New crash : Visual C++ Runtime Library Assertion Failed

Very same for me, started only some weeks ago.
I guess it has to be some sort of software malfunction with the last update, so let’s hope the MS team will get it solved soon…

PS: thanks @ButtoningCub19. I have been doing that but for me, it still crashes.

I’ve tried all the suggestions as well, same issue still occurs within minutes. Unplayable.

I’m having the same problem… very consistently …
Impossible to finish a Multiplayer game.

Somehow the only time it dosen’t happen was when my friends were on my network (not lan).

Any news on this?? Unfortunately I am having the same problem…

I downloaded the definitive edition three weeks ago and have had no major problems… until tonight. For some reason tonight the game crashes either immediately or within around half an hour of start time on multiplayer, with the prompt everyone is describing. It is extremely frustrating and gameplay is impossible on multiplayer!

I have updated my graphics drivers, re-downloaded whatever the ■■■■ Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime is, and restarted the game. Nothing. This game flat out doesn’t work anymore.

This is one of my all-time favorite games, but it’s useless now, and during quarantine! I saw a thread earlier of kind of best practice restart your computer type catchall solutions, but I haven’t seen a patch or explanation anywhere. I’m new here–does Microsoft read these boards and offer solutions or are we just out of luck?

Can you guys finally fix that please? We have so much time right now to play our favourite game but we can’t do it due to that silly bug. The game is completely dead for everyone affected at the moment.

Well, we have been talking to a developer, @GMEvangelos , but his last reply was 10 days ago.
I am not sure whether Microsoft ppl are on it, if they follow this topic or if they are aware that it’s affecting quite a lot of users…

Bottom line: I paid for a game that I can’t play!
It’s absolutelly frustrating to try out so many things without success. At the moment I consider requesting a refund.

我也是一直遇到這個問題
直到我更新了 INTEL晶片驅動程式以後
目前實驗好多場都沒這問題
還在觀察中
希望這資訊能幫助到大家
我英文不好所以用GOOGLE翻譯~.~
I have always encountered this problem
Until I updated the Intel chip driver
There are no problems in many experiments.
Still under observation
Hope this information will help everyone

就在剛剛就發生C++ 錯誤了 -.-
事實證明 更新晶片驅動還是會發生
The C ++ error happened just now -.-
It turns out that updating the chip driver still happens

2 Likes

Did this today, worked perfectly for an hour, then the same error as always.

I try to update all, change all settings but still the problem. Can we have updates about this problem in this thread ?
Good luck AoE Dev Team

1 Like

… a month of this?

Not sure if this will help but a few friends of mine and I are having the same issue. We diagnosed it through Windows Event Viewer to a low virtual memory condition:

Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: AoE2DE_s.exe (3352) consumed 15198748672 bytes

We all increased our page file size:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

It seemed to work for them but I have an older rig and not available space. I bumped it up to 8GB (recommended is 2938MB) and still having issues. They bumped theirs up much higher and seem to be ok.

Microsoft is notorious for memory leaks so let me know if this helps anyone else and maybe they can address the issue in the next patch.

I’ll give it a go… although I have 32GB of ram in my machine and it doesn’t go near 50% when playing.

I think this issue is fixed for me, I will update again if I do see the crash.

I had the game installed on a second steam library on raid0 SSDs, Through steam I moved the install to my primary steam library on my boot disk.

Note I am also playing in Full Desktop mode

Hi @B1itzs, sounds good, let us know how it goes!
I have the problem that my boot disk is really small and the steam items must be allocated to the SSD, so I wasn’t able to try that one.
Will try the hint proposed by @HankMarducas0 and let you guys know.

@GMEvangelos and @ADragon8602, any news from the dev’s side about this problem? Thanks in advance for the reply!

2 Likes

Interesting! I tried @HankMarducas0’s hint. Bumped the Virtual to 50000 and it still crashed. HOWEVER, my install is also installed on a second steam library not on the boot disk. I will give this a try!

Sadly, that also failed for me. I used Steam to move the library files from D: to C: and tried to resume the saved game that always crashes on me, and 5 minutes in… It crashed again. :frowning:

@Ceptor2873 same story here.
Many more things tried, same crash as always. :weary:

Ok, I haven’t seen the C++ assertion error for a day.
Now what happens is that I get a black screen mid game, 100% of the time, both multiplayer and single player.

I don’t know what else to do or to expect. I simply can’t play an entire match for a month or so.

2 Likes

I’m getting the same bug
game froze like It used to with the C++ crash, then went it came back to it senses it was frozen like this