[Poll] Mythologies you would like to see implemented in potential expansions? (If DE or a sequel ever comes out)

Let me explain myself better. Most written sources about continental Celts come from greeks and romans. It was prohibited for the Celts to write down religion or history. It was transmitted orally by the druids. The writting was rare and was reserved to the elite, such as druids.

Ah well the writer said that christian monks in the early medieval times wrote down the told stories.

Thatā€™s right, in Ireland

According to this writer also in central europe.

Make an ā€˜earlobeā€™ civilization.

Each earlobe has a different ā€˜typeā€™.

Such as ā€˜citizen earlobeā€™ starts collecting deer for food. The ones that fight spin around like in 3d mode like a wheel and then they also hire ā€˜feetā€™ and other such creatures to come stomp around.

Usually these are depicted in all mythologies and so it makes perfect sense.

Hello and greetings to all hmm the mythology that i want to see is Lovecraft

1 Like

Pfff and you would get Cthulu as a titanā€¦

2 Likes

and will have Eldritch creatures

Of courseā€¦would be awesomeā€¦

yes i think would be nice

Surprised to see SEA (Japan, etc) so low. I do wonder how the forum demographics skew internationally.

Iā€™m British (as heck haha) but Japanese myth has a lot of fascinating stuff. Thereā€™s a lot you can do with yokai and the Night Parade of a Hundred Demons alone. This is before you get onto things like guardian shrines, creator myth and so on.

(also voted for Persian and Mesoamerican, but theyā€™re popular picks)

I honestly donā€™t think Japanese Myth is that low as you think it is. Its just in the middle ground I would say of most wanted new civs and I think that also has to do with two things: 1. Ppl want a drastic overhaul of Chinese civ first and 2. there are cultures like Persian, Mesopotamian, African and especially south American (Aztec/Inka/Maya) which simply are more drastically different than the existing ones I assume. - and about Slavic which might be as similar to Norse as Chinese to Japan: I guess most want Slavic more since it has the classic vampires and werewolves in it (even I think you could bring werewolves into Norse similar they brought Manticore into Greek)

1 Like

my personal favorites would be babylonians, celts, romans and japanese

and yes i know about the ā€˜ā€˜roman mythology is technical the sameā€™ā€™ thing BUT:

• the romans are an iconic choice for any age game based on the antique
  • there are still some little differences to play with
  • the whole not mythological part of this culture is way different enough
  • many things can be switched around logical and interesting (Ares is a greek minor god. His roman counterpart Mars could make a great major god here for example)
  • same goes for myth units (the atlantean satyr is a spear throwing fighter, the faun (roman counterpart) could be a fluteplaying healer dressed in leaves etc.)
  • roman counterparts of not used greek gods could also be used (for example faunus with his faun units)
    etcā€¦

gods that would technically appear in both cultures (ares and mars for example) would of cause get own artworks and a little bit of a different interpretation overal

just my 2 cents :smiley:

and yes, a mesoamerican culture could be cool aswell

Doesnā€™t make any sense at all, itā€™s the same god.

1 Like

Native Americanā€¦Would be awesome

1 Like

Itā€™s a little bit more complicated than that. Romans already worshiped their gods before they learnt about the Greek ones, they just didnā€™t have myths about them that we know of (and interestingly enough, I heard their gods were genderless by this point). When they decided to adopt the Greek myths, they associated each of their gods with the closest Olympian in term of attributes and domain, but they didnā€™t necessarily change their personilities. Thus the Roman Mars, symbole of a warrior virtues and excellence, replaced Ares in the myths despite Ares being largely despised by the Greeks as a warrior with no discipline and a behaviour more beastly than human in their mind, losing his temper on yhe battlefield and fleeing cowardly as soon as heā€™s hurt. Yhe Romans ended up with some gods being presented as quite different in their myths and in their worship.

3 Likes

Obviously some myths were different, even in some parts of ancient Greece there were different interpretations for the same myth or godā€™s portrait (Ares was considered by Spartans an example of warrior virtues and excellence aswell).

However, it still doesnā€™t mean that roman gods were that different from their greek counterparts, adding roman mythology would be extremely redundant given that both greek and atlantean mythologies already coexist in the game.

I donā€™t think so. And i listed several reasons why and methods how. But i can understand your opinion. :slight_smile:

Atlanteans are a better justifications than Greeks to exclude Romans, tbh. They take way too much inspiration from Rome and we need civs with a more unique feeling.

1 Like

I initialy thoght the same because in a very early concept they seemed to be romans in an alpha state of the addon but when you think about it:
are they too roman because they have one unit with a tower shield and one with a gladiator helmet?
the titans arenā€™t roman, the myth units arenā€™t roman, the architecture isnā€™t roman, the rest of the units (and the general look) isnā€™t roman and nothing in the playstyle concept feels roman (except maybe the favor thing).

1 Like