New civilization brainstorming: Brasil

That’s one of the things that I liked about WoL. Slavery was a thing in those times and WoL didn’t try to make it more palatable.

2 Likes

Some ideas for State Cards:

• Quilombo dos Palmares: Age up with Pernambuco, ships 15 African Levied Gunners, allows you to train Levied Gunners from your Houses.
  • Ragamuffin War: Age up with Rio Grande do Sul, ships 8 Brummer mercenaries, replaces all Voluntários Académicos with Czapka Uhlans, all Cards that send Voluntários Académicos send Czapka Uhlans instead and ships 2 extra.
  • Miners’ Inconfidencia: Age up with Minas Gerais, replaces every Settler and Worker into an Inconfidente (Skirmisher-like unit that can mine), Town Centers produce Inconfidentes automatically.
3 Likes

How about setting a “stop loss”.

I have seen others put forward the idea that the English-speaking revolutionary nations are represented by the United States, the Spanish-speaking revolutionary nations are represented by Mexicans, and the Portuguese-speaking revolutionary nations are represented by Brazil, so the revolutionary nations series only need these three.

Keep the other revolutionary nations in the European Revolution options, and update the European Revolution versions of these three to use their civilization-unique units and characteristics.

Inconfidência Mineira is pre-independence, so it wouldn’t make sense as a revolution for independent Brazil.

I was thinking about rearranging the Imperial provinces, like switching Pernambuco and Alagoas but I haven’t had the time to do it. Either way, it would not be the First Time that the developers would represent historical events out of order. For example, even tho you can access the Revolution of Baja California (Filibusters) as Mexico in Age II and the Revolution of California in Age IV, the later precedes the first (California - 1846; Baja California (and later Sonora) - 1853-1854). Also, I was planning for Inconfidência Mineira to be a Card similar to Inca’s Tupac Rebellion Card, rather than a full blown Revolution.

I began writing a pitch for Brazil a few months ago, but didn’t finish it. Had about 60% of it done…

As a unique mechanic, I came up with the idea of Provincial Revolts. They are kind of mini-revolutions allowing you to quickly raise an army, but without sacrificing your entire economy.

1 Like

Claro,de última sería como México con cartas pasando por cada una de las edades del Imperio de Brasil:

1. Edad de la Exploración: Brasil portugués (1500-1815/1822): cartas y mejoras portuguesas,españolas,tupíes y jesuitas…

1. Edad del Comercio: Brasil pre y post independencia (1815/1822-1834):Voluntarios da Patria,Guerra del Brasil con Argentina y revolución con Cisplatina (Uruguay)…

1. Edad de las Fortalezas: Revolución Farroupilha (1835-1845):Revolución con Río Grande y Santa Catarina,que tendrían camisas rojas de Garibaldi…

1. Edad Industrial: Guerra Platina,expansión en la Amazonia y conflicto diplomático con Gran Bretaña (Cuestión Christie) (1845-1865)…

1. Edad Imperial: Guerra de la Triple Alianza hasta la proclamación de la República (1865-1889)…

4 Likes

I like some of the ideas for the civ that you’ve posted here but I think the unit names that you chose are a bit of an issue: Fuzileiros is basically just Portuguese for Fusiliers which is already a Merc, Caçadores is already one of the unique units for the Portuguese and Lanceiros is just Portuguese for Lancers, a Spanish Unique Unit. I like your other ideas though, especially the Imperial Palace.

1 Like

Yeah… This is becoming more and more unavoidable as more units are added to the game. But I guess it won’t be that much of an issue if the units have distinct enough unit models to avoid confusion.

1 Like

Nah, that’s a lazy justification. You can easily find unique names for all units you need. You just need to actually, you know, find units that are unique to the country and not try to cram there in a place where a generic unit will do.

2 Likes

Well… I largely agree with what you say but then you get FE here coming up with such unique names like Padre, Soldado, Salteador, Marine and Regular for both the Mexican and US civs respectively, so they can’t always be winners. That’s why I chose Praça as the “musketeer” unit for Brazil (yeah it’s a tad generic but if both Mexicans and US Americans can get away with Soldado (literally “soldier”) and Regular (every trained soldier who is payed is considered a “regular”) then so can Brazil.

1 Like

It’s not that easy… Especially when we’re talking about a unit that is supposed to represent your average foot soldier.

Honestly, I prefer these rather generic names than trying to make up something super unique that doesn’t represent what that unit is.

Praça is actually a pretty good idea, since no one else has anything similar yet. Personally, I still prefer “Fuzileiro” however.

2 Likes

Then it has to be “Fusilier something” or “something Fusilier” to make it consistent with the other units like the Fusilier (Merc) and the Ottoman Nizam Fusilier.

1 Like

I actually like Praça as an unique unit name. Very characteristic to Brazil and easily identifiable as brazilian. It’s more about things like Fuzileiros or just Cassador (which Portugal already has) that I have problems with.

2 Likes

Mais abaixo eu coloquei como ele deve ser dividido o civ por idades…

No mod Wars of Liberty, as plantações brasileiras usam escravos e com chicotes você pode fazê-los trabalhar mais rápido ao custo de tirar suas vidas…

3 Likes

Hey at least it’s realistic and crude in that sense isn’t it? xd

2 Likes

Nobody really likes that tho. Not even the Devs.It’s in very bad taste,

1 Like

That’s a good option… although the engenhos could be factories more markets too…

1 Like

Well they are things that happened and you have to live with it and not just hide it for being “politically correct” with the minorities…

2 Likes