Performance Issues with AOE III: DE

I downloaded the first patch and found another possible source of performance issues: memory leaks.

I had the game open for quite some time admittedly (4-5 hrs). On my last game it was basically unplayable. Screen would freeze for seconds at a time and then go very quickly to catch up. By this time, all of my units are dead and I’m at a huge disadvantage.

Task manager showed the game using nearly 9 GB of RAM. My friends playing in the same game reported around 2.5 GB of RAM usage. This seems like a pretty big discrepancy.

Thanks for your attention!

3 Likes

after i play 1 or 2 games that exceed hours my games also keeps freezing for 1 2 seconds and its unplayable the only solution is to reset the game

3 Likes

I tried everything with my friends we had more than enough system requirements for this game and we even turned down graphics and in the end it turns out this game isn’t ready for 8 player or 4vs4 or vs 7 comps…
(I hope Devs can try it for themselves play solo vs 7 comps in maps like Indochina) but in 1vs1 it was good.

8 ppl on large map with Intel Core i7 10700K and 2080 gpu can have a decent fps on high graphics but not with the given recommended settings by the game which are

• Processor: Intel i5-3300 @ 3.0GHz or AMD FX-8350 or equivalent with an average CPU Passmark score of 4100 or better

• Memory: 16 GB RAM

• Graphics: GeForce GTX 980 or Radeon R9 Fury or equivalent with an average Passmark G3D Mark of 9500 or better

im 100% sure the recommended setting were not tested in a 8 player game but in a 1v1

I have to say it, this game is slow… I have a fairly average 2017 desktop, decent graphics card but only 8GB RAM (non-upgradeable) which obviously isn’t helping here. But while AOE2DE runs great and AOE1DE runs “all right”, my system really struggles with AOE3DE. I have to set all graphics settings to “Low” and significantly lower the resolution for the game to run smooth. Now it does run, but it doesn’t look pretty to say the least, especially compared with AOE2DE. I do hope we will see some performance improvements in the next few months (as we saw with AOE2DE), otherwise I’ll just have to wait for a new PC with beefier specs.

1 Like

Same experience here.

I find performance in this game very inconsistent. Certain games run fine-ish, others the fps is shockingly low, despite being well over recommended settings.

It’s important to note that adjusting graphic settings contributes to 0 change in fps drops.

3 Likes

Hey! I had the same problem! But for me, it was Windows 10 causing the problem! I found a guide for AoE2ED I used, and believe me, it solved my problem!

Here is the guide I followed!

1 Like

and which one should i try from all of those listed ?

I used these:
#11 (just in case)
(#13 - for those who use Discord)
#15, I use Avast, added the game to the exceptions list

One of those, or all of them, solved my problem. Now I can max the graphic again without any issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

u tagged the wrong person

Sorry! Removed it now! Hope it works for you!

wtf something definitely boosted my fps when i did from #7 to 11 but i cant open the site anymore what was #14 ? im going to try a game now

1 Like

Glad to hear, that is what I am trying to help people see, that it is Win 10 that is the biggest issue. I see the page is gone, now! Could it be the Chrome-part? Are you using Google Chrome for webbrowsing on your computer?

yea im using chrome.

I think it was the issue where Chrome is running while not in use! Open Chrome, click on the three dots up on the right corner, choose “Properties/Settings” (I’m nowegian so I have to guess the translation), click on “Advanced” on the left side, click on the icon with the person with the arms out (haha), and look where it says something like “Keep running in background when Google Chrome is closed”, make sure this is turned off!

Edit: @Krasitto5951 I hope it works much better now! I have tried to spread the word on Steam community, but people use every muscle to criticise the developers instead of trying to see what else could cause the lagging.

1 Like

well i couldnt try a game since i play only ffa (dont like to team up with randoms) waited 40 minutes to get to full lobby and 2 minutes in the game got out of sync what a luck :smiley:

anyway before doing those fixes in 1v1 game with everything in low and disabled had like 110 fps at start of the game now i got like 180 ?

1 Like

The guide is now unavailable. Weird.

actually i reverted everything i have done and still got the same fps ? hm i definitely need to play an 8 player game to see if there is a difference (the only thing i cant revert back is the deleted files from the %temp% folder)

1 Like

The whole GhostArrow site is down. Fishy indeed. Possibly just a technical difficulty.

Here is a Google cached version of a similar page from their site. It doesn’t look like Google cached the exact guide posted above, unfortunately.

2 Likes