New Scenario: Romans - Civilization Mod Template

Romans

Introduction
This is not a data mod. This is a scenario template that you can modify in the Scenario Editor to generate Random Maps to play against the AI, or to play online with friends. The Roman civilization is a modified version of the Byzantines. Using triggers, I was able to disable some, but not all of the Byzantine bonuses; and add new ones. See details below.

Description:
This representation of the Romans is designed in the image of the late Roman Empire. Rome has fallen, but out of the ashes, an insurgence of Romans has begun taking back their lands from their conquerors. Despite having to rebuild the Roman Empire from the ground up, you will have access to the famed Legionary warriors at the very beginning. Although weak at first, you will restore strength and glory to Rome as you progress through the ages.

Overview:
Civilization Bonuses:

• Archers lose their +3 bonus damage against Spearmen-line units but gain +3/+5/+7 bonus damage against Cavalry class units in Feudal/Castle/Imperial
  • Skirmishers lose their +3 bonus damage against Spearmen-line units but gain +3/+4/+5 bonus damage against all Infantry class units in Feudal/Castle/Imperial
  • Get access to Imperial Skirmishers (These units represent the Roman pilum and javelin soldiers.)
  • Galley-line ships gain +1 Ship class armor in Castle Age and +1 Ship class armor in Imperial Age

Civilization bonuses that remain from Byzantines:

• Fire Ships fire 25% faster (However, Romans will not have access to Fire Ships, so this will only affect converted Fire Ships.)
  • Advancing to the Imperial Age is 33% cheaper. (Unfortunately, I cannot change the cost of technologies with triggers.)
  • Town Watch is free. (Unforunately, I cannot reverse this with triggers.)

Unique Units:

• Legionary: Represents the main force of the Roman military. They replace the Militia-line units at the Barracks. They are more expensive than Militia-line infantry, but are equiped with the best armor known to the Roman Empire. They receive automatic upgrades to hit points, attack, armor, and train time upon reaching each next age.
  • Heavy Swordsman: Represents the auxiliary infantry of the Roman military. They are cheap, armor-wearing infantry, but have a long train time and low hitpoints. They are trained at the Barracks. They receive automatic upgrades to hit points, attack, armor, and train time upon reaching each next age.
  • Centurion: Represents the elite force of the Roman military who led the Legionaries into battle. They are similar to Cataphracts, but have a higher base melee attack and no Elite upgrade. They are available at the Castle.
  • Imperial Skirmishers: Represents the pilum and javelin soldiers that supported the Legionaries.

*(See Unique Unit Stats section below for stats on Legionary, Heavy Swordsman, and Centurion.)

Unique Technologies:
Note: Due to the limitations of using the scenario editor to modify Unique Technologies, I had to use preset UTs from other civilizations. One of them is modified.

• Stronghold: I found this to best fit the Romans over other Castle Age UT options.
  • Tower Shields: I modified this UT to only provide +2 pierce armor to Legionaries. Skirmishers and Spearmen class units will not receive +1 pierce armor as the description indicates.

Technology Tree:

Barracks:

• Militia-line infantry has been replaced with the Legionary unit, which upgrades automatically per age.
  • Spearman (Cannot upgrade to Pikemen & Halberdier; Roman knew of polearms, but mainly used spears; also for balance purposes)
  • Heavy Swordsman (upgrades automatically per age)
  • Squires
  • Arson
  • Do not have access to Supplies

Archer Range:

• Archer (Cannot upgrade to Crossbowman & Arbalester; Romans used crossbows, or manuballistae, but not frequently enough to permit the upgrade; also for balance purposes)
  • Skirmisher, Elite Skirmisher & Imperial Skirmisher
  • Cavalry Archer (Cannot upgrade to Heavy Cavalry Archer)
  • Thumb Ring
  • Do not have access to Parthian Tactics

Stable:

• Scout Cavalry, Light Cavalry & Hussar
  • Knight (Do not have access to Cavalier & Paladin)
  • Camel Rider (Do not have access to Heavy Camel Rider)
  • Do not have access to Battle Elephants; Romans used elephants in battle, but not frequently enough to permit them)
  • Do not have access to Steppe Lancers
  • Bloodlines
  • Husbandry

Siege Workshop:

• Have access to all units and techs except Bombard Cannon

Castle:

• Centurion
  • Have access to all units and techs except Petards and Sappers

Dock:

• Have access to all units and techs except Fire Ship line, Demolition Ship line, and Cannon Galleon line

Defensive Structures:

• Have access to all defensive structures except Keep and Bombard Tower

Monastery:

• Monk
  • Have access to all techs except Heresy and Herbal Medicine

Blacksmith:

• Have access to all techs except Blast Furnace

University:

• Have access to all techs except Arrowslits, Keep, and Bombard Tower
    Town Center, Market, Mill, Lumber Camp, and Mining Camp

Wonder:

• Can build the Arch of Constantine instead of the Hagia Sophia

Unique Unit Stats:

Legionary:

• Dark Age:
    Hit Points: 45
    Attack: 4 melee
    Melee Armor: 1
    Pierce Armor: 1
    Cost: 60 Food, 30 Gold
    Train Time: 31 seconds

• Feudal Age:
    Attack: 6 melee

• Castle Age:
    Hit Points: 55
    Attack: 9 melee
    Melee Armor: 2
    Pierce Armor: 2
    Train Time: 26 seconds

• Imperial Age:
    Hit Points: 65
    Attack: 12 melee
    Train Time: 21 seconds

Heavy Swordsman:

• Dark Age:
    Hit Points: 25
    Attack: 4 melee
    Cost: 50 Food, 10 Gold
    Train Time: 35 seconds

• Feudal Age:
    Hit Points: 25
    Attack: 5 melee
    Train Time: 35 seconds

• Castle Age:
    Hit Points: 35
    Attack: 7 melee

• Imperial Age:
    Attack: 9 melee
    Train Time: 27 seconds

Centurion:

• Castle and Imperial Age:
    Hit Points: 150
    Attack: 12 melee
    Bonuses: 12 vs. Infantry
    Cavalry Class Armor: 16
    Cost: 70 Food, 75 Gold
    Train Time: 20 seconds

Installation:
You can subscribe to this mod within the AOE2DE Mods interface. This should appear in your list of scenarios automatically.

How to Play:
The map features a randomly generated Mediterranean map. You can freely use the Scenario Editor to randomize any map style of your choosing, change player and diplomacy settings, and save it as you like. The triggers will not be affected by changing the map and other settings. Just do NOT change the Player 1 civilization. Player 1 must be Byzantines! You can play it from the playtest feature within the Scenario Editor, or you can load it as a custome scenario in Single Player or Multiplayer. Have fun!

Please feel free to leave feedback. Critiques, requests, and bug reports are welcomed!

1 Like

Interesting idea maybe you can try to make more civis with this method.

1 Like

I am certainly open to suggestions!

Well 2 civis I can think of are Vandals and Burgundians.
Vandals can be goths with a cavalry uu and some changes.uu can be the jarl.
Burgundians can be either italian or french with changes.uus can be condittori longbows and heavy pikeman.burgundians are less knight focus and more gunpowder and mercenary.

1 Like

I am interested! Is there a way to disable the hero glow aura without using Advanced Genie Editor (A.G.E.)? I know how to use A.G.E. for the most part, but I haven’t created an entire civilization with it before. And I chose not to make a data mod because I thought a scenario template might appeal to more people.

Could you create a civ outline for both of your civ ideas? I would be happy to make them a reality.

Im sure you can come up with interesting ideas for the civi.Look around other mods and discussions on civi design for some inspiration.

Im not sure if the glow can be removed or not.Is it possible to add new civis to DE with data modding?

1 Like

Okay, I will do some research. Thank you again for the suggestions!

It’s possible to add new civs using A.G.E., yes, but the list of available civs in-game is hard coded, so unfortunately any new civ will have to take the place of an already existing civ. At least, that’s how it was in AOE2HD. I don’t know if they changed this restriction in AOE2DE.