New gameplay mechanics in Age of Empires 4

It could be just performance indications.

A one star crossbow damage seems very small, but it would be acceptable damage if it’s a threat to a one star health villager. But it’s rated one star because there are canons out there, who probably have an insane base damage in comparison.

The villager’s bow has a zero stars rating, which could make sense in comparison to a one star crossbow. It means it’s not even a real threat to one star health, which would prevent villagers rush tactics.

Of course I’m just speculating , to me what’s more curious about the crossbowman isn’t the one star damage, it’s the 120 health! That is A LOT for an archer unit, especially since we know villagers have 50hp. In Ao2, villagers also have 50hp but 120hp is more on the side of heavy cavalry health pool!

So my guess about the stars is that they are general ratings in comparison to everything else in the game. A crazy canon would have 5 stars damage and an elephant 5 stars health, putting this crossbowman stats in a realistic range in comparison.

Maybe, I don’t know.

6 Likes

Because WE dont know what IT means. AS soon AS WE know If should be quite easy to understand :smiley:

2 Likes

(Elephants have 3 points here. Perhaps this really means the era of the unit. And Khan has 2 points).

2 Likes

I see 5 stars for the Elephant, clocking at 2k hp. It matches my theory of this being a basic rating of units power levels.

5 Likes

that seems very reasonable to assume.

3 Likes

I mean he isn’t allowed to tell us anything that hasn’t been said. I’m sure everyone on the council was confused when they first got their hands on the game

False, if this were true it would mean that War Elephants are only useful as tanks, see their Tusks are only 2 stars and their Heavy armor is only 1.

1 Like

Well two stars attack is not bad if it fights well against two stars health unit such as crossbowmen. It would mean and Elephant would kill them in a reasonable amount of time… Just like in AoE2. The armor I don’t know, first it probably depends on your upgrades, and second, an Elephant isn’t naturally armored you know. Like if a Cataphract or a Paladin full of heavy plate armor is the five stars unit of the game, then it makes sense that an Elephant wouldn’t have as much.
Just like you said, I suspect they are gonna be tanks capable of doing good damage to most units in the game, but without attacks as devastating as, let’s say, a canon ball or a bullet.

2 Likes

In Age 2 Elephants have the highest attack ingame for units unless u count siege/ships, this is reasonable due to having giant tusks that armor wouldn’t stand up against irl.

Then what is to stop Crossbows from going from a 2 star health to a 4 star health?

Of course not, that is why you put armor on it. We can clearly see in the screenshot that it has armor on, yet only has 1 star for armor.

If the elephant, which clearly has armor on it, is only a 1 star, what does that mean for other units. Are most of the units ingame 0-1 star armor?

2000 hp is a huge amount, more than any unit ever in an Age game. I have a feeling that they are going to emphasize the tankiness of elephants in the game. But I still think their attack will be higher, armor isn’t going to help much against swinging tusks.

3 Likes

Here is a screenshot of the barracks where you can see what can be produced and improved. The most interesting thing is what the icon (2x) means. I will assume that this is the acceleration of the production of soldiers.

4 Likes

“The Ovoo allows The Mongol to rapidly produce units or improve their research.” I bet the Mongols can pay stone to produce two soldiers at once if the barracks is near their Ovoo.

1 Like

Yeah you are right about the firing angle… Adam Isgreen said that and if i understand him correctly then an arrow cant fly through a wall instead the bowman must aim in an specific angle also to shoot the arrow above the wall to hit an enemy. :slight_smile:
When the bowman is doing this kind of shooting then he has less accuracy as if he stands on a wall to shoot an enemy directly.

For me it seems so they planning to add a kind of “True sight” mechanic as it is like in Company of Heroes 2

4 Likes

Its possible that light, medium and heavy armor actually means which armor type it has not actual armor value. Since one of those picture shows that barrack has light armor with 5 stars. I have a speculation that some armor types take less and extra damage from different types of attack. Lets say we have attack/damage types like crushing, slashing, piercing and siege. So its possible that crushing will do bonus damage vs heavy armor but has no bonus vs light armor.

4 Likes

What are the numbers over on the left? After the resources, 1, 4, 5, 10. Can you make groups of units like in age 3?

1 Like

Those are the number of villagers currently gathering each resource type.

2 Likes

Because you can now be attacked even through the forest and walling in with buildings no longer works … Walls will now become even more important.
In principle you have to protect yourself from all directions. Cliffs and water seem to be the only natural defenses now.
Iam very curious about the early gameplay will be especially against an very aggressive opponent like the mongols.
How do you think about this guys?

3 Likes

Ah. Yeah that makes sense, lol

1 Like

I think interviews have talked about it being possible to wall choke points the game so hopefully that is still included somehow. That was a big part of the map variety in Age 2. Not all forests are stealth forests. Some of the forests look like they don’t allow units to pass so in theory maps like black forest are still possible.

3 Likes

Congratulations to everyone on the release of the new trailer. Let’s look for new mechanics together and here is a screenshot (camel cavalry).

1 Like

check the civilizations page for aoe4 it has been updated
information on previous civs is improved and two new civs
are also explained

6 Likes

thx for the headsup :wink:

2 Likes