New Civs: Northern African Civ / Berbers, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, or Habsburg Monarchy

If you only play a regional force in one game (in the New World maps, it is a colony far away from the crown), it seems not difficult to understand that this regional force can even be turned into e.g. Switzerland through a revolution

Of course, it’s a whole topic… gameplay is one thing and historical justification is another…

1 Like

The Maltese could have French and British revolutions. Of course not actual revolutions, rather Occupations (French) and Dominion (British) but a change nevertheless.

Yes, or more thematic cards about that…

1 Like

So is there any problem with the Free Imperial Cities or the Junkers breaking away from the HRE to form Switzerland or Prussia?

I don’t think so…Swiss and Prussians could fit perfectly…

Yes. The problem is that Prussia was never part of the Holy Roman Empire and Switzerland was, in a sense, independent of it.

1 Like

Remember

I see there are some historical discussions here, they are allowed, they are related to the historical era of aoe3. As long as they do it with respect.

I’ve advocated for that for a while now.

1 Like

Yes, it’s quite a topic, as long as we stick to what the whole political mess was that was the HRE between 1400 and 1800, everything is fine…

Although the possibility is slim due to the addition of the Royal Houses as Minor Civs, I honestly think that German Civ could be further subdivided.
For example: Austrians, Prussians (Brandenburgians), Bavarians, Saxons, Hanseatics, and Swiss.

And all German Civs will be given the option to form the German Empire in a system very similar to regular Revolution. And some Civs are given their own further options.
For example: Austrians: to form Austro-Hungarian Empire, Swiss: to form Swiss Confederation

1 Like

Well the possibility is not slim, it’s basically nonexistent because it was already said that no German split will happen. If that will be the same in a few years who knows, but for the near future there will only exist one Germany…

Sorry to burst this bubble however:

(Via Discord)

Tilanus 12/15/2023 3:14 PM

I don’t see ourselves adding more royal houses, but I’m glad you’re a big fan of them - they’re also my favorite type of minor civs in the game!*

I really hope they change their mind on this as this also probably means there’s very little chance adding any new Natives to existing regions, not just Royal Houses!

1 Like

Yes. The problem is that Prussia was never part of the Holy Roman Empire and Switzerland was, in a sense, independent of it.

I see your point, but I can’t completely say that Prussia has nothing to do with the HRE, because it is also possible that Markgrafschaft Brandenburg can be regarded as the main body of the Kingdom of Prussia, without having “Brandenburg” in the name of the successor kingdom

But it is also true that they wanted to be an independent power rather than only exist as part of the Holy Roman Empire. That is why they used such cunning means to ascend to “Kingdom”.

1 Like

It’s not that I don’t understand that the developers’ policy is to treat Germans as a single entity.

However, in my opinion, before the establishment of the German Empire, the German regions were more like a collection of closely related but unique countries than a single state, so I think there could have been a little more done with them rather than an umbrella culture.

What I stated above is still just my personal opinion. However, it is a bit too problematic to lump together Austria and Switzerland, which were not ultimately incorporated into the German State. Moreover, they still exist as separate Nations.

2 Likes

A little medieval, but as it says it lasted until the 30 years wars, it could enter…

F in the chat…

Sure, Prussia does belong to the HRE but as part of Brandenburg…

It must be for reasons of not upsetting the Germans too much and scaring away the German players…

True, it’s quite a topic…because if you divide the Germans then you have to move cards and units from one civ to the other and they don’t want to get into that mess and spend money until they have added other civs like Poland, Denmark, Greece and Wallachia in Europe or Persia, Burma, Siam, Vietnam and Korea in Asia…

It would be a good gift for the 20th anniversary, which is 2025. Austria taking the place of the current Germany, and Prussia being something newer.

2 Likes

Yes, the most likely thing is that by 2025 they will release several dlcs throughout the year to celebrate the 20th anniversary of AoE 3…20 years already, how old I feel xd…

2 Likes