[poll] Cosmetic DLC

Based on history and geo region. They are more fit with camels than knights.

Yea they do.

Interesting source, can we have a date when it was published and the author of this document?
Also you missed to explain the photo above.

To make things clear, this is the Middle East region from a geographic point of view:

They are nearly perfect.

I personally would get a little more creative with the Paladin since only the Persians can train it.
And I don’t really like the Chavalier design but not sure how to improve that without making it hard to read.

An the male villager could wear some more clothes.

If we would be actually historic there should be no Camel civilisations at all.
Cavalry was always predominantly horses, even is Arabic armies the Camel always only played a secondary role.
The Arabic horses where so good that European monarchs payed large sums of money for them during the Middle Ages.

Persians were especially popular for their horses.
They even invented the Cataphract with itself is the predecessor of the knight.
Persians definitely qualify for a strong knight line or even unique heavy cavalry unit (some people want to make the Catahract a regional unit or give them Sogdian Cataphract from the Bukhara historic battle).

6 Likes

I think they are way too similar to the original. But the direction is fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also the horse armor originates in Persia and surroundings.

Barding is body armor for war horses. The practice of armoring horses was first extensively developed in antiquity in the eastern kingdoms of Parthia and Pahlava.

After the conquests of Alexander the Great it likely made its way into European military practices via the Seleucid Empire and later Byzantine Empire.

Catapract

for me personally it’s not all about ‘‘historical correctness’’. It’s more about a game feeling and flavor. When i play as east asian cultures i want to look at my figures and think ,yes, these are east asian people.‘’ and so on. It’s not so much about ,these Inka crossbowmen shouldn’t use crossbows’’ but more about , these inka crossbowmen shoudn’t look like european soldiers’'.

And the thing with the unique castles is something i came up with because the new factions receive a cool and unique flavor because of their unique castle designs and i thought every civ should get this treatment because it now feels strange that not every civ has its own castle.

For me it’s more about a feeling of playing different factions and cultures

8 Likes

You could not say it any better! I feel the same about this.
I don’t what the game to be 100% historical accurate but just minor changes to make you feel that you play as far east faction when playing with Koreans and not just another Briton clone.

And the good thing is that more then half of this minor changes (that I would desire) are already in the game editor, they just have to implement them, monks would be a good start.

1 Like

I think ,more then half of this’’ is somewhat exaggerated but i agree that the devs created some good stylistic examples.

just a few examples for monks, men at arms and cavalry units

2 Likes

More then half of what changes I would personally want so don’t know if it is exaggerated :smiley:

looking at every generic unit on every tier it’s not even close to ‘‘half of the work’’. But i know what you mean haha :smiley:

2 Likes

That is the exemple of how unit skins wont hurt

1 Like

unit skins can’t hurt. competitive player will deactivate them anyway (ingame or through mod like the small tree mod)

The example is not perfect cause the units are still not looking middle eastern (in my opinion).

1 Like

Thanks for sharing man.

I think this set could be used by Cumans too, given that the turkic elements are already present in the hussar, cavalier and paladins. A steppe nomad set would be more accurate, yes, but in this project of mine (I’m planning to design concept artworks for a hypothethical pack of regional skins) I want to keep the number of sets at the minimmum necessary. Cumans can use the middle east set and mongols the east asian one.

I tried many things with the cavalier, but the square patches that give the unit its characteristic look are difficult to pass by. The best I could do was transfroming it to 8-points stars. Not very historically accurate but at least doesn’t look european.

I tried to give him something like a thawb or a robe, but the silhouette and colors of the unit changed too much. One of my objectives is to design skins that resemble the shape and color distribution of the original ones, so they can be easily learnt and be used even in semi-competitive scenes. The point is to design something that appeal to a broader player base and not just to us, the history nerds.
Anyway shirtless peasants are inaccurate not only for the middle east, but for most of the world, including the current standard European set. Aside from mesoamerica, south india and southeast asia, everyones would use something over the torso.

If units skins are ever to be implemented, they must be completely optional and tuned off by default. This regional skins projects I’m working on may not appeal to the competitive top 1% of the playerbase who are used to the identical pine trees or the cubes mods, but is directed to the casual campaing players and those semi-competitive players, like me, that like to grind the ladder without leaving aside the historical setting of the game.

5 Likes

You’re working on the SLPs or only photoshopped concepts?

Just photoshop edits meant as concept art. I don’t have any skills on 3d modelling.

1 Like

Good job on the concepts.

I agree. But Persians should have Central Asian architecture anyway. Everything about that set screams “Persia”.

I think sets can be shared differently depending on the unity type.
Like some Indian civilisations could use the Middle Eastern Cavalry while sharing their Infantry with South East Asia for example.
The Cumans could get Eastern European Infantry too for example since they already use the European Trade Cart.

Some units probably have to deviate a little more from the old standard look and the Cavalier is probably the best example. Especially because it’s a lot more common outside of Europe since only the Persians (And Cumans if you consider them none European) have the Paladin.

I think it’s ok for villagers to change a little more. They already have 2 skins already anyway. Maybe the Middle Eastern Male Villager could somewhat follow the gut from the Trade Cart. People are already used to that unit and will recognise it as economic unit.

Indeed. Both Female and Male Villagers don’t look European tbh.
I think Europe should have a southern and northern Villager set because fitting to the climate of their civilisation.
So British villagers could have warmer clothes then Frankish ones.

It should be handled like the 4K texture pack.
You have to activate it in Steam to even download it, saving disk space for those who don’t care.
It if isn’t paid in first place.

I like your concept a lot.

Was it a lot of work? I tried to do some smaller concepts like that in the past but my pixel art skills aren’t that good.

You plan to do that for other regions too?

1 Like

Is @TonalNutria1129 trolling you too right now?
Also he decided on my behalf that the fact that I desire a bit less regional unit changes in the game then Azmac93, is exaggerated.
I guess he is trolling the entire thread by this point, not even a quarter of his replies are related to the game, should we report him?

I actually believe that once people get to learn new models, like these ones or a bit more deviated from the standards, readibility and unit identification is not much of an issue. As long as units have some characteristic features that help the the player learn them and get use to them, he could be comfortable playing even ranked.

I agree. But, I’ll admit it, this is purely out of nostalgia, shirtless villagers are something so iconic to the game I wouldn’t like it to see this change. Idk, there’s something lovely in watching those little guys cutting wood and farming. As I have said, standard models are already inaccurate aside of tropical zones, so I think this one can pass.

100%

The most elaborated ones, like the cavalier, knight and champion took me about 2 hours each. Some others I could have them finished in 20 min. This is something I’ve been working on in my free time for a couple of months by now. Historical research and looking for images for inspiration take quite some time as well.

Yep! Coming up next the fan favorite: The american civs.

2 Likes

Guess what he reported this too.

3 Likes