New ship spotted in the scenario editor

that would be downgrades tho, they should probably upgrade into lineships instead.

Most ships in the age of steam have been sail/steam hybrids before the dreadnought. Those ships played big roles in the forming of modern Europe, like the Crimean War and the expansion of world trade and globalization. It is a shame they are not portrayed at all.

2 Likes

Both Xebeks and Galliots were upgrades to the Galley and the Fluyt.

Fluyt is from the 16th century, while the Galliot is from the 17th to the 19th.

The Galley is also an ancient ship, even by tjhe 16th century, and the Xebec was a more advanced fast ship than the Galley (which was historically a slow ship, unlike in the game)

" Xebecs were ships similar to galleys primarily used by Barbary pirates, which have both lateen sails and oars for propulsion. Early xebecs had two masts while later ships had three. Xebecs featured a distinctive hull with pronounced overhanging bow and stern,[1] and rarely displaced more than 200 tons, making them slightly smaller and with slightly fewer guns than frigates of the period."

sure but those ships are small compared to the fluyt which is a precursor to more modern ships of the line.

Smaller does not mean worse, they were better in every way, actually.

It would also keep the Dutch with an unique Galleon replacement to other civs, while still keeping it unique, specially because teh Galliot was invented by them.

" * North Sea (17th–19th centuries)

A galiot was a type of Dutch or German merchant ship of 20 to 400 tons (bm), similar to a ketch, with a rounded fore and aft like a fluyt. Galiots had nearly flat bottoms to sail in shallow waters. These ships were especially favored for coastal navigation in the North and Baltic seas. To avoid excessive leeway, or leeward drift due to their flat bottoms, smaller vessels were usually fitted with leeboards. After 1830, a modernised type of galiot was developed that featured a sharper bow similar to a schooner. These vessels rarely had leeboards.[2]"

1 Like

I love this ship, but its really massive. But it looks just like a pirate ship or Caribbean ship

The Endeavour, in Pirates of the Caribbean movies, was a Battleship.
This was standard fare European Capital Ship in the Age of Sail. Basically a floating fortress and a command ship that could issue flag-orders so high, the entire fleet would see them.

2 Likes

could view the .bar file for info but alas the program here: [v.0.4] Resource Manager - Viewing, comparing, creating and extracting files from Age of Empires III .BAR archive

doesn’t work anymore

so this got me to look up some more ships:

Danish ship of the line Sophia Amalia (108 guns)

now i will point out that i dont think what we are seeing at all looks like the SA but at least it fits a little more than the Vasa with 3 gun decks and those odd looking glassdomes in the back.

but again i think this ship is suppose to be a generic version of a new class of big ships of the line added to the game and it wont be something unique to an individual faction.

1 Like

the ship we see is a 3rd/4th rate ship,

but those weird domes on the back is throwing me off but it’ll end up being something obvious

the name could be “Ship of the Line”

the ship is a 60 guns

the weirdest thing is being a triple decker with only 60 guns…
maybe the devs aren’t being accurate and just making it up :man_shrugging:

Hope this is the easter egg that heralds the European DLC. Maybe it will be a unique ship for the Danes?

Hopefully the European DLC will come after the African DLC and will be a great representation of Europe. 4 civs and Europe will be complete and sufficiently represented.

1 Like

Very cool! Dunno what devs have in mind

As ships transitioned to iron cladding, they became smaller as iron was much heavier than wood. That doesn’t make them worse. As power plants became more efficient, iron clads actually became larger as iron allows wider beams and longer ships.

2 Likes

I miss large naval battles from AoE2 in AoE3 :frowning:

1 Like