New Battle Royale game mode!

Developers just announced a new game mode for the November update and now I have a lot of hype.
But what do you think? for me it is great that they introduce new game modes and especially something that is attractive to new players, only I hope it is not a simple FFA or regicide, do you know what it will consist of? will there be more players or the same maximum 8 players as always?

Edit: So… 16 simultaneous players ?

1 Like

Does the map burn and reduce in FFA?

1 Like

that’s the point, is that going to happen in the new game mode? I really don’t know anything about how it’s going to work in AOE2, I’m just saying I hope it’s not an FFA because now I am very hyped.

EDIT: I had not realized that it literally says that the map burn and reduce in the picture, i’m dummie XD, now I’m excited hahaha, thanks for making that annotation

1 Like

Wasnt this already in the game at Voobly? I have seen such game mode before.

This could be cool to mod. Higher player counts in some other ways. As in a ‘normal game’, but with more players. It looks like Outpost Resources Point mods I made.

I dont think you can ever have more than 8 players. Even in a modded game that seems impossible.

1 Like

A Battle Royale mode was the last thing this game needed.

1 Like

Battle Royale= sh.t (expect Fall Guys :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

It seems like a good game mode for playing with friends when you are drunk.

5 Likes

So when you should rather stop playing or am I getting the message wrong here? I’m a bit salty right now, I admit, but honestly, they’re really tryharding to make it an E-Sport. In what days are we living? They’d rather have focused on modding support than on a throwaway game mode.

1 Like

age of empires 2 is already an E-sport

1 Like

It’s a game which caters to a wide range of people, not only the MP audience, unlike games like Starcraft which are not enjoyable at all to play in the SP skirmish mode.

1 Like

As far as I know they will not remove any of the game modes that we already have, and I insist, Age of empires 2 is an E-sport with official teams and tournaments as well as an extremely competitive community for more than 5 years (yesterday the KoD3 final took place).

1 Like

I don’t like it that a very small percentage of the player base is overtaking what the game once was, a fun, casual game you could play the way you want.

If that’s the reason why we won’t get any more meaningful content like new civs, my opinion about this part of the community is very, very negative.

2 Likes

I do agree modding support would have much better returns in the long run than a special game-mode developed in-the-house.
Especially if they’d actually help people find good matches quickly with interesting/popular mods/game-modes.

With good modding support an enthusiast could develop a battle-royale mode and 9 other enthusiasts could develop 9 other game modes.

4 Likes

Regarding the video and your screenshot it seems to be a non economic game where you need to capture buildings to increase your army and res output, while the map is shrinking.
There is also a neutral faction. I guess they protect the huge cities you can see in the video and raid the map as it is written on your screenshot.

2 Likes

The more I think about it this sounds better and better, it is a very different game mode, I hope it does not disappoint us

2 Likes

There’s exactly zero need for more civs. There are 35 right now, just coming up with meaningful bonuses for new ones would be hard. They’d end up with worthless techs like Cuman Mercenaries or Nomads

4 Likes

I still do not understand why there are people who ask for more civilizations, there are so many that it is impossible to get bored

4 Likes

what the game once was, a fun, casual game you could play the way you want.

Isn’t it exactly what they are creating? A BR mode is to me a fun, casual type of game.
I will never understand people complaining about having new game modes.

9 Likes