Please, stop locking stuff other than profile images behind timed events

from the bottom line:
" On top of that, if you sign in to Xbox Live during the Event, you’ll get to keep all of the cheat codes, mods and profile icons you’ve unlocked!"

1 Like

The other thing I don’t like is that you have a maximum amount you can unlock per day.

I understand they obviously want you to play the game on multiple days during the event, which is probably at worst just a shallow boost to the number of players during the event and at best maybe a big boost to the multiplayer (even though you can usually unlock these things in single player).

Basically though it’s punishing players that can’t commit to turning on the game regularly during the event, even if they would play the same amount of time in one sitting than they would if it was spread out.

If you need five days to unlock the rest of the stuff and there’s only four or less days in the event, you’re going to miss stuff and you can’t do anything about it, and you can’t even decide which stuff you miss out on. I think this event the ‘tech tech free’ cheat was the last unlock so that’s the one most people will miss out on.

If anything near the end of the event, if you originally needed x days to unlock the content, then x (or x-1) days from the end of the event they should just waive the timers, and make everything unlockable in one day. Otherwise you’re basically acknowledging that you’re fine with annoying the playerbase that are going to miss out.

5 Likes

I once kept some profile icons by not logging in to XBox Live at all, I think the first event

I am questing do those event mods can be kept or not, my Spring event player color mod disappeared for unknown reasons. I will see do that event mods disappear or not this time.

Also, do we have any way to get those unlocked mods back? I love the AOE1 Scout mod, but I unsubscripted it accidentally, I can’t get it back now, except download some fan-made mod. It works fine, but why can’t we just have the official one?

I really think AOE2DE is not well-programmed for such online gaming event/achievement system like this. (except the profile images I guess)

You take my post out of context, i was obviously refering to the event mods which people just reupload to mod center. those mods are identical during and after the event.

the mod u linked is some custom User interface mod, and those always tend to break with most patches since the UI gets updated frequently.

2 Likes

Yeah. I just bought the game and it’s very frustrating to know there is content i can’t access…

5 Likes

Yep, being forced to play is not a great feeling and it turnes me down from the game. I stopped playing after they launched second event and just came back because my friends started playing. And the new Mongol event? Not only I am forced to play, I am forced to play MONGOLS. Honestly? I’d much rather buy 15 dollars season pass and get all the items instantly, than grind every day… And if I can’t play, because some people may not have time to play for a week every day, well then! There is no other way to get the rewards… I only did those two first events, and going to my profile and seeing the profile icons that I am no longer able to get is discouraging.
Devs, talk to us. Give the collectors the solution to the problem. There is a way to make the events enjoyable to all. But right now, u are forcing some players to play even if they don’t want to, or turning some players down from the game entirely. The new event is even forcing me to play the specific civ. Why? Why not make 2 missions instead of one? Like Kill a Siege Onager using Mangudai. OR Play 3 games. That would be A STEP in a good direction, but still not a solution to the problem…

1 Like

I really hope the devs will give this stuff to the users that miss the events for whatever reason.

5 Likes

or just reuse the events or portraits in other events so people can unlock them later.

3 Likes

As an old school gamer, I must add that I agree with the OP and just find the whole idea of “achievements” that every single game has these days super boring and uninspiring. I will be very happy when this trend in game design finally dies.

2 Likes

nobody is forcing anybody to play. you dont need those graphical icons and skins to enjoy the game, they dont affect gameplay much at all.

if you really want to have those skins then download the mod like people suggested here. someone eventually will reupload them and you can subscribe to them, it takes literally 30 seconds to do. the reuploaded mod are the exact same from official so there will be no breaking in game, if it breaks, its the game, not the mod (ie 256x tech cheat code, officially released with s*** ton of issue due to the game, same as the mod).

each time theres an event with graphical skin, and you start the game, you are literally forced to subscribe to them, which in the end is the same s*** as you manually subscribe to reuploaded official mods which takes 30 sec.

You do know that there are different types of people when it comes to gaming? And your statement is simply not true for everyone?

2 Likes

I agree. Lots of people play this game for different reasons. I am very against doing anything which harms core gameplay and makes it less competitive/decreases player choice, but when it comes to cosmetic awards and achievements, I think the more the better, as alot of people, myself included, enjoy collecting these.

My suggestion is that they should continue to have monthly themed events with new player icons/unit effects etc. However, the rewards for any particular event should only be limited to being earned for the first 6 months after release. During the first 6 months you should only be able to earn them by participating in the original event. But, after 6 months, all legacy icons/unit effects should be earnable by everyone. You could however have just one unique effect or icon for those who complete the achievements during the original event: a gold icon/gold unit effects or just 1 special colour variant

Alternatively, keep the icons/units etc. gated, but every 3 months or so have a week long mini-event where all legacy unit effects/icons can be earned again

Those are my suggestions.

5 Likes

the 256x tech cheat code has way less issues than the mod, and the cheat code actually got an update to fix some of the few issues it had, so it DOES make a difference, not to mention the implementation, since the devs have the source code of the game, is way easier to add a cheat than a modder.

2 Likes

they have the same crash issue afaik if you research and too many tech queued up it crashes. problem still persist even with cheat code.

so, tell me, do you only play with the cheat code in mind? if you enable cheats then other players can use money cheats where has 256x tech mod will only have 256x tech, no other cheats.

Haven’t had a crash with the cheat for 256x tech since the last patch on it, so idk what you talking about, and again, for the Nth time on this thread: one is official and falls under support and future development of the Age 2: DE team, the other is something fan made.
And if they make so EVERYONE has access to these cheats would make it more likely that the bugs get found and patched, not to mention they could branch into different experimental modes with better support of the community (theoretical example: an official take/implementation of Zombie Mode), which would lead more players to try and discover those modes.
There are people who don’t even know that there is a ‘workshop’ in-game for fan-made mods/maps even tho there is a button on the main menu.
They literally have nothing to lose by making the cheats and mods available for everyone, IDK why you so persistent on not having this be a change, is a win-win for everyone.

1 Like

what are you talking about, had a crash 2 nights ago and a crash today.

for the nth time, do you play the game for the sake of using that specific cheat? how often do u play with that cheat?

they do lose something by making cheats and mod available, is to put extra time into it. i’d rather have them fix something else than to fix this and as for everything they fix, something else might break.

certainly not win-win for me. I prefer the way it is right now, using cheats will grant me other things except 256x times and it is perfect. though them fixing* it wouldn’t be a problem for me, I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem for you even if they don’t. stop exaggerating it.

Most people who play AoE II DE are probably not aware of this, but Forza Horizon 4 takes time-gated content to another level. Cars are locked behind weekly events, so if you want to have every car, you have to complete things every week. Cars differ in how good they are for ranked competition, so having access to a car can affect the outcome. It’s the equivalent of getting stomped by a Khmer player, and not being able to play as Khmer yourself because you didn’t play the game in Feb 2020 when everyone had the chance to unlock Khmer.

I assume they do it because they have some internal metric that benefits from players keep playing the game, and also, it helps to coerce people into buying a game on the day of release rather than waiting to buy it cheaper later. So on the one hand, be grateful AoE II DE doesn’t lock anything that affects ranked play behind time-gates. On the other hand, it’s a trend in games that I feel should be resisted by players.

2 Likes

All of the suggestions are great, and there are much more that could resolve the problem. I don’t really understand hard-locking stuff right now, unless they really want to implement some kind of season pass later on… which I will definitely buy for two reasons: to support the game, and to be done with this grind…

what’s a time gate? you mean time-frame?