Older replays Error

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: ######
  • Platform: Steam / Microsoft Store
  • Operating System: Windows 10 / Windows 7 / Mac / Linux
  • Gamertag:

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

:question: Describe the problem in detail (below). Please limit to one issue per thread.
When trying to reproduce older replays (before this patch) I get this error:

"Out of sync replaying game. This is usually caused by incompatible game version or data being used. Replaying stopped.

worldtime: 16823"

If this is Microsoft’s response to a game update, it’s totally unacceptable. Starcraft 2 allows you to watch older replays. If this is the case, it’s just lazyness from the dev team not to include compatibility at all and display a message that it’s both confusing and not clear as of what the user should even do (if the user can do anything at all).

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the steps to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s how to reproduce the issue:

1. Watch older version replay.
  2. Get the error message.
  3. Be in awe.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE of the game where you encountered the issue.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a SCREENSHOT, VIDEO, DXDIAG .TXT FILE, or CRASH/GAME LOGS (if relevant).

6 Likes

Same here, can’t watch any old replays anymore

1 Like

Is normal, always with a new patch, you dont play the older rec that belonged to older patch

2 Likes

The replay option isnt save game compatible. I think this is really a missing feature of the game. It happens with all patches. Even in the past. In the past it wasnt really an issue, because patches were less frequently and you could still play at older patches and still watch the replay.

In DE you cant really play at older patches (at least i dont know how to roll back) and the patches happens frequently, so it become an issue.

I saw this thread already. This kind of threads pop up after every patch.

Agree, the replay system is full of bug

1 Like

The same, I tried to reproduce older replays and the same errors appears.

Here is how to downgrade to previous build for watching replays. Seems like a lot of work though.

1 Like

On Voobly on WK u could also watch recs after balance changes got implemented without switching to a previous version.

Just took coaching from a pro yesterday and would like to watch the recorded games from there for tournament preparation.

Since today the new version got released you get the following error message and the recordings end abruptly if your rec is from a previous version.

Any idea how to watch recs from a previous update?
ty in advance I really need to see those recs

I can’t play any game replays from before the second July 2020 patch. I tried replaying games from July 18 and all of them produce this error. A fiend has the same problem. Games from after the patch work fine.

• Build: 39284
  • Platform: Steam / Microsoft Store
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: bharath211

:question: Describe the problem in detail (below). Please limit to one issue per thread.

When replaying an old game I got the Out of Sync Error. It shows the below error. These are games from last week from patch 37906 it is not as if they are very old. Just before the latest patch update happened. The replays were working last week and one of them was a really great game that I wanted to cast, unfortunately I cannot replay it :frowning:.

1. Open Saves and Replays
  2. Open a replay from 2 weeks ago of any old match.
  3. Play replay game and after 15 seconds you will see the below error

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE of the game where you encountered the issue.

:question: Attach a SCREENSHOT, VIDEO, DXDIAG .TXT FILE, or CRASH/GAME LOGS (if relevant).

I can’t watch recorded games from before the most recent hotfix. Every patch continually breaks recorded games. This is having a huge impact on all players who stream, analyse their own recorded games and play/train for tournaments. If I can’t watch the replay of a game I played last week, what’s the point of even having a record of it?

Stop breaking recorded games every patch and introduce backwards compatibility for recorded games immediately. This is a level of dysfunctionality never before introduced to Age of Empires 2, and it shows how little the people releasing new content understand about the way the game is played and enjoyed.

1 Like

Here’s the lack of functionality catching a player by surprise as he tries to stream games he missed due to being in a different timezone: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/693185388?t=0h24m29s

1 Like

Replays always break when a new patch is issued.

If you want to see the replay you need to have that patch

I’m not saying that it is ideal, but it’s not unusual even with other games

2 Likes

Having no backwards compatibility is bad and needs to be added to the game. There is a good reason why we would see all this kind of threads after a patch/hotfix: Players wants this feature.

2 Likes

I don’t really care what people are willing to accept in other games. Recorded games have been a key component of the game’s culture and history for 20 years, and designing a way for players to watch replays without replays actually working for more than a few weeks is a genuinely poor effort.

2 Likes

This isn’t a feature I want added to the game, it’s a feature I expected the game to have when I purchased it, based on years of playing former releases.

3 Likes

That’s a weird expectation, because former versions of the game had the same issue

2 Likes

That’s a bad-faith generalisation considering DE has probably had more patches than AOC had in 15 years

• Current ######
  • Platform: Microsoft Store
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Jeddsworth

:question: My microsoft store auto updated the current hotfix when i booted up my computer this morning. Was going to look at a replay from yesterday night, but get an error. Same with other replays.