New Civ ideas

Think this is good idea for a very powerful anti skirmisher. Since anti archer + melee =huge damage to skirms. Would probably have to be careful with how much damage it does to give it counters, probably only cavalry and siege could counter it, might make it tough for civs like goths to deal with.

But keeping it’s damage low might mean it can’t handle towers. Maybe an attack bonus vs towers?

There’s also the concern of squires affecting it.

(edit for clarity)
You clearly went to a lott of effort to make this. Which is commendable. I don’t think i would have the patience to put in this much effort. And i understand its more of a proof of concept than final idea.

But as far as balance or diversity goes I think there is really a lot to be questioned.

For example higher farm yields so late in the game are almost worthless since it translates into a wood discount.

Having military buffed near vils and vice versa leads to incredible potential for abuse or difficulties in balance.

4PA cavalry would be absolutely insane. PA is an incredibly fine balance in the game. It is nothing like melee armour. FU paladins die in 60 shots to FU arbalests , with 4PA you have made your cavalry die in 80 shots. Nit only will archers be worthless, but your UU can raid towns and completely ignore the building fire even more so than paladins.

Bigger transports are worthless.

Vils moving faster on elevation is far too situational.

And those kinds of things.

1 Like

The unit skins are beautiful.
However, many of the designs may be useless, overpower or unachievable.
Also, some names and designs show that the textual researches of history were not enough well.
Finally, some civs is unnecessary since they are already be covered by other civs well or they had no empire, kingdom or a powerful society to influence the history on a large scale.

Whatever, nice try. I am trying design new civs too, and I am still researching about the history of civs I wanna make and the balance to the game.

2 Likes

The Dutch fall out of AoE II time frame or near the end. Even if you use people groups, the mentioned things like the fluyt tulip mania were outside the games time frame or near the end.

2 Likes

yes I knwo there are many balance issues with these idea… but honestly im not a competitive player… i made this list totally ignoring balancing factors and just wanted give the civs more unique play style, like you cannot play competitive with Sinhalese as it is much more complex than other civs but its fun with friends, for example :

players will want to play and try out other maps with elevation instead of playing same more popular map like arabia or black forest when playing with friends. This tech also bring concept of hill cultivation to the game which is still practiced in asian countries

actually for my case when game takes too long I run out of wood in maps that doesnt have plenty of wood like islands… as well as gold runs out, so it will be helpful to train trash units in late game

yes it is hard to master but i think many are up for the challenge

I just gave the ideas for the new civs, modders can decide what to keep and what to change. I have seen many people commenting they dont want more civs for competitive gameplay, so should the new civs really need to balanced?

2 Likes

I agree and I think we should come out of this term… the name of the game is age of empires but the civ design are like age of ethnicity . and it shouldnt be the way the game played :
For example The game is missing a really great civ… the normans , they had long lasting empires and made many accomplishments . But they will not add normans because franks cover them… when in reality normans are differant than typical franks in many ways

other factions can be Lombards,Ayutthya, indian subfactions, sino-subfactions, Habsbergs (i added them as Austrians), afghans , many american civs etc… the game would have been more fun if these civs were added separately. btw this civ concepts are from the poll so ya many people want to play these civs as well

Just give it lower Range.
Since it will benefit from Arson, with melee damage it will always be good against them (unless it has a really low Damage value).

Squires is precisely why it should have less Range.

1 Like

Before it became Franks, they may be more like Viking.

Since the civ of the game mean a culture and warfare umbrella, not only the classification of the ethnic groups.

Italians. The AoFE team had defined it.
Well, the player may be confused by the name “Italians” and think it should be not related with Germanic people.

Actually the Siamese.

It is a big issue. But at most 3 or 4 civ can be in the south Asian civ, don’t more than it.

Do you mean south east Asian?
Viet, Khmer, Malay, Burma, then maybe Siamese as a new one, enough.

How can it be different from Teuton which represents Holy Roman Empire?

Basically, Medieval Afghan dynasties were also Islamic Persian dynasties. Covering it by Persians in the game still has its accuracy.

In my opinion, just adding Iroquois to represent the north American, adding Mapuches to represent the south American who had different culture from Incas and maybe adding Muisca to be the last Mesoamerian civ can satisfy the empty of America in some degree without civ inflation.

1 Like

Make a “Wends” civilization to fix the Polish and Czech civilization for once and for all.

2 Likes

Normans would still be different from Franks or Vikings, as they had their famour Man-Cleaver Axes, a focus on Arab Archers in Sicily, and the dreaded Domesday Book in England.

They could easily be an Infantry + Archer civ with:
-Transport Ship bonus
-Poleaxemen UU Infantry with Trample Damage
-Roger’s Marksmen UT for Archer damage increase vs Siege or Ships
-Domesday UT for Knight damage increase vs Monks

Throwing Axe men? 11

I am not oppose the introducing of Norman, my point is we should not blame the civ choices on the game or dev team. Firstly satisfy the empty of the regions. Some civ have priority to introduce than others.

Norman Axes were not Thrown weapon.
Normans were nowhere near close to being like the Franks.

We have enough European civs, we need American and African civs more now.

Since most of the Medieval historical events were happened in the Old World, there are still limits for both American and African.
In my opinion, that will be enough to add new 2~3 civ for each American or African.

1 Like

If you want more people to enjoy them then yes they should have some degree of balance. Otherwise why don’t we all play with cheats on all the time if balance isn’t a factor?

But still good job on all the effort.

1 Like

All the factions in the poll are completed . have a look , now i may add new civ of my own ideas. then i will make posts for every individual civ in the list so we can discuss about them and i will share from where i get the ideas , we can discuss if i am right or wrong and then we can come up with ideas best fit for the civ

done

changed polynesian UT and added new unit . check it out

2 Likes

europa universalis 4 wiki is a good place to get ideas for UT names:
https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Countries
you can open any country, for example i can open Tibet to get national ideas for Tibetans: Vajrayana Buddhism, Bön Influence, Potala Palace, The Pale Earth School
or Armenia to get ideas for Armenians such as: Apostolic Church, Melikdom Organization, Sygnakhs, Nakharar Titles
And then check the idea names in wikipedia and adjust them as a tech for the respective civ in aoe2.

2 Likes

also, about the urumi,
i hope they have better pants
they are too naked in my opinion

1 Like

It seems to be part of Tamil martial arts, to practice almost naked.

Though in reality they would probably wear at least padded gambeson, or would be shredded by arrow barrages.

2 Likes

LoL all three pictures you posted are from Malayalam Martial Arts (Kalaripayattu), not Tamil.
A simple google search of those images will give you.

2 Likes

Well, seems I made a mistake.

2 Likes