever I find more examples I’ll try to get them, might be useful for others

4 Likes

Culverin are imperial and more expensive, the problem right now is that as soon as you reach castle age, everyone masses springalds and this gets into a springalds war, also I don’t know how viable are culverins against armys, but springalds are quite fast and good

Also in that video you used a lot of springalds, so you really needed them to keep them away, that is no proof of “other approaches to deal with springalds”

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong he micros pretty well but what he did there of being able to snipe the enemy siege and getting away with it was only because of the rus springalds extra range too, i feel like with another civ for stopping the enemy trebs/cannons to destroy the towers you would need to directly win the spring war. But it’s a really cool concept of advancing with towers to avoid enemy springs offensive.

Culverins are just like springalds but lot stronger, 400 damage and a little delay, But they insta move and insta fire. which is something that springalds can’t really do.

Here, I respect your opinion, Just clearing out that I stated to provide information in a way to deal vs mass springalds when you don’t want to have a bigger mass than his.

All other civs have towers with cannons, Rus is the only one without cannon towers, And these cannons have more range than springald towers. Also hit harder. You got a solid point. It would only come down to someone trying to make this work and seeing the outcome. To also add that towers for all other civs are 100wood so you can easily defend any castle age Push where he brings springalds 1st and then it gives you time to get some of your own and properly defend.

Before I got the extra range from Imperial, I was able to hold off by having less springald but having towers which is something that is on the video and easily replicable by any civ

1 Like

Ty man, I’m really going to try this.

In the current game, Springald has replaced the crossbowman. It can deal with Knight and Mangonel more effectively. As long as there are enough, it can deal with almost anything except buildings.

I don’t know how to adjust it to be better, maybe a slower rate of fire? Or lower damage to light armored units? For heavy armor, the damage is normal, but only effective for siege units? In view of the fact that reflects the reality of light armored units The agile speed and the bulky aiming of Springald, I think this adjustment may be more realistic and game-like.

So many games are simply decided by who can mass more springalds since they counter all siege and still do massive damage to any kind of unit. Even the supposed siege counter aka knights get shredded by them.

Just had a match vs the English as HRE. Was kind of an even game, he lost 2 fights, however in the 3rd fight he just showed up with 5 springalds at it was immediately gg together with his longbow + crossbowmen. The only decent counter to longbow + crossbow spam are mangonels which get shredded by springalds. In the meantime those springalds also shred every other unit.

Lets not even talk about RUS op springalds with more range.

Springalds are cancerous gameplay and need serious nerfs against infantry. They should be used to counter the opponents siege. If he miscalculates and makes too many of them because the opponent didn’t really invest in siege he should be punished. And currently youd rather get rewarded because they counter any unit with ridiculous range.

8 Likes

That’s the mistake.
Springalds are perfect for killing high value single targets.

Swarm them with cheap light cavalry or spears.

7 Likes

Someone tried to go mass siege engines are got rekt.

I didn’t, just an observation. Like I said he had longbows + crossbowmen. Infantry and Horsemen get destroyed.

How many?

Whenever I hear about these situations it sounds like the OP has like no army compared to their enemy.

You could easily charge like 15 horsemen into the springalds to kill them. Doesn’t matter if the archers kill them, they will do the job.

But yeah the weakness of springalds is they are only single-target units. Any mass of units that can get on top of them will ruin them.

2 Likes