[Poll] Should AoE4 get Native Americans?

Eventually it just became England instead, as it was wreally just Norman royalty

Mongols didn’t occupy China forever, which is why it is here too lol

the only way to balance is to be inaccurate in history portrayal

2 Likes

They could use ladders. Units carrying them are faster than siege towers, but are less protected.

1 Like

They are all less protected anyway vs. superior arms

Yes, I wanted to say that siege towers protect units inside them, ladders obviously don’t.

Then Adam Isgreen lied.
He said “I want the game to be a TRUSTED source of History”.

1 Like

Watch the Norman campaign trailer.
And than think of that again.

what does the trailer have to do with anything

1 Like

What’s with this insistence on historical accuracy in the poll? Obviously some liberties need to be taken to balance the game, especially with Native American civs. That either means giving horses to the Mayans (strongly opposed) or giving them a guy who runs really, really fast.

4 Likes

Relic said they want this game to be a TRUSTED source of History, which means realism.

2 Likes

“especially with Native American Civs” aka drastic liberties

1 Like

Then that would be no native civ at all. How can you make a balanced historically accurate civ where the Mayans have no access to cav or cav-like unit?

I wouldn’t put too much weight on what Relic said. If they can make the game as accurate as possible without compromising the gameplay then that would be great, but obviously there are limits and they know it. They know academics won’t be citing AOE4 for research papers on the middle ages.

We’ve already seen many “inaccuracies” in the gameplay clips we’ve seen. Giving the Mayans a super fast guy who acts like a horse is no more offensive than boats that defy the laws of physics.

1 Like

You can’t, thus why this was not a poll option.

Things like arrow reloads is not as inaccurate as native s killing knights

2 Likes

On the contrary, there are ways to make them work, as Rush civs and sucking on Water, but they could have very asymmetric and unconventional, but still realistc designes. I have already posted some suggestions.

The first poll option was that option. Yes to Native American civs but historically accurate, suggesting acceptance of a lack of balance and bad gameplay.

That is because people would prefer authentic Nat-Ams, than magically “gifted” Nat-Ams.

The vast majority of teh AoE playerbase does not want to play competitively, they want to play with mostly accurate civilizations, witha few (FEW) concessions made for teh sake of gameplay.

The vast majority of the playerbase does not really care for balance.

3 Likes

I don’t know about that. The more I think about it the more I think the first option’s numbers are largely based on a misunderstanding of the implications of historical accuracy.

Of course historical accuracy is good most of the time but gameplay takes precedence, otherwise I’d go play Total War, which has detailed uniforms but is generally a far more boring and less stimulating game. I would say that Age of Empires has benefitted the field of history more than Total War – not because it is more accurate but because it INSPIRES people to study and appreciate history. Total War has details, Age has soul.

Going online, playing Mayans and getting wrecked by other intermediate players wouldn’t inspire me to go read a book on the Mayans.

Also I don’t see why people would be bothered by magically gifted native Americans when we have magically gifted Europeans and Asians.

3 Likes

I am sorry, Starscream, but which one is it?
This is a double standard. You either have them realistic enough to teach History, or admit thety are just pure fantasy and not representative of teh Mayans at all, at which point they could just be Gnomes or Gremlins, since it would not matter, because they teach no actual History.

Ask the Native Council they got to correct Age of Empires 3.
Do you really think we should keep teh Noble Savage imagery?

Where?

Europeans and Asians receive less “magical gifts” than natives will

1 Like

If at all!
I saw no magic in the Eurasian civs, except for the artillery crew being abstract golden ghosts, which the community is asking the devs to review.

1 Like