November 2017 Submission Thread!

Welcome to November, Warriors!

This month, we want you to showcase your favorite unit in Age!

Remember:

Your entry MUST include an image (max of 3 images) and must relate to an Age of Empires game (or an illustration having to do with one). You may also include a written portion explaining your entry that may be no more than 600 characters in length (not including spaces); if your entry includes non-English words, you must provide an accurate English translation of those words in your written portion.

Good luck!

κατάφρακτοι! (Cataphracts!)

A cataphract was a form of armored heavy cavalry used in ancient warfare by a number of peoples in Western Eurasia and the Eurasian Steppe.Historically, the cataphract was a very heavily armored horseman, with both the rider and steed draped from head to toe in scale armor, while typically wielding a lance as their weapon.
Cataphracts served as either the elite cavalry or assault force for most empires and nations that fielded them, primarily used for impetuous charges to break through infantry formations. Chronicled by many historians from the earliest days of Antiquity up until the High Middle Ages, they are believed to have influenced the later European knights, via contact with the Byzantine Empire.

Roman Legion

The backbone of the Roman army. Trained with an iron discipline, efficient and organized among themselves, the legionnaires were certainly the strongest infantry of their time. In the open field, they did not have rivals and thanks to the gladius (short sword) they specialized in body-to-body combat.

Legionnaires had the pilum, a spear used in short-range combat. The armament differs according to the historical period, and during the army’s Marian Reforms the legionary also carried more than 10 kg of equipment.

The testud was an infantry formation. The soldiers had the great advantage of being able to advance to contact with the first enemy files by sheltering from the arrows.

This one was for last month. I didn’t notice I only started making it when the contest had already closed, but I figured it might be fun to put it on here somewhere anyway, so I waited for the new thread.

(Winning would have been out of the question anyway, because have you seen the other contestants? And also a little bit because of the legal status of this particular branch of the aoe family tree.)

I’ll see what I can do within the limit this month. Keep up the good work, there’s some good stuff in these things.

(Wololo ! ) My favorite unit is Villagers,
Villagers can be trained from Town Center. They are the backbone unit for every civilization in Age of Empires. And being the foundation of a civilization, they are the most important units in the game as the primary collectors of resources, construct and repair buildings, and to establish a great Empire! :slight_smile:

“The Mighty Karambit Warrior”

Angkat Senjata! My favourite unit ever since I started playing the Rise of the Rajas expansion is the Karambit Warrior, fast, cheap, light, yet very strong and can swarm into the base of our enemies to take them down in no time. My favourite way of using them is when playing with allies, and my allies will defend the enemy attack while I rush to Imperial Age with the Malay ageing up bonus and get the Elite Karambit Warriors with all technology needed researched and off I go to destroy the enemy town centers, 60 Elite Karambit Warriors on each bases and then sweep the rest of the base, before sending 60 more of them and the enemies will stand no chance in fighting back. Except if they can somehow do that, which is pretty rare.

I just realised that my character count exceeded the limit, so I have edited it and shortened it…

My favourite unit is the Karambit Warrior, fast, cheap, light, yet very strong and can swarm into the enemy bases to take them down in no time. My favourite way of using them is when playing with allies, and my allies will defend the enemy attack while I rush to Imperial Age with the Malay ageing up bonus and get the Elite Karambit Warriors with all techs needed researched and off I go to destroy the enemy town centres, 60 Elite Karambit Warriors on each bases and then sweep the rest of the base, before sending 60 more of them and the enemies will usually stand no chance in fighting back.

If there is anything wrong, please tell me ^^;

For me the only unit worth playing an unpopular civilization for is Jaguar Warriors of Aztecs. They have a high anti-infantry attack bonus, which makes them very good against other infantries and most importantly they look COOOOL!!!

Bam, chariots.

There’s so much I want to explain about the role of chariots and chariot archers in the game, how the Hittite campaign cleverly nudged the player towards using chariots, my choice for this format etc, but the image contains all 600 of my characters. These sentences are not part of the submission.

Name a better trio, I’ll wait:

Name a better trio, I'll wait

In Age of Empires 3 I love to play the Monitor combined with a hot air balloon on Amazonia or other maps with a lot of water. Once you get this beast going, no building is save anymore. Just make sure you establish your naval dominance first.

@“Mr blu3storm” said:
In Age of Empires 3 I love to play the Monitor combined with a hot air balloon on Amazonia or other maps with a lot of water. Once you get this beast going, no building is save anymore. Just make sure you establish your naval dominance first.

Oooh! I used to really love the Monitor. And I also play on Amazonia using it. But usually I depend on my allies to defend my monitors cause I only have some caravels to transport my land units, and I don’t usually focus on my navy.

Well my favorite unit is… yes the musketeer…He is one of the most basic units but still one of the best!!
On the Image below we see some musketeers guarding a labor camp that works on plantations

Here we can see our musketeers who just arrived with their mortar via a caravel into a small but yet rich island where they decided to set camp

On my last image we can spot a very common fight of the 18th century some pirates who escaped from their prison and are currently fighting their way out through the disciplined ranks of british musketeers

I hope you liked the post i made for my Favorite unit i tried to make it as much as possible in the theme of the units time period, thanks for your time!

@Angel117 said:
Well my favorite unit is… yes the musketeer…He is one of the most basic units but still one of the best!!
On the Image below we see some musketeers guarding a labor camp that works on plantations

Here we can see our musketeers who just arrived with their mortar via a caravel into a small but yet rich island where they decided to set camp

On my last image we can spot a very common fight of the 18th century some pirates who escaped from their prison and are currently fighting their way out through the disciplined ranks of british musketeers

I hope you liked the post i made for my Favorite unit i tried to make it as much as possible in the theme of the units time period, thanks for your time!

Who are you? We need a proper introduction for all of the new administrators, @jennywaboom and @snickerdoodle. :wink:

I always loved the highlander infantry, especially in combo with the Dutch. The Dutch people don’t really have any musketeers at their disposal, but they do however have a lot of coin so these flying Scotsmen, trained from the tavern like true Scots, are a steal. When in combo with Dutch Nassauer infantry they cut through all and every rank. I remember hearing my father scream ‘Where on earth did you get the scots, lad’ after the Gaelic first flowed from my speakers while we were playing together.

It is SO hard to pick a favorite unit. Being of Greek descent, of course I love all the Greek Myth Units but I surprisingly chose… the Vermilion Bird!!!

I love the way the birds move - light up the ground below them - have brilliant colors - and are extreme fighters. I believe their strength comes in numbers and with their attacks coming from the sky - they can move over water or mountains and annihilate almost everything… just make sure there are no arrows!

Hello Everybody
My favourite unit ever in Age of Empires II the Conquerors Ex is the Spanish Conqueror because he shoots pellets with his shotgun riding a horse. In my childhood “El conquistador español” was my favourite unit.

For Age of Empires II the Forgotten my favourite units are the Kamayuk Inca and Genovese Crossbowman

Mine favourite unit is Gaia from age of mythology.

She is the the Mother Earth, born from Chaos, the great void of space. She gave birth without male intervention to Oranos (the sky) and Pontus (the sea), and took Oranos as her mate. Together they produced the Titans, and other gods and creatures. After the emasculation of Oranos, she mated with Pontus and protected Zeus prior to his overthrow of the Titans. As the goddess Mother Earth she was worshipped as the force behind all things in the world, living and inanimate. (Source: Wikia)
In short, she is a tough lady and she kick-■■■ (don’t forget that scene where she punches the Oranos in guts)!

Kanyenke

Kanyenke was a brave Mohawk warrior of the Iroquois and one of the main characters in Age of Empires III. He was wise and strong and he was always there for his best friend John Black, his sister Nonahkee and also even later for their son Nathaniel. He is my favorite hero of the whole Age of Empires III campaing because of his good heart and excellent skill with bow and arrows.

I made these screenshots with scenario editor. Took quite a while - hope you will like it :smile:

Phalanxes.
Citizen-soldiers, who rise up to the occasion of war.
They are the Elite Infantry of Age of Empires, and the most feared force in the actual Bronze Age.

Since they come from the Academy, they’re also pretty smart. Just look at all they can do:
Why use Flex-Seal when your phalanxes can get in formation to protect those high-cost units?

Got a hole in your wall?
No problem! Call the nearest Phalanx to plug it up.

And when you need to wreck an enemy town, the Greek Phalanx will run 30% faster and shrug off arrows for you as he wreaks havok.

Only 60 food and 40 gold, he’s a bargain!
(Pathfinding not included, population limit applies)

William Wallace.

Of course it’s not just an ordinary unit, he’s my hero related to one of the best AOE versions.

After the first AOE version the whole story line in campaigns improved with the release of AOE II. Like the developers stated in the history of AOE. They went all the way with that version regarding entertainment and edutainment. The reason it’s still popular to start with and why new expansions still come out for. Modders and custom map editors love this version resulting in a still very active community.

And here just a sample of the William Wallace Campaign on YouTube.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=34oNgb3fusk