[poll] Return of Rome: How much AoE1 and how much AoE2 do you want?

You can’t determent the military strength of an army purely based on the metals they used.

There are a lot more factors and both the Inca and the Aztecs had quit powerful armies. The biggest missing asset were horses.
Which is also probably the biggest weakness of an actual Bronze Age army because they didn’t have cavalry yet, only chariots.

4 Likes

That was my point though!

2 Likes

I dont know. Leaving the game as close as possible to how it is is enough for me, but, at the same time, making changes in AOE2 direction would still be cool. And I actually hope you can play AOE 1 vs 2 in non-ranked lobbies for fun

Interesting that the majority of people wants AoE2ROR to be more like AoE2 or directly be AoE2 content.
The biggest complaint about the Engine port that people were bringing up was that they don’t want AoE1 to be more like AoE2.
Not sure how biased people are in an AoE2 from and what people understand under “Most AoE2 features”.
Likely not gunpowder units, but castles, trebuchets and knights?

I though your point with the Iron Age was that AoE1 civs would be stronger then Inca.

2 Likes

But see the Sparta not get any bonus economy, and why Rome empire and republic+ athen can get too much best bonus??

Sparta and Athens are both the same Civilisation in AoE1, the Greeks.
Rome is also just one Civilisation.

We are not talking about the Rome Returns mod here.

6 Likes

The reason I don’t like AOE I DE is because it is not AOE II DE: Everyone is the same except for a series of technology combinations.

No unique units, no unique techs… it was the first one, so capabilities were limited. As a AOE II DE player, I need to have Romans-only centurions vs Persian-only Immortals.

6 Likes

They can’t add civs from before 0 AD to the medieval themed AoE2 civs without killing AoE2’s vibe. Babylonians fighting the Sicilians is like Romans fighting Napoleon. Good poll though, funny how many people would be ok with it.

4 Likes

Return of Rome is the AoE1 port, Rome Returns was an old DLC, it sounds like you’re referencing modern Rome at War, which has Greeks and Romans both split.

I understand that the same graphics engine is used in AOE-1 and AOE-2. Just like AOM and AOE-O it uses the same engine as AOE-3.

The iron age bullet point was because the other guy described the mashup as Bronze Age vs Gunpowder. But gunpowder is only unlocked in the 4th age in AoE2, and by the 4th age AoE1 civs are in the iron age.

3 Likes

Funny how that sounds like an AoE3 player talking about AoE2.
“I need Aztecs to have unique units and not Crossbows and Champions in plate armour!”

I’m kinda surprised too but maybe that’s because many never tried AoE1 or can’t remember much of it.

Too man similar sounding mods.
Rome Returns in an AoE2 mod that tried to be an AoE1 port.
Rome at War is an AoE2DE mod that doesn’t try to be like AoE1.
Return of Rome is an AoE2DE DLC that sound like an AoE1 port.

2 Likes

It’s a fantasy war game. Hardly any of the civs fought each other historically in aoe2.

It depends; adding civilizations like the Egyptians is obviously anachronistic, but other factions are already represented in both AOE1DE and AOE2DE: for example

• You play as Romans in AOE1DE in main Rise of Rome campaigns, and against (late) Romans in AOE2DE in Attila and Alaric campaign;
  • You play against Huns in AOE1DE (in which they are represented by Japanese), and as Huns in AOE2DE in the Attila campaign;
  • And so on for Celts/Gauls, Britons, and others.
    So, why not?

I want:
-Every single civ from aoe1 and probably a few more like Mauryans, Celts, Israelites, Nubians etc.
-AOE2 features like gates, formations
-Units and Buildings should be remade to look somewhat similar to AOE2
-More generic and unique units to diversify the game a little
-Campaign experience similar to AOE2: gameplay, storytelling and map design
-Ranked should remain the same, aoe1 should be an option in the lobby

11 Likes

I agree but I don’t think AoE1 and AoE2 should be able to fight each other in ranked matches.
If you’d balance AoE1 to AoE2 then you would have destroy what makes AoE1 unique to be able to make it balanced.

Pretty much same.

The buildings and units work pretty well in AoE2 with minimal changes, looking at the Rome at War mod for example.

4 Likes

Funny how this is the complete opposite for me. In age of empires I enjoy diversity as holes in the tech tree and passive boni. In aoe2 I rarely make unique units.

Having aoe 1 ported into the aoe 2 engine is already a big plus to the aoe 1 game as we will benefit from a better AI, better pathing and a good replay & castign option. This is the most important for me.
A few nice aoe 2 features such as farm reseeding and stances were already added to aoe1de. I’d like gates for sure, maybe market features, but not more than that. If there is no such feature added (“as close as soe1 as possible”), I am fine with that. If the DLC turns out being “16 civs added to aoe2de”, I am not interested and would rather stick to aoe1de.

5 Likes

I may be the minority here, but I hope the devs take what is best from both games and use it as a starting point to further refine the gameplay. There is no point in just porting aoe 1 to aoe 2 engine if gameplay does not get refined (which probably also requires at least a few new units and techs for balance), but there is also no point in making aoe 1 DLC a reskinned aoe 2 set in antiquity.

My hope is that the devs do not give in and try to cater to a nostalgic fanbase but actually make something accessible to new player and potentially enjoyable to everyone. Given how much they improved over the last couple of AoE 2 DLCs, I believe they have the skills to pull it off.

@Skadidesu:

Funny how that sounds like an AoE3 player talking about AoE2.

I do actually agree. In general, in terms of civ diversity, I do think the best games are AOE III & AOE IV. I would prefer them over AOE II if they had the same engine, & if AOE IV had the same civs. Of course, making a civ like AOE III DE requires a gargantual effort in terms of design & balance, so that is a very slow & expensive process, which makes me stick to AOE II: I can get some level of diversity specifics, with what we have available.

@Zelley00:

In age of empires I enjoy diversity as holes in the tech tree and passive boni.

But then the question is «Who’s this for?»: Is this for AOE I players or AOE II DE players? Or they are trying to reach both fanbases?
If this is targeted to AOE I players, then hopefully they are keeping the exact same features as in AOE I, making it a different game (but with a stronger-developed engine): I’m all for it, although not for me. In the Final (Red Bull) they did mention they could be restarting a couple games, due to a couple map generation issues: if AOE II engine can fix that, I’m happy for AOE I fanbase.

1 Like

Thats not gonna happen lol

2 Likes