[poll] Cosmetic DLC

Surely one person can’t flag down a full post though.

Your Art is really great. Someone said that it’s not accurate or unfit to the game, that’s what concept art is for the dev to based on them and model the skin. It help visualize how a re-skin DLC would look.

Look at the event skin of Xolotl Man-At-Arm, it’s just a fun skin, and of course they need some tweak to be perfect, but that’s a closest look of how a Region skin the dev has tried to make.

3 Likes

I recall somewhere he mentioned he doesn’t report, but looks like he does.

Any update from the DLC yet? I am wonder if Return to Rome will include some new skins but I don’t want to keep my hopes up. I have a feeling they will use the existing legionary + centurion skins in the game as “new” units.

But I guess at least we can get AOE DE’s graphics support as part of the official game files.

But Japan cannot represent all of East Asia, it was the oddball rather than the norm. Apart from Japan pretty much all other East and SE Asian civs used shields extensively, including Chinese and Koreans.

I don’t suggest making a swordsman regional unit for East Asian civs. More suitable East Asian regional units are the following: 1. Fire Lancer 2. Grenadier 3. Flail Cavalry

Thank you. You got the point just right.
I don’t know what seemed unaccurate about them. I based my art on an extensive historical research, although limited by trying to keep the shapes and colors.

2 Likes

If we want to be historical accurate, Japan should be treated as a regional setting itself different then Chinese and Koreans.
But that will imply more regionals.

Inca are way more urgent to get their own architecture set.

Japan is culturally very close to China and Korea.

Can’t we crowdfund the ideas in this topic or something? If we all chip in 10-20 euros we might get somewhere :smile:

1 Like

If we want to be historically accurate there would be like a dozen of civs worthy of their own set:
Incas, Slavs, Byzantines, Vikings, Malians, Ethiopians, Japanese, Dravidians…

3 Likes

Yes, that is my point exactly. And it would be very nice to be like that.

1 Like

From the architecture point of view, yes.
From the units point of view, they are far different. So it should be urgent to get their regional unit skins done.

no need for skin only DLC. only need to have civs DLC and introduce skins on a monthly basis.

6 Likes

I get your concern with paid skins.
Also DLC does not automatically mean payed. The 4K textures are also a DLC. And I think regional skins should definitely be an optional download, paid or not.

Repeating your arguments won’t change anything though.

I’m personally surprised how many people here would pay for skins.
I myself would only pay for regional skin packs that change the visual of all units of a set of civilisations.

3 Likes

Good old days of my Independent Units mod compilation:

From left to Right : Sword Line, Spear Line and Archer Line

You guys can try this mod of mine for DE: [Omkar] Historical Units and Architectures
(Gives regional skins to civs without altering game balance, built upon Build 61321 of the game.)

7 Likes

I personally don’t consider the 4k package as DLC, just my pov.

repeating my statement does do something, in case the dev missed it. that is the whole purpose of it. if you finally agree with me not having paid DLC then thats all we need, I am ok having skinned DLC that isn’t a paid one, ie monthly releases skin pack (if you wish to call them DLC).

honestly the number of vote isn’t a whole lot, considering how many players this game has and a few hundred is like 3-5% of total player base at best. I’m sure there would be a lot more votes if they are really hyped about the idea, since they are indifferent to it, it suggests to me they don’t care either way.

1 Like

DLC = DownLoadable Content

I think the word is often used wrongly nowadays. Since many “DLCs” are things you already have on your harddrive you just pay to unlock them.
Like the new civilisations. You can play against them but you need to pay to play them yourself.

The regional skins would be a DLC in the classic sense. Something that you opt in to download.
I think that’s important because there are people with slow internet connections or limited disc space that don’t want to suddenly download a few hundred MB of sprites that they don’t want to use.

It’s more like a survey then a vote.
You would be surprised how small the sample sizes of important survey are like the ones before elections.

But I agree that any survey in the forums is biased because it only represents a certain part of the community.
A survey on Twitter or Reddit would be biased in a different way.

But I don’t see any reason to assume that people here are less or more willing to pay for such a DLC.

And even if this place is biased I don’t think it’s very biased.
Most people that don’t want to pay for it are likely people that either don’t have much money or don’t care enough.
You are just being a little paranoid about something that the devs didn’t even hint that they were wanting to do.

I see by that definition it is a DLC.

so that would put monthly skin releases as DLC because you can choose to unsub or re-sub. though it is a stretch, it is downloadable content.

that reminded me of the survey they did on Trump vs Clinton, no doubt the survey can be skewed.

Also it isn’t paranomia about them introducing new features that breaks the game. this is fact, have you not see what has happened the last two patches? taking 2-3 months to fix crashes when several hundred of people complaining on steam, reddit and on aoe2 forum is simply unacceptable. less of unneeded stuff the better.

keeping the current monthly releases to include skin, that has been working for last several years is the best method to have both skins and not break anything. free is another benefit but thats minor.

ok so you don’t want any new features, cool.

The number of people that are happy they can play the game on Xbox is orders of magnitudes higher then the number of people that have issues with bugs.
I think that was very much worth it.

I don’t agree.
I would happily accept a few minor bugs to get this feature.
Also this feature is a lot easier to implement then a console port. A console port is way way harder then just regional skins. A feature that can easily be added by a mod with a few data changes.

Why would making it a DLC suddenly introduce bugs in some way? Especially for people that don’t even have it?

Or are you just against anything that has the slightest chance to introduce any small bug to the game?

1 Like

sounds like an extremest argument. If I dont agree with you it must mean the extreme end of what you disagree with. cool.

I didn’t mention anything about minor bug did I? if you call crashing every other game minor then of course you wouldn’t agree.

going by their history of patching why wouldnt it introduce bugs would be the question.

again with the “you don’t agree with me means you must be against anything and everything”. little did you know I’m a modder and im all for great features. it just shows you’re simply argue for the sake of having it your way, without thinking of other players and other aspect of the game.

5 Likes

a new dlc must have new civilization otherwise i dont feel like paying for it

i can also attest to the amount of crashes originated from xbox release and its BAD

3 Likes