[Poll] Post-Porto Civ DLC by Region

simple XD

-20 characters-

Africa won by a lot of people xd… bring us southern Africa…

3 Likes

One-liners aside, how will you decide what is a huge historical event?

One objective way is to look at the numbers, the number of deaths, the number of fighters, the number of farmers, the size of economy, the population of the region etc.

I think everyone agrees on this, right? Numbers don’t lie

2 Likes

No. It is way simpler: It must be in Europe.

4 Likes

For you, maybe it’s not a big deal.
But it’s a kind of a big deal historically.
It’s a Christian reformist war pre-Protestant Reformation and a precursor to the European wars of religion that would dominate the continent for the next few centuries.
It also displayed a change in military tactics on the continent, with the mass adoption of firearms.
It basically set the tone for European history for the next few centuries.
On top of that, the Hussites performed above all expectations and basically defeated the entirety of Europe a number of times.
Overall, an exceptional event that has historical importance.

How do you know that?
Who do you know that “taught” me?

I’ve already said that my historical knowledge comes from my own interest and investigation.
If everything I knew was only the stuff I learnt in high school, I wouldn’t be a very smart person.

If they’re not interested in it then that’s fine.
They can be interested in whatever they want to be interested in.
It doesn’t mean that very important historical things didn’t happen.
If someone doesn’t understand who Babur is, it doesn’t suddenly make him unimportant.
He’s important because he massively changed history and there is a lot of evidence around to support that.

Okay maybe you’re not satisfied with Nerathion’s answer
But are you satisfied with mine?

Of course, even Tibetans I do not think they put them by cof cof china cof cof and the Mississippians there is not so much information as to make them a campaign, although you have the war of the Tiguex between 1539 and 1543 between Puebloan leader Xauían and the Spanish conquitadors Hernando de Soto and Francisco Vázquez de Coronado…

Of course, there is where to get dlcs…

the numbers are on the side of the vast Asian and African civilizations, not on the side of Serbocroats or Romanians or Frisians etc. etc etc…

Numbers meaning all this:

1 Like

Exactly, and same can be said for all regions in the world. Even then, I wouldn’t say all of the campaigns even post DE are designed with this in mind. How many of the campaigns post DE are designed around huge historical moments? Can you actually say campaigns around Joan of Arc or William Wallace are that important? Hautevilles? Even the Polish-Lithuanian campaigns?

They are important ones for those cultures, but not as you put it,

And, I also disagree - I don’t think the campaigns need to be designed around those. It can be just around regional mythos and heroics, such as Joan of Arc or William Wallace. They’re simply the most known to AoE 2 players because of the campaigns.

1 Like

Mississippians defeated 2 Spanish expeditions and then there was a famous battle they lost in Mabila which led to their downfall. So I guess:

1. Narvaez expedition
  2. De Soto expedition
  3. De Soto expedition
  4. De Soto expedition
  5. Battle of Mabila
1 Like

Just saying @Spilskinanke, while reading my books on break by non-AOE players, the only thing I got while reading about the history of the latest Euro civ additions was weird looks and incomprehension. Yes, they’re not historians, but that’s actually the point. They have zero name recognition with the exception of Poles.

It’s pretty obscure history, even for other Europeans.

I’m well aware that you could argue that for most non-Euro civs still remaining, but I’m really shaking my head when you think that the additions in LotW and DotD can be considered “essential”.

With the exception of Poles which somewhat have some name recognition, the rest is nothing but obscure except for the people from those regions (and that even is not sure. Burgundy is somewhat relevant for Swiss history, but you really need to be interested in Swiss history to know that.).

Especially if they’d bloat up even more some of the most used architecture sets and don’t even come with cool new stuff like Siege Elephants, there’s no reason to add even more of very similar Euro civs.

9 Likes

I like it… although I would make a Caucasian dlc on the one hand with Georgia (campaign of Queen Tamar) and Armenia (campaign of Ashot the Great) and a Slavic campaign with Ivan III of Russia, and on the other a Balkan dlc with Vlachs (Dracula), Serbs (Stephen Dušan) and Croats (Zvonimir, ally of Robert Guiscard)…

1 Like

I think what determises a huge event is its significance and impact, not deaths or the population,
Large groups of people can die for pointless reasons and sometimes things stay the same no matter how many people die.
That’s most of history, really.

A great example of significant moment in history is the aftermath of the failed invasions of Korea by the Japanese in 16th century.
The Chinese and Koreans united to defeat the experienced Japanese forces.
The defeat would lead to Hideyoshi’s death and set the stage for the Tokugawa Shogunate.
The Japanese defeat would lead become part of the reason why the Tokugawa Shogunate adopted its isolationist policies.
This would end up having profound impacts on the world later.
Yi Sun-sin is still a national hero in Korea today because of his heroic defense of his homeland.

There, that’s a non-European event that I know about that had a huuuge impact.
One where I didn’t even go into much detail on.
If there were more or less soldiers in that war, it wouldn’t really have made things more or less impactful on history, so the scale of battles isn’t necessarily what makes them big historical events.

(Flashbacks of the Yugoslav wars incoming)…

Everything is possible…

Yes, of the haudenosaunee you could make a campaign of Hiawatha on the foundation of the haudenosaunee confederation (1534-1570) and on Oceania you have the expansion of the tui tonga empire at the beginning of the thirteenth century by the hand of Momo…

2 Likes

You’re reducing the importance of those events because you’re not interested in them.
I don’t know if I want to play teacher all day and give everyone a history lesson.
I think it’s a bit silly to say “prove to me that it’s important and if you don’t then it will confirm to me that it is unimportant!”
If you don’t care then fine.
But just because you don’t care, it doesn’t make it not important.
I don’t know why we can’t just shake hands and say “both these things are important” or something.

1 Like

Yes, Southeast Asia will not touch it again, except for aoe 3 DE…

They are not going to put 60-70 civs, that would already be hell to balance, so that later in the tournaments the pro players play with the 5-10 civs more op…