Only on Windows 10?

If Age of Empires : Definitive Edition is a Windows 10 exclusive, will it say you can’t play it on an older Windows version?

The hint in “Windows 10 exclusive” is the “exclusive” part; but I’m not sure, where have you heard about this? I’d consider it unlikely for AoE DE to be only for Windows 10…

I found this in the Age of Empire Insider program FAQ :
Q: Does the requirement for an Xbox Live account mean that the game is coming to Xbox One?
A: We love our fans who own an Xbox One, and we understand wanting to play this legendary RTS on the platform of your choice. However, for the 20th Anniversary of the Age of Empires franchise, we decided to honor the Age legacy and stay true to the platform where it all began: the personal computer. Therefore, Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is a Windows 10 exclusive; there are no plans to bring it to Xbox One.

English is not my native language, maybe i don’t understand it well.

@ThreeGibbon4358 said:
I found this in the Age of Empire Insider program FAQ :
Q: Does the requirement for an Xbox Live account mean that the game is coming to Xbox One?
A: We love our fans who own an Xbox One, and we understand wanting to play this legendary RTS on the platform of your choice. However, for the 20th Anniversary of the Age of Empires franchise, we decided to honor the Age legacy and stay true to the platform where it all began: the personal computer. Therefore, Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is a Windows 10 exclusive; there are no plans to bring it to Xbox One.

English is not my native language, maybe i don’t understand it well.

Hmm I see that point, it is written that it is Windows 10 exclusive.
But I think they simply wanted to clarify that consoles won’t get supported, and it is somehow
sure that at least Windows 8/8.1 will get supported.
And I guess also Windows 7 since still many people are using it, but I wouldn’t be too sure about that one.

I’m a Windows 7 user, i’m not a fan of the windows 10 version. So I hope we could play AoE : DE on Windows 7 :worried: .

It is possible that Microsoft may release AoE:DE on Steam in the future. However, there are currently no plans announced to release the game on Steam.

If so that’s very disappointing. I used to have windows 10 working on my laptop but would get BSODs constantly due to a lack of adequate driver support from Lenovo (Despite it being a laptop from 2014 with SLI).

I’m annoyed that they seem so eager to phase out an OS released not even 5 years ago. It’s lucky the system requirements are very generous so I can play it on my ultra-book and sister’s Surface Pro.

It’s a Windows 10 exclusive, that means Windows 10 exclusive. It will be released in the windows store, with no option for older OS to get it.

That would be weird. Because alot of people in the gaming community use windows 7, it would be a pretty bad choice.

I hope the game will come to Windows 7 too. I mean as much players as possible should be able to buy/enjoy this game !

All of Forgotten Empire’s previous games are on Steam and Windows 7 too, so I hope this one is not just for Windows Store/Windows 10

@Jineapple said:
It’s a Windows 10 exclusive, that means Windows 10 exclusive. It will be released in the windows store, with no option for older OS to get it.

But wouldn’t that be weird when they want as many people to buy or play this ?

As many people just don’t buy a game if it’s Windows Store/Windows 10 exclusive…

I can only hope that it will be released on win7/8 as well as 10.

I understand the premise behind restricting it to windows 10, ease of programming etc aside it is a shrewd business move, by forcing series fans onto 10 they are increasing their captive audience for the “final OS”.

However, in terms of the games (and series) future success I implore the powers that be to think of AoE’s potential player base. In a market as small as the RTS’s every sale is critical in increasing its longevity.

I’m sure all of us on the forum (and fans in general) would prefer Age of Empires to continue for a long time to come, and not to follow command & conquer into obscurity.

1 Like

Agreed.

The game is ONLY for Windows 10?

@Kellhus said:

Yes, it is. At least at release… hope they will release it on Steam too, but I will become really angry if buy this game, and a few months later it becomes available on Steam too, with workshop and better online community :expressionless:

@climba69669 said:
you want to promote Win10 but you dont need to ruin a classic R.I.P

Not only Win10. Windows Store exclusivity too. A [Profanity Filter] shame.

Maybe this is your quickest solution (I mean the link). If you have the patience and hope that Microsoft will recognize the mistake of placing these delimitations in the digital distribution of the game, wait.

https://amazon.com/Age-Empires-Collectors-Limited/dp/B000J18SR2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_t_0/141-6996363-8693426?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=88QYF8KEJKAWRCZBJRRM

@Kellhus said:

Yes, it is, look at system requirements OS: Windows 10 version 14393.0 or higher required

By the way, there is already another topic discussing about that, no need to create a new topic to say that WIN 10 is terrible or gonna kill the game.

Have a good day.

Guess that’s it
Microsoft has become that greedy organisation
Games available only on windows 10,in its store
Not available to other OS or even steam
I have lost all hope on humanity now