New Battle Royale game mode!

I have been playing since about 2005, so I got bored of all the civs. Like, I love the game, and I prefer some civs much more than others, but I don’t like any civ. I have a hard time picking a civ before a match.
In my case, I need more variety. 35 civs is just not enough for me. If you doubt new bonuses can’t be invented, there is a thread in this forum specifically talking about that.

2 Likes

for my part I prefer quality to quantity, that they concentrate on making the game more balanced, 35 civilizations is a gigantic quantity, there is no other rts that has a similar quantity without sacrificing variety and quality

1 Like

…which is MP only so doesn’t matter at all to me as singleplayer.

@MEXcucaracha: There are mods like Realms and Civ concept mod LLC for the original game and HD which showcase that still a lot can be done in terms of civ boni.

1 Like

Well, I myself don’t mind more casual gamemodes for practice. The multiplayer lobby system just felt bad as it was either “noob only” or some random games with no rating brackets.

Also imagine the esports around this. Nonstop action! Korean towers making them top tier civ!

I mean I have no doubt that this gamemode will die out on top level eventually, maybe in 6 months, but at least it should be entertaining. Just glad AoE2 has enough population to support multiple gamemodes now.

2 Likes

I really prefer a Co-op Mode like in SC2 rather than a Battle Royale. The benefits of this suggested game mode are as of the following;

1. This game mode can serve as the next steps for new players after the Art of War before heading into multiplayer.

2. Less toxicity since it allows 2-4 players vs A.I without ladder anxiety.

3. Since the enemy is A.I., the A.I. can be further improved and any bugs fixed.

4. This game mode also will allows you to experience playing as Subutai and Genghis Khan together. It’s up to AoE 2 Devs on how they’ll design co-op maps/campaigns/war scenarios.

While thinking of the Battle Royale, here are other trending game modes that can be added in an “Arcade” first an AoE Moba (You only control a heroic version of each civ’s UU) or perhaps an AOE FPS (First Person Spearman like Mordhau) that would be an extremely hilarious game mode for April Fools. I’m just sharing ideas so peace out.

2 Likes

It is probably also possible to use this game mode in SP. So it isnt MP only.

2 Likes

I doubt the AI will be able to play it, if it cant even play migration.

1 Like

Do u really play the same game?
U could already play co-op in unranked.

1 Like

Co-op similar to SC2 if possible. Not just a random co-op vs AI in multiplayer maps.

I do play this game for 12 years now, still I am preferring this gamemod over a new civ.

3 Likes

Not feasible for SP at all.

1 Like

Quite the opposite for me and yes, I played this game for 16 years.

Co op would be two player campaigns basically. Do a quick YouTube of sc2 coop for reference.

1 Like

except most of the stuff in those mods is just broken af and would destroy MP.
just ask for more mod support and leave the MP alone. and before you start with the “but single player guys are more than multiplayer guys”, this game has been kept alive by multiplayer, not by single player.
remember that you have aoe2de just because exists a competitive community who pushed the game and never stopped playing even when MS took away their support and shut down the zone.

1 Like

They could always script a new ai specifically for this gamemode

2 Likes

It’s due to the modders that the game is still alive.

If it would have been up to the MP community solely, the last Arabia Hun war or Viking galley war would have been played years ago.

The majority of HD sales which lead to the DLCs the whole AOE community now enjoys were driven by HD sales which the Voobly population at first didn’t really contribute due to the fact that the MP performance was and still is not that great for HD. I think that the majority of people which bought the DLCs were just interested in more content for the game to casually enjoy.

You have to thank Forgotten Empires and the HD remakes which were really popular back in 2013 for the revival of HD.

Voobly just kept the MP community alive, which is a great feat on its own, but in my opinion not the main reason why the game is thriving nowadays.

AOE2’s revival is also the reason why we got all the other DE’s as well as AOE4. In conclusion, I think Forgotten Empires and HD are the main reason why we’ll be getting AOE4, not some Third-Party MP client you had to know about to play on it.

We have to thank the AOE2 community as a whole why it’s thriving so much. Without the passion, the whole AOE revival wouldn’t have happened.

That’s why I find it dissappointing so far that most new SP content, if you can call an event challenge SP content, is rather minor compared to the substantial support MP so far has gotten. That’s just my impression though.

3 Likes

I wonder what happened to the mods manager in the upcoming revamp of the Main Menu.

2 Likes

seems like you have a completely different view then me. In my opinion this game was dead if we didnt had a MP community. I am sure that if we didnt had Voobly, Forgotten Empires would never exist.

3 Likes

They needed WololoKingdoms by @Jineapple to make AOF and all it’s expansion playable on Voobly. They would have missed on it for even more years without it. It’s also thanks to TaToH that the expansion data set got popular in the competitive scene because nobody wanted to play the underpowered AOF civs in multiplayer.

One thing the game teaches players is the concept of opportunity cost. If you want to build a castle, then the villagers that collected the stone weren’t collecting other resources, and there are other buildings you can’t build because you chose to build a castle. So it is with new game modes, they always come at the cost of having taken the place of other things that could have been done to the game instead.

1 Like