New DLC, New Units

I would like to discuss potential new units that might appear with the upcoming Danmark-Norway + Poland-Lithuania focused-DLC.

Here we could list iconic and representative military and non-military units that could be added as proper units, mercenaries/outlaws, cards, or technologies. The concerned geographical domain could expand towards Northern Europe, Scandinavia, Ruthenia, etc. What would you like to see?

Poland/Lithuania/Ukraine:

• Serfs: Polish peasants
  • Scytheman/Kosynier: Scythe-armed peasant at war
  • Szlachcic: Polish nobleman
  • Hetman: Polish/Lithuanian commander
  • Pancerni: Polish cavarly
  • Ycrohytep: Lithuanian cavalry (word inverted to bypass censorship)
  • Wybraniec: Drafted Polish infantryman
  • OlÄ™der: Dutch/German settlers in Poland.
  • Haidamaka: Ukrainian rebels
  • Kobzar: Ukrainian bard

Danmark/Norway:

• Kanonjolle: Danish/Nowegian cheap and small war boat
  • Friskytter: Danish guerrilla light cavarly
  • Livgarde: Danish royal guard
  • Noaidi: Sami shaman
  • Other sami stuff
  • Pomor: Russian settler of the North who interacted with Norski.
8 Likes

I was thinking of making the Kosynier simply an upgrade to the Serf - using a HC card or UT from the Church or etc.

The Hetman would definitely be a Hero unit, so the Szlachcic could be an expensive and limited semi-elite military unit trainable only in Town Center and Folwark. Szlachcic could increase the efficiency of the Serfs in his aura.

In fact, it’s the same unit, just names in two different languages - that’s why I prefer the Lithuanian option.

Might as well Rekrut unit (Royal Guard for Polish civ) instead - shared with Russians civ.

I would prefer to refer to this with a HC card that would send standard Settlers + potentially also 1 Settler Wagon.

It is better to add it to the Ukrainian / or Cossack / or Ruthenian Revolution.

I think Sami units would be better suited to be added to the Finnish Revolution.

It doesn’t make much sense.

It is unbelievable how much you like to share units between Russia and Poles. You might like Pan-Slavism, that I don’t care or mind but majority wouldn’t want to see Russians units in the Polish unit roster. Especially when it is a DLC civ, not a fan made mod.

1 Like

Pomors could be linked to a Nowegian card “Russenorsk”, something like that.

What other units do you think could be present/represented in one way or another? I have no clear idea about what the core roster of the upcoming civs could look like, especially Dansk.

They appeared on Napolenic Era, and Hetman and scyteman also on the leaked rev data. I dont know if they could have also the shared cav archer from Russia and Ottomans.

For Denmark there were Royal Grenadiers and Spingol on the rev data

You’re funny. Do you realize that the art of war in the PLC had strong influences from the East since the Middle Ages? Saying that Polish and Russians civs cannot share units with each other and justifying it with Pan-Slavism is a bad joke. And something like regional units are a nice diversification and increase immersion.

The PLC army did not have much in common with the armies from Western Europe.

1 Like

Surprised this is never brought up during these discussions since it was the most unique weapon in the danish army. Maybe it’s because it has barely any info about it in english.

But Espingol guns for sure.

1 Like

Both Sythemen and Espingol were already leaked in the cut revolution. They’re practically guaranteed.

1 Like

In the Napoleonic Era mod they are like this…

• Civilization bonus: The Commonwealth starts with an outpost wagon, allowing them to establish early map control. All Polish units and buildings have extra Line of Sight. Buildings are cheaper, but weaker than those of other civilizations. Their Mill and Plantations are especially cheap, though they have a lower gatherer limit than typical. The Polish use Farms rather than Mills and Livestock Pens, and they gather faster from their Farms early on. Their Farms and Plantations also provide housing space. The Polish cannot hunt without using a card to enable Settlers to do so. They can construct Stables in the Discovery Age, allowing them to muster Cavalry earlier in Colonial than most civilizations. Can send Kozaks, including Kozak Cavalry Archers and Kozak Lancers.
  • Unique units: Szlachcic, Lisowczyk, Tabor, Pancerni, Partyzant
  • Royal Guard units: Hussar, Pancerni
  • Unique Buildings: Farm
  • Personality: Jan Sobieski

In WoL you have the Friskytte although there it is a simple second-age skirmisher…they also have the Espingol and the Ox Cart (alluding to the Norse of AoM)…

Unique Units

• Ox cart icon Ox Cart: Wagon that improves nearby Villager gathering rates and can turn into economic buildings.

• Landsoldat icon Landsoldat: Unique heavy ranged infantry that can be cheaply and quickly trained.

• Gunboat icon Gunboat: Light warship carrying a cannon. Replaces the Aviso, but can not gather from fish.

• Espingol icon Espingol: A fast-firing organ gun with short range. Better against infantry than buildings. Replaces the Steel Gun at the Factory.

• Ingenior icon Ingenior: Ultimate heavy infantry whose ranged attack deals siege damage and does bonus damage against artillery. Can repair artillery.

Unique Buildings

• Anchorage icon Anchorage: Unique Dock that freezes enemy ships that get too close, and boosts the gather rates of your nearby ships.

Of course, of course, it seems the hetman is going to be the Polish hero…

For me, Pancerni is easier to pronounce… the other one sounds very Russian xd…

True, I think they are going to vary a little with the UUs…

Yes, I mentioned it above…

Any pictures got leaked?

No, someone just found names in the code.

1 Like

@HoopThrower I happened to find this forum where a user by the name of Holger Danske provides some more information of the Espingol.

only the revolution flags

the archived article linked on the wikipedia page’s source has most of the relevant information too. (That one’s in english).

1 Like

The Danes produced and used Espingols very little, because they were an experimental weapon of dubious effectiveness. I understand that many like to see new original content added, but if the devs add Espingols as a replacement for the Falconets (similar to the case of the Portuguese Organ Guns), it would be making a big historical mistake because the Field Guns were used much more than the Espingols; the latter were used in small quantities for a few years, and never left their experimental phase. A more historically representative inclusion would be that some Espingols can be received with shipments from the home city and technologies.

I know probably not all the unique units i came up with will be added to the faction but i did have a lot of Danish units in my Danish design

Based on the revolution we saw many months ago i think its reasonable to expect Denmark to at least contain a unique grenadier and the Espingol, and i would be quiet shocked if the “Friskytte” wouldn’t make it in since it was in WOL and was suppose to be in NE as well, how they will work? who knows but i do know it wont be a cavalry unit, they where mostly peasants and townsfolk taking up arms against Swedish occupiers.

I mean i know what you are trying to say but in AOE3 context this just sounds like “guard unit”, rather than what i assume you are talking about which is the danish royal guard on foot, or simplified: Fodgarde.

i am not sure why the sami would be that prominent in a danish faction, when they basically aren’t mentioned in the swedish faction at all. They where mostly ignored and likely never numbered more than a few 1000, there are also other options like Inuits or Estonians one could bring in if a somewhat unique culture is desired.

I also don’t really like giving Denmark Shamans, Denmark notably was the first major country outside the HRE to become protestant, surely focusing on the protestant aspect is what one should do in terms of religion for Denmark.

3 Likes

Personally i would rather see them replace Horse cannons, Denmark did use Horse cannons but i think it would be interesting seeing a European faction without access to them esp. since most people buy them over falcons.

That would be fine with me as long as the Danes have some improvement for the Falconets, for example a card that reduces the pop of Falconets and Heavy Cannons by -1, and adds Case Shot to both of them like the Swedes.

The idea of including Sami for the Danes of all people is a bit weird, as mentioned. I get what you were going for, with Sami in Norway, but it’s just very odd. Unless the Danes really did had Sami in their armed forces or country in any numbers?

Otherwise I think they would 100% work best as a native site in Northern maps, and would have upgrades related to reindeer herding. I think they would probably be similar to the Tengri though so I don’t know if they would be super unique.

1 Like

The Sami have also suffered discrimination and mistreatment similar to that given to Native Americans by Europeans.

2 Likes