New civ concept: The Swiss

Great job with the tech tree balances. Seems like an average open map, but great Arena civ with monk bonus, halb bonus, arbalests and bombard canons/hc available.
Strong but not OP eco bonus too. Castle uu looks like a duplicate of Kamayuk. So you might have to come up with a different concept on that one. You need to add the stats of Mercenaries and what the unit is good against, weak against.

1 Like

The Swiss should definitely have squires and maybe a speed bonus for pikes on top of that. What made the swiss pikemen so strong is they were the only ones with enough discipline to use pike squares offensively, outright charging with them.

2 Likes

I fixed it removing arson tech and getting squires.

Swiss should be a purely economic civ, which is allied with both you and the enemy and looks after your gold from market trade (no tax questions asked) with a good interest rate. Also impossible to attack because their base is surrounded by gigantic alps.
Unique Tech: Lindt Chocolatier - Cows can be milked and provide a constant trickled source of food without needing to spend wood on farms.

4 Likes

How seriou is that proposal?

1 Like

I’m sure these mountains would appear in 1v1 Arabia

Swiss became famous after defeating Burgundy how are they the same thing then?

AOE2’s civs are not grand strategy nations that can be copypasted at will with just a flag and colour swap. Burgundians as they are are good enough to portray the Swiss.

And we can find so many examples of wars between factions that would be represented by the same civ…

We have cumans Huns and Mayans who were not United so perfectly fine.some ideas that can be of use.

Trainable cows from the TC costing gold.
All spear units having +1 range
Spear units having bonus against infantry
3rd upgrade to the pike line
Similar support unit to the condo from the barracks
UU a hybrid of kamyuk and gulam.gulam with range.
Free blacksmith line upgrades (which ever is remaining)
Gold trickle from herables.

1 Like

Trainable herdables with gold + gold trickle from herdables ? Same problem as letting the Gurjaras train sheeps, it would mean an unrestricted exponential boom. The longer you keep it running and the more out of control it gets. And with gold a.k.a. the resource you need for all the good stuff, on top of that…

The Portuguese and their feitoria avoid that problem by having the feitoria take 20 pop space, but you cannot have cattle take population space, it would utterly break their dark age

You misunderstood I was putting up random ideas that might fit the civi.combining these would be a very bad idea.

I thought of this weird bonus a while back for Cumans but can be for all trainable unit as team bonus. Imagine your civ gets paid each time an ally trains one of your units.

It’s a nice idea but pretty useless if the ally is not training mercenary units.

Why not make the uu return some gold when it’s dead?
I’d also like to see a mounted xbow show up as a unit but not sure if this is the civi to add that.

Swiss used Gunpowder and Infantry on their armies, so i think this unit could be good for Italians, or even Britons

Were mounted crossbows used for war in the first place ? In M&B you can only reload the basic hunting xbow while mounted.

Yes they were used not powerful as a Mongol composite bow but still had its uses.

The use of crossbow on horseback was historically limited to a small window between the use of pikemen to defend infantry against calvary and the development and use of firearms.
Pikemen were very effective against calvary, so a tactic was borrowed from Asian horse archers combining mobility with arrow (properly: bolt) fire from modestly powerful crossbows. The idea was to demoralize and break-up the line of pikeman so that traditional calvary could engage in traditional tactics.
The crossbows were ratchet or lever-cocked, making it possible for a horseman to reload while riding.

An illustration from 1467:

3 Likes

Weren’t they used in Scandinavian kingdoms aswell?

I do hope that if we won’t get a mounted crossbowman UU/regional unit then at least as a scenario editor unit along with a generic/European-looking genitour.

@IkoKnight8151 I apologize in advance for pinging but could suggestions for more scenario editor units like the ones I’ve mentioned be considered by the team?

They could inflict a temporary speed debuff on their target, since they apparently dealt low damage. I wonder if that can be coded ingame.

2 Likes

pretty sure its doable.

3 Likes

Suposed change for the 2nd civ bonus:

Mercenaries train 20% faster → Hand Cannoner affected by Barrack techs (Cost less food, 10% faster)