[Poll/discussion] Should French be split into New France and France

It had large claims but few actual colonies. And they NEVER fought for independent American French nation say unlike USA or Mexico.
That is the key difference.
USA has Washington
MEXICO has Miguel Hidalgo
New France as no such figure.
Heck they don’t even has states.

4 Likes

You might as well be asking for a Canadian civ which would better reflect new france AND british canada both in military and culture.

3 Likes

Yes but Canada (the earliest form of it) still is a British colony, and relations between the British and french weren’t too good either

Don’t matter. This is a game not a historical simulator. You can even have historical battles like the siege of Quebec and the rebellions of 1837-8 and the north west rebellions as historical scenarios.

1 Like

Then nothing wrong with New France, thanks for clearing that up

That isn’t even the main issue.
New France never wanted to be independent.
UNLIKE US New France didn’t want to replace Native Americans but rather live with them as business partners.
They could give less about independence.

3 Likes

New France is literally just france minus most of everything.

2 Likes

Yes and there is nothing wrong with Elvish civ but we won’t be seeing it in AOE 3.

1 Like

This would make for some cool civ mechanics. Along with new France we can get an Algonquin native civilization as well.

1 Like

If by New France you mean the French colonies in Canada I would not add them to the game as they were not an independent nation. And the nation of Canada is too late in the timeline

India wasn’t independent until 1900s and the game clearly establishes India as being a British colony during the game period?

It’s trying to be both the Mughal’s and the British Raj while failing to do both.

5 Likes

It is clear that in order to become a “American civ” you need two things “revolutionary leader” who argued for independence AND the states ( this is most important)
New France has neither of these things.
How will they age up?

They will age up with beaver pelts of course. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I can’t recall a more lopsided poll, so naturally, people are arguing. Never change internet.

2 Likes

Yeah but that is why France is in the game because they had colonies which is what the original game was built around

I think you guys missed my post where i said i was fine and was going to make a rework of the French civ instead to give more to references to its colonies and the effects they had on France

Then why were you continuing to argue as if you were arguing for a New France civ?

2 Likes

New France civ is a stupid idea anyways.
That is what French civ was in orginal AOE 3… before DE anyways.
just what do you think Coureur des Bois are?

4 Likes

Just barely references apart from one unit. But in general ask all European civs are just boring copies with not many unique stuff to any of them (the Voltigeur could be a unique unit rather than an upgrade (these are Napoleonic btw. So it looks like the devs primarily focused on post1800 France). And still mainly generic cards and units to show hints of the colonization and native to relations