Player units can be loaded onto friendly transport ships when no co-op games are happening

Game Version:

• Build: 38862
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10

Issue:

It is possible to board units onto allied transport ships (both light and heavy transport), even when cooperative games are not taking place. Once units have boarded the ships, they can no longer be retrieved. Ships will also try to get as close as possible to the units that were sent to board them.

Reproduction Steps:

Send any land unit towards an allied transport ship, pointing at it and using secondary click.

ATTACHMENTS:

Here is myself (blue player) playing an allied match with the AI (red player). Notice how I send my villagers to board both of its ships:

Expected Behavior:

Not being able to use the board/garrison/load command unless a cooperative game is taking place (where players on the same side can control units and decide what happens to them).

2 Likes

I honestly don’t understand where there is a bug here. The player who owns the ship must also deploy the units. It has always been like this. Correct me if I have misunderstood something.

Many greetings.

Without having control over allied ships, the board mechanic is useless, since it means to lose all units involved (you cannot control the AI).

2 Likes

This function was always intended for co-op games. If you want to have full control over the ship, you have to build your own.

But that is not a bug :slightly_smiling_face:

I know, and as such it should be exclusive to co-op only modes. It’s a feature, but it wasn’t implemented correctly.

2 Likes

This is how it works in the original game as well, so it’s not really a bug. Boarding allied transports is intended, as in AOE2.

3 Likes

The problem with boarding allied computer players transport ships is that the AI won’t unload them after, so the units are basically lost, and still keep counting as alive on the population limit. So, it becomes an issue.

2 Likes

Exactly. Being unable to unload units on board of allied transports makes it an issue.
It should be available for co-op (non-AI) games only.

2 Likes

Woah, that’s an old one from the OG Age of Empires. Surely they could tweak it, but considering that they are not touching AoE DE when there are really important things to fix (units hitboxes fusing, for example), I’m pretty sure they will not pay attention to that.

After all, it’s not that hard to not put your units into an AI transport ship, bro, I’ve been playing this game for more than 20 years and can’t recall a single time in which I’ve uploaded my units in an AI transport ship by accident.

Oh, of course not. I just didn’t want it to be left unreported. I agree it’s a minor, very minor thing. I think even the little changes would make the game greater, that’s all.

If I see one issue, no matter how small or insignificant it is, I normally tend to report it. Even though it is unmotivating and sad to report bugs and not get official answers back, I still want to do it.

I reported some things that got fixed (even though they were never mentioned in the patch notes), so bug reporting is like one way to show my appreciation to devs and what they’ve done to improve the game.

1 Like

Oh, of course, didn’t meant to be mean. It’s only that it surprised me to see reported an OG practically hidden non-functional “feature”. But yours is a good behavior, mate, a bug report does never make any harm!

2 Likes