POLL: Should (Regular/Non-Polish/Non-Lithuanian/Non-Magyar) Hussars have "wings"?

With the introduction of Winged Hussar as a unique unit for the Lithuanians and the Poles…

Should (Regular/Non-Polish/Non-Lithuanian/Non-Magyar) Hussars have “wings”?
  • Regular Hussar SHOULD have wings
  • Regular Hussar should NOT have wings
  • Neutral Response (“I’m fine either way” / “I don’t care”)

0 voters

You can argue about the Magyar Huszar in the comments too, but the poll is about the regular Hussar

3 Likes

Changing the unit skin for 23 civs just because of the addition of a single civ is stupid just because you don’t feel it. There’s a lot of other innacurate stuff but I don’t see you complain there and no, we’re not doing it step by step, ask for a regional unit DLC instead. This I’d support.

9 Likes

I just think it’s redundant, it’s not really about accuracy (that ship sailed when the devs made Mamluks people throwing swords from the back of bactrian camels, 22 years ago)
Imagine if the regular champion had a jaguar pelt in it’s sprite, it would be cool, but what would make them different from the Jaguar Warrior?
Also the “this is not a problem alt+F4 is the real problem” is not a real argument, this isn’t a huge problem, this can be easily “fixed” if you have the original unit models (devs have them) and the team who works on unit graphics is NOT the team who works on multiplayer, matchmaking, balance and stuff like that… It’s like saying a painter shouldn’t paint the room because the locksmith hasn’t fixed the locks (assuming both are on a payroll like devs are)

2 Likes

It’s just a cool little design that comes from the original game.
There are much much bigger things to be concerned about in AoE2.
Dev energy is better spent elsewhere.

4 Likes

Yeah sure, let’s have the artists work on the balance and matchmaking of the game… (read my previous comment)

1 Like

Don’t change the look of a classic unit that has been with us for over 20 years.

7 Likes

I believe the units are actually 3D models that have been converted into 2D sprites.
It’s not like an artist/modeller is the sole person who implements these things, it requires a team of people.
Dev energy is better spent getting lunch and enjoying themselves than to remove the wings.
It’s just not that big of a deal or something to treat too seriously.

I think the way to go is if they release an official ‘No-wings-Hussar/Huszar’ mod so that you have the choice. Everyone would be happy and I don’t think it would be that much work to just remove the wings from the 3D model. Development time would be better spent for such things than making snowman@arms and banana projectiles.

7 Likes

Exactly, make it an official mod (either make the mod remove the wings, or remove the wings by default and have a mod that adds them back) that way everyone is happy

2 Likes

Yes they are so its not a huge task to remove a part from a current model and render.

1 Like

what was the point of making a unique model for the winged hussar if were just going to yank wings off normal hussars? makes zero sense to have the devs do even more work, just leave it as is, the new model is better then the old one anyway.

4 Likes

Not to mention, this is the 4th or 5th thread with the same demand.
In germany we have that saying that.
“Presistant trickle holes the stone.”

Meaning If you just spam the same demand over and over even the most resistant becomes tender.
And in this case, it’s appearant that these “wingless hussar” people just try to force the devs to concede to their demanding, Please stop that. It’s destroying the whole forum culture, like equalizer destroyed it with his permanent “mameluke is terrible” rants.

2 Likes

Actually most of Asiatic civs light Cav. Used winglike things not just Polish ones.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F474x%2Fe8%2Ff6%2Fd4%2Fe8f6d49cdade8d68a459a6687e06a062--ottoman-empire-homework.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F646336983993491695%2F&tbnid=muu41rzo321AuM&vet=12ahUKEwj1u4716avyAhXN67sIHVFvAPEQMygDegQIARA7..i&docid=rplX-bB1aw0jGM&w=468&h=690&q=Turkish%20delis&ved=2ahUKEwj1u4716avyAhXN67sIHVFvAPEQMygDegQIARA7#imgrc=muu41rzo321AuM&imgdii=jniQqo7-FDWFGM

2 Likes

Btw it’s pretty funny when we discusing which civs should have wings when historically not even Poles used them, all of the paintings of cavalery with wings on their backs come from 19th century artist ho imagined the military from 200 years ago in this way, relying on 18th century parade armor, not used in combat 11

1 Like

I agree having wings would slow the horse down with drag.

As of now only 63% of voters aren’t against this. Looks to me like it’s time for a change.

Will be great because otherwise every time a civ uses Hussars it feels like you are facing the Poles/Commonwealth, who Winged Hussars are just associated with.
It’s such a prominent feature that it’s hard to ignore unlike if it e.g. was just for some emblem.