Perspective vs Orthographic Camera

Hi guys. I’m really exited about this new version of AOE. I just have a big concern related to the camera since at the moment it looks like an orthographic view to me, which in my opinion gives the game that old-fashion look. I know it is supposed to resemble original AOE but, I’m pretty sure the game experience would be more natural and realistic if the view was changed to a perspective one with a little narrower angle, more like real human eye like most of the modern RTE games.
(AOE III is a perfect example). Please tell me what you guys think about this.

Examples:

Orthographic: /uploads/editor/67/qp81ayhui5q9.jpg

Perpective: /uploads/editor/ls/35az3c80k6ze.jpg

What is wrong with you guys coming up with this nonsense again and again and again. It’s already stated how DE will be a slightly polished version of the original game. So: No 3D-graphics, no modern camera, no this, no that bla bla bla

Lol isn’t 3D engine.

I find it amazing how so many people write exited instead of excited, and it makes the sentence so funny.

@MedusaAchse5043 said:
What is wrong with you guys coming up with this nonsense again and again and again. It’s already stated how DE will be a slightly polished version of the original game. So: No 3D-graphics, no modern camera, no this, no that bla bla bla

This.

Perspective camera would look wrong with 2d graphics. Think old 3d shooter that used 2d sprites instead of models. On the fly resizing of those 2d images just looks old :stuck_out_tongue:

We already will have enhanced graphics when you zoom in. Ortho camera is fine, the graphics will be good. Imo perspective cams only work well when the game is designed for it and can also rotate views.

As for people asking the same questions or ones that have already been answered - they are most likely kids, see the trailer, register for the beta, then post on forum because they haven’t looked into the game any further. A lot of people just don’t do extra research, or in the case of playing games, don’t go through the settings and keybinds before asking a question about those things!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Take it easy fanboys…

@GODFATHEREZIO47 said:
I find it amazing how so many people write exited instead of excited, and it makes the sentence so funny.

Defiantly

@Penelinfi said:
As for people asking the same questions or ones that have already been answered - they are most likely kids, see the trailer, register for the beta, then post on forum because they haven’t looked into the game any further. A lot of people just don’t do extra research, or in the case of playing games, don’t go through the settings and keybinds before asking a question about those things!

And it won’t be stopping any time soon - It’s easy to be lazy and not give a toss.

@EdgiestHat59453 said:

Let’s be honest here; Were you expecting anything else? :stuck_out_tongue:

What kind of RTS do you play? All games of this genre have this type of camera, it would be impossible for you to play and do micro and macro management without having a camera that encompasses all the units and constructions of the game.
I think that what you are looking for is in other games with the historical theme but of different gender.

@EdgiestHat59453 said:

Yeah, because everyone is a fanboy, who knows the most basic stuff about the game this entire forum is about. You’re all such a win for the developement of this game, hats off! You “insiders” … lfmao
Btw: What’s more cringe-making? MS’s unfocussed marketing campaign or these forums here? Hard to tell …

How do I play the beta?
How do I buy for Xbox?
Xbox ideas - how to play RTS on console?
/s
Agree with @MedusaAchse5043 and @“Mystic Taboo” here - people need to understand that there are feasible things to change, and not feasible ones. It’s been said time and time and time again that the game will be running off of the classic engine. Before you start throwing out ideas or things you want in the game, do some research on what the game actually is.

Everybody stay calm, while is true that people actually register for closed beta without reading anything about the game in these fórums, there is no need to be so agressive with newbies. It ain’t gonna stop because there is a lot of lazy people that doesn’t read / research about the game so just chill guys. :slight_smile:

By the way, nice answer @Penelinfi :slight_smile:

Look at all of these goobers throwing their feces at the OP for having a difference of opinion. Here’s my opinion: people hung up on nostalgia and their jaded version of the past are what ruin remakes of games. I’ve seen it happen before. If all you want is a higher resolution of the original AOE game, then you are an idiot.

Nothing has ever gotten better in history by people just regurgitating the same product that someone created years before, just because they are afraid people might complain about change. If you are not interested in progress via QOL changes, balance changes, graphics changes, and others - then please, just stop posting. It will be better for all of us in the end.

@Ensley03 said:
Look at all of these goobers throwing their feces at the OP for having a difference of opinion. Here’s my opinion: people hung up on nostalgia and their jaded version of the past are what ruin remakes of games. I’ve seen it happen before. If all you want is a higher resolution of the original AOE game, then you are an idiot.

Nothing has ever gotten better in history by people just regurgitating the same product that someone created years before, just because they are afraid people might complain about change. If you are not interested in progress via QOL changes, balance changes, graphics changes, and others - then please, just stop posting. It will be better for all of us in the end.

This is nothing but complete bullshit.
First of all, threads like this, which cause a lot of anger, are not about opinions, but about people coming up with “ideas” that are not makeable, like demanding a 3D camera system for a 2D game. It’s a waste of time to even talk about this nonsense. It makes me really angry seeing people not doing any research and then writing tons of bullshit, spamming the forums here. Honestly: Are you too stupid to understand this basic stuff?
And Ensley, AoE DE is not a remake, but the same game as before with few changes and new graphics. This was confirmed a thousand times by the developers. So: Can you explain why one should tolerate the ongoing spamming of “ideas”, which are neither realizable due to the old engine, nor are desired, since AoE DE will orient itself on the original game?
But you do not care. Better write some shit in the forum and do not think about whether that makes sense in any form or not.

thr game is almost done and you guys want a rework all again, because this.
How many this will cost? If have extra cost, you aren’t deal with right publisher( M$)

Okay, enough discussion in this topic for something that has been pointed out.

@“Andy P” please lock this thread.

Nah. You guys are doing fine. Everybody is at each others’ throats, but I don’t see this thread as totally off the rails, so I figure to give it a chance. I don’t like to lock too quickly.

As for a substantive response, those grouchy about the idea of different camera angles are almost certainly correct, at least in their answer, if not in their tone. Everything we know about AoEDE tells us that the Devs are basically throwing a fresh coat of paint on the 1998 version of the game (albeit a very pretty and HD coat of paint), rebalancing a bit, and shipping. They aren’t going to mess with camera angles.

Zooming out even more will be added, however. I know that’s not what we are talking about here, but it crossed my mind so I am throwing it out there.

It would be great if everyone read up on things, but they don’t. Part of the joy of hanging around here is welcoming new faces and sharing our detailed nerdery with them. Group hug?

This game isn’t 3d, a perspective camera wouldn’t work.

EDIT: Okay I simply responded without reading any of the posts lol

No need to poop on these ideas. AoE4 will undoubtedly have a perspective camera as it will be 3D. AoEO had a good zoom and rotate feature as well.

DE is not aoe4, our best ideas will have to wait for the next true entry in the series. Meanwhile let’s get ready to enjoy the retro polished experience of AoEDE.

@Ensley03 said:
That would be as bad as paying for Starcraft Remastered

@sonictimm said:

@Ensley03 said:
That would be as bad as paying for Starcraft Remastered

The fanboys.