New Civ Recommendations In Case Of Future Expansions (WIP list)

this is a compilation of civ ideas that i hope, are considered to be added into AoE2 in the future

i used snipping tools to import pictures from the age of empires fandom into PowerPoint for the tech tree and unique units and then i upload it here to make it easier to understand instead of listing what they don’t have in case you don’t memorize things, and so it’s easier for me to see what i need to edit, (for example if i was making a civ concept and forgot battle elephants were a thing, i could end up not listing them as missing from the tech tree and then BAM! Tlaxcalan elephants)

i have to say i took inspiration from tech trees made by @JonOli12 and @Szaladon, and @StereoQuasar163 gets a bit of a special mention since he gave some very good images which i could get inspired by

feedback is appreciated!

Mughals or Delhi Sultanate

Renamed current Indians, only differences are aesthetics

new Islamic music

a change in language if needed, as Mughals were outsiders they might have a variation of Hindi, or it could be changed to fit the Delhi Sultanate

lion and sun coat of arms

wonder could be Taj Mahal or Agra Fort, other examples can be found here or if you want the Delhi Sultanate, here

new campaign about conquest of india, might make a reference to Tatar civ

maybe about resisting the mongol invasions though (that could be a historical battle)

Tamils

This civ is mostly based off of the Cholas

further reading can be found here

Strategy

They are an infantry and elephant civ,

they have nice skirmishers, rams, and hussars to support your army

feudal age rushing with archers is a good way to weaken if not kill your opponent, while you are waiting for your elephants

a good style of play is a fast castle to mass elephants, infantry, and their unique units, and support with other units

on water maps it is important to take control in the early game, and stopping your opponent in the later stages from building a dock since they lack galley

they would start to drop off in long games, like how the Chola empire dropped off after a while

Bonuses

Elephants regenerate, and/or their trample damage/range is increased

Foot archers take less bonus damage from skirmishers and other anti-archer units

Food does not rot when there is at least one Tamil villager collecting from it

Fire ship upgrades free (does not need galley upgrades) or they have more range

Team Bonus

Urumi available in team barracks in imperial age

Unique units

Castle Unique Unit: Chariot, a unit that can switch from ranged to melee attacks (my original concept was to have both attacks, but that might be impossible) like packing and unpacking (bow to sword/lance), they move at the speed of a camel, they wouldn’t have the best hit points, more attack than an arblest at range, and just a about the melee attack of a hussar, costs food and gold, but could be wood and gold, but either way would be gold intensive, may or may not have trample damage, it also has a large hitbox, (and maybe bad pathing) to prevent it from being too overpowered, and keeping it similar to real chariots,
Backup Concept: Give them conversion resistance, bonus damage resistance, and/or Trample damage, and make the previous concept a scenario editor unit
Backup Castle Unique Unit (i hope i can save this for another civilization though): Flail Elephant, could be Royal elephant and have the same ability as the chariot, but the ability is one of the main reasons for the backup unique unit, as it is controversial, i suggest it just has a tanky melee attack that’s higher than elephants, and a bonus attack against buildings and stone defenses, while having less hitpoints, however it moves slightly faster, and what gives this unique unit its identity is that upon death it acts like a flaming camel, with a bonus against buildings and the blast radius of a petard, or the flail that the unit uses could be swung like a mace, giving it a spray attack, it would cost food and gold but be gold intensive, would have no base armor, deals trample damage

Secondary Unique Unit: Urumi, a decent health unit with no base armor but with high attack and a bonus against infantry, also pretty fast, they would have an average cost, costing food and gold while being more gold intensive, and they would be a team unit available in imperial barracks, may or may-not deal trample damage, though they are better at fighting multiple units that other infantry usually were

Unique Techs

Castle age: Vetri Vel (monks cost 25 food and 75 gold or 100 food and 50 gold, and/or they move faster)
Imperial age: Adimurai (Infantry deflect 1/3 of the melee damage received, number is not decided so it may seems OP but can be tweaked, instead of being a fraction it could be a set number, so it only deflects for example 3 attack, even if the opponent does 4 attack or 200 attack)

Tech Tree
Barracks:
What they miss in imperial age is made up for with their imperial age Unique Tech

Archery Range:
Archers in feudal are a good choice, and skirmisher support is good all the way through imperial age

Stable:
Seems blocked, but this is where their power comes from

Siege Workshop:
if using the workshop, I suggest using the rams, but the tech tree is a bit blocked

Dock:
the dock is good, but lacks a bit

Monastery:
Monks are very good

Castle:
no sappers

Blacksmith:
mostly only affects the units you use

University:
i’d say like blacksmiths

Defenses:
(of course they also have castles)
no bombard tower weakens the civ a bit
Town Center:
i’m not sure if any civilization misses out on this stuff
Economy:
okay
Market:
standard
Others:
only huns miss out

Aesthetics:
Architecture: Indian

Language: Medieval Tamil

Music: Traditional Tamil Music

Coat of Arms: adapted version of their flag
this is the Chola flag but there are other tamil flags during this time, further reading here

Wonder: they can steal from the current Indians, or use this one (i presume it was more colorful when it was built)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brihadisvara_Temple,_Gangaikonda_Cholapuram

Campaign (includes battles and appearances):

Their Campaign would be about their conquest of south east Asia
the first scenario would be a “from humble beginnings” scenario as i like to call them (like the first aztec scenario) so you can get used to the civilization, i would make it about the three Tamil kingdoms

for the whole campaign, they would be stuck in castle age, (so they don’t get the Urumi, since it was other Tamils who used them), probably fighting opponents who are in the imperial age, they also don’t get camels until after the battle of koppam, if that’s in the campaign

they would replace the Indians in the Khmer campaign and others were they are better suited to

Rajputs or Rajsthan

This civ is based off of the Rajput clans, which would add a needed indian civ, and better represent Prithviraj and his campaign

further reading can be found by clicking the link

Strategy

They are a cavalry civ,

their bonuses a bit passive but they have a good tech tree

they have a strong early imperial age, and castle age rushing with knights are recommended, as when you hit imperial age, and then research the cavalier upgrade, you then boost ahead with free paladin upgrade

if going for an infantry style of play you must remember as the Rajputs don’t have two-handed swordsmen or halbediers and you must fill their role with your unique unit

on water maps they are decent, but they miss dry dock

they would have strength in the mid to late game, but not in the super late game, however, they have trash wars potential and can mass up units, but they would have to make a large transition of their strategy

they are resilient to early rushing as their town centers are more accurate, and their archers are just that much better

Bonuses

have +20 population added to what you normally have, this means even with all houses, town centers, castles, and anything that i forgot that gives population space destroyed, you still have 20 available, so 4 less houses are required for population maximum, and you have more population at the beginning of a game

paladin upgrade free after getting cavalier upgrades free

your first stable is free

Team Bonus

free ballistics in dark age

Unique units

Castle Unique Unit: Pata, a sword gantlet infantry with a fast attack rate, they fill in the role of champions, but they are faster and have more swarming potential, and they are a bit cheaper than a champion with supplies, they also partially fill in the halbedier role, but camels are encouraged to take on cavalry

Unique Techs

Castle age: Kila (walls get spikes added to them, this basically makes walls melee towers that have a bonus vs cavalry and even more to elephants, but they do about no damage to rams, all defensive structures could also receive a hit point boost)
Imperial age: Kshatriya (Rajput warriors are trash units, and villagers can be turned into Rajput warriors for a small gold fee, any Rajput warrior can be turned into a villager for free, but when turning them back the gold fee is still required)

Tech Tree
Barracks:
What they miss out on is supposed to encourage you to make their unique unit, (or camels if you want an anti-cavalry role)

Archery Range:
Average tech tree

Stable:
their main weak points are probably the fact they miss out on husbandry, making their elephants and knights slower, note that they had hussar, but i took it out as they would feel a bit like Persians

Siege Workshop:
good tech tree

Dock:
i don’t think they had a navy, so i replaced shipwright with dry dock, making them a bit better, but they would eventually diminish if the game goes on

Monastery:
Monks can heal your army but are not advised

Castle:
all castle techs available

Blacksmith:
drops off in late game, but standard until then

University:
they miss some things, shouldn’t weaken them too much

Defenses:
filled to the brim
Town Center:
again, i’m not sure if any civilization misses out on this stuff
Economy:
good if you don’t horde stone
Market:
good
Others:
obviously

Aesthetics:

Language: medieval Hindi or a variation

Music: make a Mughal theme, then give the current indians that, while taking their theme

Coat of Arms: as the Rajputs were separate clans, their coat of arms varied, though i feel an adapted version of the elephant ones would look good, list of those are here, you could also adapt their simpler flags, which can be found here
they could also use the current indian coat of arms, as the Mughals will anyways get a lion and sun one

Wonder: out of all the forts, i suggest Junagarh_Fort for being similar to the current Indian architecture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junagarh_Fort

Their Campaign would be a restyled Prithviraj campaign, i see it has having the same story and scenarios, but adjusted to be balanced with the new civ

im not sure which indians they would replace in the existing campaigns

Sinhalese or Sinhala

This civ is mostly based off of the Sinhalese
further reading can be found here
Strategy
They are an infantry civ,
they have nice archers, gunpowder units, and Elephants to support your army, you can also use other cavalry but they won’t be as good
If rushing in feudal age you can use it to secure relics, as once you hit castle you can send a monk to grab it
a good style of play is a fast castle to mass infantry, and their unique units, and support with other units
They start to pick up a bit in long games as long as you have the resources, as they have access to an array of units
trash wars aren’t the best situation, as they miss the light cavalry upgrade, but theyhave faster training spearman and skirmishers, and if the Nilame isn’t gold intensive, it would probably be food intensive with little gold
Bonuses
Fisherman and fishing ships carry more
Spearman and skirmishers are created faster
Monks can be made from town centers
Relic generate a trickle of food, but generate slower food slower than gold
Team Bonus
Cavalry does bonus attack against infantry
Unique units
Castle Unique Unit (This is the backup for the Tamils): Flail Elephant, could be Royal elephant and have the same ability as the chariot, but i suggest it just has a tanky melee attack that’s higher than elephants, and a bonus attack against buildings and stone defenses, while having less hitpoints, however it moves slightly faster, and what gives this unique unit its identity is that upon death it acts like a flaming camel, with a bonus against buildings and the blast radius of a petard, or the flail that the unit uses could be swung like a mace, giving it a spray attack, it would cost food and gold but be gold intensive, would have no base armor, deals trample damage

Secondary Unique Unit: Nilame, an infantry unit that negates some of the bonus attack received, like a cataphract, it would probably cost food and gold, but not costing too much gold, being a viable trash unit, or it could be gold intensive

Backup Secondary Unique Unit (this is if the Tamils take the flail elephant, in which case the Nilame is the castle unit): Sinhalese Spearman, an upgrade of the halberdier, like all unique upgrades all it does is give better stats
Unique Techs
Castle age: Spice Trade (you ad maybe your teammates trade units are faster)
Imperial age: Angampora (infantry deal bonus damage to other infantry)
Tech Tree
Barracks:
Highlight of the Civilization

Archery Range:
Open, but not the best

Stable:
Knights and light cavalry would work early on, but the only reason you make a stable is probably for the elephants

Siege Workshop:
rams and siege onager are blocked as a Sinhalese player knows to tear down buildings with elephants and bombard cannons
Dock:
the dock is good, but lacks a bit

Monastery:
Monks are okay

Castle:
no hoardings

Blacksmith:
the imperial age takes a big hit

University:
i’d say like blacksmiths

Defenses:
not the best but reliable unitl imperial age
Town Center:
Economy:
okay
Market:
standard
Others:
only huns miss out
Aesthetics:
Language: Medieval Sinhalese
Music: traditional Sinhalese music
Coat of Arms: either an adapted version of the Dharmachackra of Bhuddism,
or something that can be found here
Wonder: something featured in here
their historical battle would be about how they gained independence from the Chola, or how they gained it from the Portuguese
i don’t think any campaign includes Sri lanka so they might not have to replace the Indians anywhere

Siamese or Siam

This civ is mostly based off of the Ayutthaya and Sukhothai empires
further reading can be found here, here, and here

Strategy

They are an infantry and elephant civ,

they have nice gunpowder units, and cavalry to support your army

Archers are okay, but since they lack the mid and late game armor upgrades you should use other units

a good style of play is a fast castle to mass elephants, infantry, and their unique units, and support with other units

They start to pick up a bit in long games they lose a bit in their tech tree by post-imperial but they have gunpowder units if you have the recourses

If you need an anti-cavalry unit you should just use their cavalry

Their gold bonus means they do better in trash wars than other civs

Bonuses

Farms give a small gold boost proportional to how much food was in the farm when they run out,

Elephants have more line of sight

Cavalry has bonus damage against cavalry

Team Bonus

Imperial upgrades of Castle unique units are available, they would be proportional to the elite upgrade (for example it costs 1.5 times the elite upgrade and give .75 times the stats of of the upgrade, numbers need tweaking)

Unique units

Castle Unique Unit: Now if we played around, we could give them the flail elephant (as mentioned in my Tamil and Sinhalese civ concepts), however I have a different unit planed for them: Ngao info can also be found in here, this unit is faster than a generic hussar, and has a high attack, but low health and no melee armor, it makes up for this with a high pierce armor, making it good for sniping enemy units such as kings, however, it has a decent creation time, meaning it is harder to massup then average shotel warriors or huskarls

Secondary Unique Unit: Imperial Battle Elephant, upgrade of Elite Battle Elephant

Unique Techs

Castle age: Ayutthyan Guards/Ayutthyan Royal Guards (infantry garrisoned in buildings add armor to the building, possibly to a limit)
Imperial age: Chakkraphat [name is used in the Burmese campaign, a source I used that’s proof that it’s related to Siam can be found here
(this tech could either be the opposite to atheism, or what would suggest is to have it affect battle elephants, ngao, and the swordsmen line, I would make it so the units are created faster, but an alternative is to give them regeneration, however this is already occupied buy the Tamils), or we could play with trample damage

There is an alternative to go for Krabi-Krabong a thai martial art if the other ones aren’t appeasing

Tech Tree
Barracks:
No halberdier since you have anti-cavalry at the stable, no arson since you have elephants, other than that they are perfect here

Archery Range:
Try not to lean on them too much, they pretty much have the worst in the game

Stable:
You should make this almost every game

Siege Workshop:
no siege ram hurts, but only a bit

Dock:
ot the best for water maps

Monastery:
If you can protect them, you can use them, but otherwise it’s hard to say

Castle:
above average considering your imperial upgrade

Blacksmith:
Archers take a big hit, their cavalry is not that bad considering what you get in exchange
University:
Shouldn’t be too bad, no siege engineers hints a bit towards elephants

Defenses:
no bombard tower weakens the civ a bit
Town Center:
Economy:
Okay
Market:
No guilds
Others:
only huns miss out

Aesthetics:
Architecture: South East Asian

Language: Medieval Thai

Music: Traditional Thai Music

Coat of Arms: adapted version of their existing coat of arms, I will be honest and say the coat of arms is a little bit in the AoE3 timeline, as the article did not provide earlier examples, more information can be found here (note the shield in the center of the coat of arms, the three headed elephant would be nice to include)
Or it could be an adapted version of their flag (which is a bit bland, not to mention it happened at 1680), more information can be found here
Wonder: I’m not sure but information can be found here

Their Campaign could be about Naresuan’s life

Alternatives are the Burmese-Siamese Wars, or how they split from the Khmer Empire

6 Likes

Really nice civ concept… Have really good unique ideas. I will take some ideas from here when making a subfaction of my own

how will this work ? they will have two abilities to change weapon?

1 Like

Interesting!

I’m wondering about the mechanic of a unit switching between range and melee, we haven’t seen that before.

Also deflecting a third of melee damage, not sure we’ve seen something like that either? Like a debuff to enemy attack. There would also need to be a way for the enemy to see that it’s been researched.

In general it feels maybe a bit one dimensional, you’re basically required to play BE or UU with trash in imperial since they dont have any of the other imperial units.

Also lacking bracer weakens the dock a lot.

1 Like

pack and unpack (like trebs they just play an animation then switch unit)
i presented this idea before and it was controversial, hence my backup UU
i would like to keep that for the Sinhalese though

probably if the enemy’s attack animation isn’t playing, yet you still got hurt
or maybe a popup like spies
or attentive score watching

that’s kind of the jist, would you change anything?

fire ships is their main play at the dock
demo ships are good too
this is reflected in missing galleon, their imperial docks are worse than castle, i suggest winning water control then, and demo ship vills building a dock

thank you for the feedback!
it’s appreciated!

Why don’t they have strong navy? They had the best navy in India

1 Like

and Elite Cannon Galleons and Galleons

1 Like

They should have a much stronger navy with full naval techs. They were one of the great naval powers in the medieval period. Also strong agriculture techs and bonuses, as the Tamil lands were a rice basket region.

1 Like

no, not gunpowder, it doesn’t suit them as much
im adding bracer though

i gave them hunting bonus as tamils were hunters and there are already so many farm bonuses

How would the free fire ship upgrade work, as isn’t it tied to the galley upgrade? maybe make it fast fire ship is free. You don’t have to take my suggestion seriously and please explain if it is possible to get only one of the unit upgrades for free.

Otherwise I think the civ is amazing, I would give them bracer as they don’t really have good archers.

1 Like

to make it instantaneous we would have to “untie” the upgrade, this is proabably something that can make naval tech trees more diverse if it is universal, but for now i’m only going to untie tamil fireships
i updated the blacksmith to have bracer

how about this in the chat?
Player # Player_Name has the best fighters in the world! do you dare challenge them?

however this can lead to the opponent massing archers and i would prefer the opponent doesn’t know, as with Druzhina for example
as with other civs, the player should know that imperial Tamil infantry are very strong and should know to mass archers as soon as the other player hits imperial

I’m thinking it should be something you can see on the unit when you click on it. Like any enemy unit you click on you can see there armor and attack upgrades. So you’ll only know when you scout them, rather then it being announced. In a sense this debuff is similar to an armor upgrade which is why I suggest it be handled this way. Drunzhina is similar to Logistica I guess when you take those fights you just have to be prepared for potential splash damage haha.

1 Like

That makes sense, I’d like to see it, I feel like it could be fun! It’s not entirely unprecedented either with the konnik/dismounted konnik

Well I’m not overly familiar with their history, but would it make sense for them to get heavy camel and imperial camel, like their indian neighbor? Might be cool to see the imperial camel more often. But maybe that throws the balance off too much.

I also think adding bracer makes sense, since it effects the range of the UU, and the skirms.

1 Like

It would not make sense for the Tamils to get camels, as camels in india were mainly in north and west india, where the delhi sultanate was (indians in game rn) and I believe that the Tamils were located in south India. Elephants would make more sense for them.

3 Likes

They had gunpowder…

1 Like

adding normal camel might be a stretch itself, they took camels from their enemies at the battle of koppam, yet im not sure if they actually used them
anyways, the imp camel is a uu

that makes sense, there could be an icon of a hand holding a wrist, as if he was stopping the punch, and an elephants foot icon for damage radius would be nice (for trample damage units)

@CheshireWig3203
“the cholas had perhaps never seen the cannon.”
found some evidence, anyways, i don’t think they need it, since transport landings would do a better job

1 Like

Cool civ design. Some points to note:

1. Civ bonuses seem to lack an economic bonus, so not an early game/open map civ but this is okay.
  2. Infantry/Elephant civ but has +1 or +2 range on archers and skirmishers. This is just OP from castle age onwards even without the other archer armors. Also hard to consider a civ without last infantry armor upgrade as an infantry civ.
  3. Elephants taking same damage as other cavalry would mean its only +32 attack for halberdiers. Even Japanese halberdiers would take a huge amount of time to kill them. It would be OP in DM or RM-Black Forest
  4. Unique techs - one is almost pointless like Madrasah and other is similar to Bulgarian unique tech Bagains but it would make halberdiers OP
  5. Unique units - Ranged/Melee unit with range more than Arbalest and melee attack almost that of champion is way too OP. Konniks with just Cavalry/Infantry switch itself were quite insane when DE released and had to be nerfed. This range/melee switch is too powerful.
    The second unique unit is just similar to shotels, not very useful in most situations.
  6. Fire ship upgrades free is quite powerful in water/hybrid terrain maps.
    Overall quite an imbalanced hypothetical civ thats too weak early game, too OP mid-late game.

Btw, why are we discussing a new civ?. When DE released it was announced that there would be no more new civs in the game forever.

1 Like

i tried to give them easy boar start
they technically do, but only on water maps with free fireship upgrades

they lack even crossbow, i anyways made a backup bonus
also, their imp unique tech makes up for their missing armor tech

suggestions?

it could be expensive, shouldi change it from 1/3 to 1/4? 1/6?
the “useless one” was adjusted since it used to be to OP

that’s why i have a backup uu, the unit could be expensive (chariots were generals)

as they lack
-Champion
-Paladin
-And Hand cannon,
this is their anti-infantry unit

true, but miss galleon, and cannon galleon,
kind of like goths, with this civ you have to catch them before they have their good units
suggestions?

speculation and hope

I think its better to remove all the gunpowder and camel units so they feel different from the north indian faction.

2 Likes