Please make building attacks re-targetable

In the betas we couldn’t rightclick an enemy unit with an outpost or towncenter to target units manually.

This creates edge cases where random targeting decides engagements and makes static defense unreliable. Your arrows could be hitting a unit with a lot of armor making the attacks worthless.

Please add an option to rightclick an enemy unit to target them with buildings or garrisoned weapons.

28 Likes

I (and many others I’m sure) second it!

2 Likes

It would be nice to be able to retarded buildings but I kinda wonder if it’s more interesting the way it is now. If I can pick the target my TC is attacking I can assume that their archers won’t be able to enter the TCs range without dying or taking a lot of damage. With non-retargetable defensive buildings I need to be aware that if he has a ram for example they can waltz their archers around under my TC without a problem. It let’s defensive structure be more powerful without making them feel unfair or uninteractive for the attacker.

1 Like

Can’t believe these weird decisions really. They take away everything strategic and they claim they are making an RTS game. Congrats Relic take away all the micro capabilities and let the computer decide for us. I would really like to meet the person in charge who has the final call for these decisions…

8 Likes

“That’s not how you play”
-Isgreen 2021

You also can’t target individual units in an army. I found myself with a bunch of cavalry circling the enemy waiting to attack an archer right in the middle of the formation.

5 Likes

Hope it will be fixed fast, it’s extremely frustrating

1 Like

Yeah TC pumping all them arrows to Ram instead of units around it is the best.

3 Likes

If that doesn’t change, then at least change the focus of defensive builds to organic units before sieges.

4 Likes

this must be a joke. If I get this right and if that is true, I will be cancelling my pre-order.

1 Like

Any source on this being a design decision or are we just raging for fun? It’s likely just a bug and not intended at all. In any case, this needs to be fixed for launch.

Taking this quote out of context was silly when it was about zoom. Now, after the “This interview proves they won’t change anything.” fits have already been disproven on that topic, deliberately taking this out of context for completely unrelated topics is honestly just pathetic.

4 Likes

This is most likely just a bug , dunno what’s all this raging and bashing the devs for lol

2 Likes

There’s not a lot to talk about while we wait for the game so we end up here.

1 Like

Indeed. I think when people get bored waiting for the game they should go outside for a bit. Get in some exercise to help counteract the hours they’ll spend at the computer once the game comes out.

3 Likes

Didnt the devs state that this was a bug during the stress test?

I haven’t seen a dev response other than a bug fix note in the stress test for outposts and tcs prioritizing rams.

1 Like

I played both the closed beta and the stress test and there was no way to target single units, unless they were isolated. If bunched up together, you can only target a general area to attack and the “AI” will decide what to attack for you. That’s how I ended up with my cavalry deciding to attack archers protected by pikemen, circling the formation and getting decimated in the process and not attacking anything.

There is once instance in the gameplay videos posted by Spirit of the Law when you can see this behavior.

The other issue that surely doesn’t help is that there is no precise visual feedback for the “right click to attack” action, which I assume goes hand-in-hand with the lack of visual feedback for shift-click waypoints.

I have nothing against the devs and was just trying to poke some fun at the quote itself, but it’s also nice that you took it personal.

2 Likes

One of the oddest gameplay-wise decisions we have seen in the beta, yes. Micromanagement is important in a RTS game, you know… specially if that’s been a feature in the whole franchise since the very first game.

3 Likes

Not really. Why would I? It wasn’t directed at me personally neither does it directly affect me personally.

It’s just a blatant attempt to divert actual discussion into a make believe world where we just make up facts. Doesn’t really benefit anyone on this forum and we already have a thread full of people raging about a design decision, which doesn’t exist (we have patch notes calling this a bug). So why not call it out for what it is?

1 Like

That’s not how your comment comes across at all.

Yeah, not eager to die on this hill so take it as you will.

1 Like