New (balanced) Arabia Map

Lol we can just ban current Arabia and only play maps we like but then we as a playerbase are losing the most played most liked most strategically diverse map just for no reason being able to just pick other less fun maps isn’t a good rationalisation for why changing Arabia away from its roots could be good. if people want nothing but “non strategic aggro” they can play an entire other playlist EW which is focused on aggro games typically for the most part really shocked to see them take Arabia in this turn after EW dropping makes no sense at all

1 Like

Yeah I asking myself why do these players not just switch to EW if they hate strategy so much.
EW is all about execution of your buildorders, raiding and microing.

2 Likes

This map is simply not arabia. It literally killed the fun of the game for me

5 Likes

I think the current Arabia is too opened, this change is too huge.
I like this map be more opened to avoid every full wall game, but this change seems too big now.

Espeically the 3rd gold, sometimes it even far aways from the natural gold though.

Btw, I would also prefer the deer distance, sometimes the deer get behind the trees, sometimes it’s super close, why we need this randomness?

4 Likes

Always is the same map, three forests behind always. exploring no longer works

Siempre es el mismo mapa, tres bosques atras siempre, explorar ya no sirve

5 Likes

Yes, I agree with this… Maybe one of the three forest could have a random placement

1 Like

Ideally we’d have 3-5 forests all randomly located at variable distances from TC and variable sizes. Before you could have interesting maps of against the map edge with 4 forests on outside - easy to wall but towers would do damage. There’s very little creative strategy and map generation even in last Arabia was very bland imo we need cliffs aswell and just a tad more variation in hills potentially. Some maps with low hills or more extreme hills would be interesting

banning arabia isn’t a realistic solution for us

the map pool is 9 maps. here are 5 of them:

• crater arabia
  • arena
  • black forest
  • fortress
  • lombardia

we can’t ban 5 maps with just 1 ban

i shouldn’t need to ban the majority of the map pool just to have a chance at playing something that resembles RM (exploring a RANDOM map. doing interesting things in EVERY age)

1v1 players keep fantasizing about some version of the game that doesn’t even function for other modes. they might even be right for 1v1, but aoe2 is a teamgame RTS. the pacing of the game is all about giving players time to explore and react.

fullrandom/blindrandom had no extremely open maps, and no extremely closed maps. DE ladder is the opposite. it’s just extreme maps, very few well-rounded maps, and almost no maps where you actually have to explore. and you can’t even play most of the civs because almost every map is about some gimmick and people just force the civs that exploit that gimmick.

the reality is that the teamgame matchmaking will never be good enough to play things like crater. even if they fix the TG ratings (broken for 2 years) and the party-stacking (broken for 2 years) and the smurfing (broken for 2 years) and the matchamking (broken for 2 years) and the position-picking (destroying the balance for 1.5 years), teamgames on those kinds of maps will still end prematurely

the only maps that allow early 2v1s and still result in fair games are the ones where the unstoppable aggression takes place in a secondary area (such as water). when someone gets doubled on water, they only lose some fishboats and the game can continue. when someone gets doubled on land (and presumably winning water), they can offset villager losses with fishing income. if you look at the game ensemble made with fullrandom/blindrandom, there were lots of maps that had these properties. the games were not just about rushing and turtling. they mostly had the interesting strategies in between those two extremes.

1 Like

finally the stupid drush fc is not viable anymore

because the previous version of the arabia was what was called a green arabia or even worse
that was not the essence of arabia
even this one lacks the aosis in the wood, it is still very generous in terms of the woods

1 Like

not the opposite, this is arabia, it even lacks oases in wood
what you played or called arabia is called green arabia
y este arabia devuelve el juego a feudal y lo aleja de drush fc wall
asi que da mas opciones de divertirse y jugar

Looks like semi walling + tower camps will become more popular on arabia since full walls will be more of a full map endeavor

I think your translator broke in the middle of your paragraph.

How is tower rushing in new arabia?theoretically, you can send your villagers to the enemy border knowing there will be a woodline.

Dude, I’ve been playing this game since it was released. I played on voobly too, and this is not arabia.
No oasis (like there were on og arabia), no wood in middle (like there was on og arabia). The difference between DE arabia and AoC arabia is that it was much more consistent, while the second could give you almost any kind of map. And no, green arabia was literally another map, on DE arabia you could not wall as easily as on green arabia where by using 1 vill you could be walled by min 7. Since they changed the map the forest spawn was far away enough that you actually had to use some vills to wall.

Now, unlike the old arabia (both AoC and DE) you always have a ■■■■■■ map, there’s no way around that. Three back woodline (that can be good or bad depending on their spawn, sometimes they can be defended with three palisades, sometimes not), one back res (berries/gold/stone), everything else forward and a ■■■■ ton of hills in front and in your base. Jesus Christ, I’ve had so many hills on maps that i couldn’t place tcs.
What they have given to us is not a map that is played all in feudal because you can still wall it (walls to the border of the map, walls to tcs), it’s a map that makes people always drop a siege workshop in front of your base and, if they doit, you are ■■■■■■ because there’s always a 20 tiles hill in front of everything. Such a joy to allow people to do always three stable kts and mangos while stone walling their base, this will for sure make the game better, especially if there are so many hills you can’t even drop a tc on your own res.
This is not the old AoC arabia, this is an arabia that simply gives you always the shittiest generation of the old arabia, while never giving you a good one (want an example of that? Go check Viper vs Liereyy last game in the finals of KOTD1. And yes, I know that map was KOTD arabia, that was widely known to be much more open than normal arabia but could still give you that kind of generation. The only thing that was liked by the pros about that map, if i recall correctly, was the fact that you started with one sheep already found)

And no, you can’t tell me a map that spawns ■■■■ like this is a good map.

Would you look at this amazing map generation! Everything in two tiles and under a ■■■■■■■ hill. Such good ■■■■, amirite?

4 Likes

Love the new Arabia map, might have taken it a bit too far, would love at least some forward forest but farther away from tc.

Every game turned into drush fc, or men at arms into archers, and even the fast 19/20 pop scouts ran into full walls.

The games I played so far, I managed to full wall in the end, but only towards the end of feudal, or the walls were towards tc.

All I would like now is to add higher variance, that some Arabia maps are more closed, and some are more open, so you actually have to adept your strategy by what you see. (occasionally, a map like the old Arabia, and other times the new Arabia, while most generations lie a bit towards the latter.

And yes, naked FC is gone, thankfully. Please go play hideout, bf or arena.

Stuff I love now is that you actually have to make decisions like sending some archers forward, while leaving some skirms to defend your forward gold, instead of just relying on walls. It makes feudal play a lot more interesting. Or that you actually need defensive towers again.

1 Like

i like how the love to arabia dies in some people as some would still play it i think its a great diversion to other maps aswell that are in the Rotation and should be played (adapted too) instead of being griefed with alt f4

1 Like

at the highest elo, maybe, but the majority of games most definitely not… as numerous people have pointed out the change seems directly influence for/by the highest elos

and as numerous players have pointed out, the new arabia is just another socotra/gold rush

Funnily enough, at the higher elo there were players who started to counter m@a with straight archers low pop and it was working because once there’s 1 archer out the m@a become useless 11

excellent map /s

i think the people saying the new map gen is great either dont play, or only want scouts

i believe there’s space in the pool for new arabia, so long as we have old arabia as well… let the stats prove which one is preferred

As balance changes do tend to, because they are the ones playing the most optimally.

look, at lower skill levels you can win with whatever you want, teuton cav archers? go ahead.
tatar long swords? why not.
burmese archers? go ahead.
they all can work at lower levels.
that is why you balance around the top.