On what makes sense for a possible European DLC

CIVS

Oldenburgs (Denmark-Norway), Belgians, Italians

MAPS

Black Forest, Carpathian Basin, Danube Valley, Kattegat, Russian Steppe, Scottish Highland, Siberia, Ural Mountains.

MINOR SETTLEMENTS

Romani caravan, reitziger (dutch traveller) caravan, and yenish caravan, pavee (irish traveller) caravan, skøyere caravan, tinker (scottish traveller) caravan, nenets village, samoyed village.

That’s what I want to see.

should really call it Danes since there is an actual German province/city called Oldenburg

btw today i learnt Denmark owned Oldenburg, honestly didn’t know that.

3 Likes

That would apply also for the Germans

Well then they could put Italy and Poland in a European expansion and then a free dlc with denmark, as they did with the United States

And the Scots are represented with the higlanders,like hannover with the jaegers.

yup, the only other scottish unit i might see them add is Jacobite swordsmen, tho i cant imagine them to be anything but a native unit, doesn’t seem like it would make sense as a mercenary to me at least.

Ethiopia either and there it is…

I do not see the Belgians as civ,they became independent only in 1830,although they could be a new revolution for the Dutch.Also now the dlcs are 2 civs so I don’t think we see the Danes,considering that playably we already have the Swedes representing the Nordic region.

1 Like

Persia and Korea will surely arrive in an upcoming Asian dlc,considering they were already in the previous age of empires…

5 Likes

The Germans represent the HRE, it hardly compares.

not really interested in adding Koreans as a civ. I can think of a bunch of others I want to play more than them.

2 Likes

Or they could give a special melee attack to the highlanders…

The HRE is the same as Italian city states…

1 Like

Well,they could put them by marketing issue,connection with the rest of the saga and by nostalgia and wink of the battle of Noryang Point of aoe 2…besides they could show us what happened with korea after noryang point:the rise of the Silhak philosophers (1600-1800),the manchu invasions (1636-1639) and the families governement (Sedo Period) (1800-1863).Finally,the reign of king Gojong (1863-1907) and the aperture to the Western nations between 1866 and 1910 (France,United States,China,Rusia and Japan).

1)Exploration Age (1392-1491):the rise of Joseon Dynasty

2)Commerce Age (1491-1598):the Japanese invasions of Korea

3)Fortress Age (1598-1798):Korean Peace and Prosperity

4)Industrial Age (1798-1863):the Sedo Period

5)Imperial Age (1863-1910):the Gojong reign (first sino-japanese war and russo-japanese war)

2 Likes

i dont see why korea should be spread out with 150 extra years (in which almost zero happened) just to justify them.

2 Likes

Seeing AOE2 Poland, I do think it can be added to AOE3 as well. They have interesting and iconic units, mostly cavalry, and can be made very unique.

I know there are people who want the game to stick to the “colonial” theme. But in that time period, Eastern Europe and Balkans were continuously involved in fierce conquests and uprisings, and is one of the few regions around the world that the Ottomans actively participated in. You may consider these as “colonial wars”.
If people think Middle East and North Africa can make legitimate DLCs, I cannot see why a Balkan-East European theme would not fit. It could come with one or two additonal playable civs (maybe Hungary?) and also introduce several interesting minor civs.

1 Like

They weren’t even an independent nation within the AoE3 timeframe. Austro-Hungary civ is definitely a better option. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth civ and Austro-Hungary civ could appear in the same DLC.

1 Like

i dont see why a european DLC needs to be split up, and i certainly dont see hungary being promoted to a full civ.

hungary as an independent kingdom ended in 1541, arguably even before then, and was mostly just a battle ground between the austrians and ottomans, until the Ottomans where pushed out around 1700.

sure there were a few uprisings but only really 2 of them are significant, you can read about them here:

spoiler, they lost both. personally i think it is generous for Hungary to be a revolution, it’s simply what makes sense for them.

as for other DLCs like a possible “middle-eastern” DLC, then yeah i dont see why not, what really stops Persia for being a single faction DLC a kind to the USA? frankly i only really think Persia is worth adding from the region.

3 Likes

With a Europe dlc I would also want to see some minor civs to ally with, here are my ideas

Saxony could be a minor civ on a Germany map along with potentially another hre state like Bohemia.

The Irish could be on a British isles map along with maybe the Scottish.

The Swiss could be on an alps map

And for an Eastern Europe map I could see Crimeans being a minor civ

I could also see an ibera map being added with jesuits as an minor civ

5 Likes

i would suggest Jacobites, it was a political movement (legitimist) in ireland and scotland in the period and had several wars with GB, also gives an obvious unit for adding to the game: Jacobite swordsman.

3 Likes