[Poll] Post-Porto Civ DLC by Region

Rest assured that the Joan of Arc of aoe 4 has a worse time, passes without pain or glory in two scenarios and already and for that they put her on the cover bigger than the other heroes…

Of course, the same applies with the African dlc for aoe 3 DE, who knew Queen Amina and the Hausa, before that…no one except Nigerians…

You have quotations marks around “essential” and implying that I said that.
Did I say that?

The devs can make them however they like.
Poles are a civ that I don’t think are particularly reflective of the historical Poles, but I think they have a strong design as a civ so I’m happy and I think FE did a good job making them.
I think pretty much everyone has said that Hindustanis should get some kind of heavy cavalry if you’re looking at them from a realistic historical perspective.
But FE are trying to make a different kind of feeling civ by not giving them knights and I support that.
I think geography and history isn’t an excuse for lacklustre game design.

2 Likes

Of course, aoe 2 HD and aoe 2 DE should be considered as different games that live in their own ecosystem, but have the same origin in age of kings…

Of course, in fact I while playing the campaigns of the new dlcs, I open the steam browser and start looking in wikipedia about the context of the mission…

1 Like

That is true, with this dlc of the Indian subcontinent they play on safe and on top of that they will gather it in shovel …

So, where do you look for information? Who do you read?
You see huge historical events that are huge to the eyes of those who you read. This means that other huge historical events may not be reported because your sources don’t give them credit or dislike them or just don’t talk about things that are outside their fields of study.

5 Likes

Yes, we need to have a campaign during the Black Death (1347-1351) or during the beginning of the Hundred Years’ War (1337-1351), the fall of Constantinople (1451-1453) and the War of the Roses (1455-1483)… and later in AoE 3 DE, the Italian wars (1494-1559), the War of the 30 years (1618-1648), the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars (1789-1815) and finally the Civil War (1861-1865)…

1 Like

And?
I don’t understand your point in reference to what I’m saying.
I’ve been saying that important historical events have still occoured in time, whether people know them or not.

You’re saying:

Which looks to like we’re saying the same thing?
Or am I misunderstanding?

1 Like

That’s true, they are not known for who they are but for what they did and as history remembers them…

All of the events you mentioned are European, so pick and choose the major ones out of those. Let Asia and Africa have their share of events too. Currently Europe has half the campaigns and nearly half the civs.

Asia is much more (three to four times more) vast in terms of population, number of events, significance and diversity than Europe is, so try to read on Asian events for once too, because European history is but a small part of world history, the majority of which is dominated by Asian history.

No one is saying they can’t, at least what I am seeing. How did this topic even turn into another European bashing event anyway

1 Like

Of course, also because they were the best known characters of the medieval period in the late 90s, that is, you have Braveheart with Mel Gibson and Joan of Arc with Milla Jovovich

1 Like

Read the title of the thread.
This thread is literally the thread where we discuss about which region to have civs from in the future.

This is where we can discuss whether to stop adding European civs now onwards (due to the sheer number of European civs) for example.

5 Likes

By belittling American and African history as not being able to have great story lines to tell and defending the last DLCs like they were amazing you give me this impression not going to lie.

Sundjata is for me personally alongside Montezuma the best campaign to date. If you want to know which European campaign I like the most by the amounts I’ve replayed it, it’s probably William Wallace 11

Especially that you don’t seem to realize that there’s like half of the roster which is already filled up with civs from a rather small region of the globe with civs becoming more and more obscure and representing less and less people and the last two DLCs before DoI just added more of that instead of continuing to represent big groups of people not yet ingame.

I might get you wrong here, but this seems rather biased than being neutral.

2 Likes

Of course, that’s why I put down the Tiguex war…

What I understood from you is that there are some events that are inherently important. As there is no inherently important historical event, as anyone can check reading some history theory, what you - or anyone - consider “huge historical events” are based on their readings, therefore, they are somehow biased.

1 Like

We literally saw some European say “No one has heard of Dravidians, Bengalis and Rajputs/Gurjaras”
We literally saw another say “The number of people doesn’t matter for the significance of an event”
We literally saw another on this thread say that Asians and Africans “cannot afford PCs LOL”.
And when I responded “White europeans are not the only ones playing this game”, we literally saw another response where the person said “show me the data which shows non-white people playing this game”.

It is Asia and Africa whose history is being bashed for all this time, whose history has been largely ignored, despite having the majority of the events of the world and the largest significance.

8 Likes

So my question is, how long will european players keep ignoring the 2 billion south asians, the 1.5 billion chinese, and the 1.5 billion Africans’ history?

4 Likes

Of course, it is a connection of events that begins in Kyoto in 1582 with the assassination of Nobunaga and the rise of Hideyoshi, his invasion to Korea in 1592 and his defeat at Noryang Point in 1598 by Yi-Sun-sin, his death enters in the middle and the vacuum of power that leaves to fill it Tokugawa after his campaign of Sekigahara (seen in aoe 3 TAD) and the siege of Osaka of 1615 that ends with the definitive unification of Japan…