[Poll] Please, make all Settlers to 0 pop count for the Immigrants technology

This is not stupidity. This is an alternative for players who wanted over 300 pop. And I admit that it’s unsuccessful.

Surely this can be reported as trolling xD.

On topic: making vils cost 0 pop would mean more room for stuff like cannons and ranged units, making critical masses easier to reach, making the game impossible to balance. There’s mods with 1000 pop of you want, the balance there is obviously horrendous.

4 Likes

If the devs implement a 300 pop limit mode like in age 2, it should always be an increase in pop space, not pop reduction of any units.

1 Like

Même si je suis en désaccord avec Roman22119456, je ne vois pas en quoi de le traiter indirectement de stupide fera avancer le débat.

3 Likes

No.
I don’t want more crashes

2 Likes

11 Likes

Some people just cannot stand having less than 100 soldiers, it’s just itching to an unbearable point to them. Your gameplay idea was a genius idea and the overall reception was great? Nah nah nah, it’s poop because having many units is more important than that. Mods allow you to have more units? Nooo :sob: I want it in the base game even though most of the players don’t want it. Other games allow you to control many units? I’m not going to play that game, I want the same thing in AOE3! My idea is fantastic, people, trust me! Allocate dev resources into this idea just for the sake of experimentation, it’s fine if a lot of people end up hating it, at least we tried!

Oh yeah I almost forgot to express my own opinion. I don’t have any. I’m just already happy with what we already have right now. I guess you can say it’s “status quo bias” and I fear the change. To which I’m going to reply that I’m pretty sure the majority of the players also have the same bias. Villagers costing pop is literally at the core of AOE3, every single civ is subject to it. You’re going to need to rework all of them to keep the game balanced and to account for god knows what kind of stupid consequences the idea of removing vil pop creates. People are going to be mad for sure, even more than they already are. “We haven’t had any attention for weeks and weeks, and the moment you decide to do something, you decide to remove pop cost?” Something along those lines.

3 Likes

No, what is the point , in supremacy that throws off balance just enables lazy players who don’t want to build houses so they can easily spam units. Treaty this would really be bad. You could raise the pop cap to 300-350 but then vills cap needs raised to match unit count capabilities which means maps would need to be bigger and everything would run slower. Honestly the population situation is fine as is.

5 Likes

Look friend, you have to understand that reducing Settlers’ pop to 0 would be a very radical change, since the entire game would become very different, altering many limitations and strategies. It occurs to me that a better idea to achieve what you want would be, for example, to have the Immigrants technology reduce the pop of Settlers, Villagers, etc. to 0, the pop of the Settler Wagons to 1, and that the Capitol can be built in the Industrial Age to be able to research Immigrants and Knighthood only (the rest of the technologies remain in the Imperial era). In this way, the game is not altered in the early ages, it only changes in the later stages of the game.

And yet, I think many people would still consider this too big a change to accept.

1 Like

I agree, but only as a separate game mode. It should not be a substitute for central mechanics.

What I would like them to not occupy population are the villagers that are obtained through native alliances. As a coureur de bois Cree or the Berber villagers.

I agree with you. Having zero population costs for settlers is just a bad idea. And like you said, there is no need to insult anybody

1 Like

I agree!
Thanks for all answers. I admit it was unsuccessful a first idea.
But I change Poll, and please, re-vote if you wants. Thanks!

I think such a modification would give too much of an advantage to some Civs that can get villagers for free, and some other Civs that can unlock this upgrade a step earlier.

I think even locking it behind Immigrates would cause balance issues.

I think some civs won’t have the eco to support it and it’d actually be a massive buff to Germany late game. 139 vill pop + 160 military is way, way way better than 99 vill pop and 200 military pop.

It would also nerf the French, Japan and Dutch late game as they all have extra military pop space currently.

Native Civs would get the shortest end of the stick with an economy that can barely support a 101 military in a lot of cases.

It would also be an issue for team games. If I make age 5 my military and eco still get the +50% upgrades, then I double my military size and you have no chance anymore. Being the first to age 5 is a huge advantage, I think it’s best not to have it double your military pop space too.

1 Like

this is a pointless conversation

you can have it as a mod or a separate game mode at some point

there is no reason that it should be part of the main game.

What reason is there that OP has for something like this to be part of the main game?

If the only reason you have is “some people want it” then thats what mods are for.

6 Likes

About Germany Settlers Wagons - I have already said several times - they are an exception!

Many players want a over 200 pop cap. And here it’s easy to understand that they want a more wars units

Increasing the pop cap and making villagers cost 0 pop are two different things. I wouldn’t mind a pop cap increase in a separate game mode or as a parameter, but 0 pop villagers don’t make sense at all. You remind me of that guy on the AOM forum who wanted to make all military units cost 1 pop. This would completely alter the balance of the game. As many have already told you, mods exist.

But you missed what I said. Germany would be at a huge advantage because a 99 vill eco won’t support a 200 military pop army well enough. Germany’s advantage (huge advantage) is a bigger eco at the expense of military pop. A 140 vill pop can probably support a 160 military pop. I don’t care if SW still cost two pop, it’s a massive buff to Germany all the same.

2 Likes

Post closed for violating the Code of Conduct, it is strictly prohibited to change topic titles in this way!

4 Likes