[Poll] Ultimate Attempt to convince devs to change Flemish Revolution

I will just make the Poll here and leave all the explanation to the voters.

The question to answer is:

“What do you think about Flemish Revolution in its current state?”

• Great tech, I love it
  • It’s just part of the game now
  • It’s bad, need to be changed
  • Completely defies the basic concept of the game, remove it entirely

0 voters

2 Likes

I think that the tech can work by changing the F Militia. It still wont be great but will be okay

1 Like

I like the actual Flemish Militia unit, but hate the current state of the technology. I think the concept of a strong anti-cavalry Champion-esq unit trained from TCs is incredibly interesting and dynamic in the sense that it provides:

• A unique way of fighting back against Hussar/Knight raids.

• Repurposes the superfluous TCs you have doing nothing in Post-Imp into military production buildings.

• Synergies with the boosted relic bonus, Burgundian vineyards and good Infantry tech tree through the 60F and 25G cost of the UU

• Subtly reinforces the economy focus of the Burgundians with a military focused twist

But I hate how this is gated behind a 1200F and 650G tech that nukes your economy, the devs really should remove this asinine requirement and completely rework the effect of the tech, so that as Burgundians you have something strong to go for in IMP that isn’t Early Imp Paladin. In general it’s so annoying as Burgundians that you have so many interesting unit options to go for (Flemish Militia, Coustilliers, buffed Gunpowder), but it’s all trash in comparison to your Knight play.

5 Likes

We could use that UU somewhere else if thats the problem

The main drawback of this tech is turning all your villagers. It would be better to add a “to arms !” button to existing villagers (not to the ones created after the tech), pressing it turns them into flemish militia, instead of turning them all at once.

2 Likes

I’d scrap the Villager conversion and keep training Flemish Militia from the TC, with an appropriate price adjustment of course. A Swordsman-resistant, anti-Cavalry unit with a fast creation time from a high value target building sounds like it’s a strong and interesting tech already.

4 Likes

I fit somewhere between the Great Tech and Just part of the game options. I really like the idea of a revolution and kind of how it works, but I feel like maybe if it only converted your non-farmers or something it could be better. That way it works well with Burgundian Vineyards, allows for better rebooming, but still captures the kind of cool revolution element to it. Just enabling the unit doesn’t seem like a revolution to me, which would be kind of boring. I think it would be really nice if it automatically spread the new militia over a few free control groups to make selecting them easier though.

1 Like

It’s actually interesting that so many people voted for “it’s a great tech.” I wonder what they like on the tech.
Is it just the fact to close an already won game? Or is there more to it?

Anyone that ticked that box is a casual that’s your explanation

3 Likes

or it makes them win more

1 Like

What if after a x time Flemish militias turn back into vils, but while revolution is happening you can`t train more vils. This way, you have a gap of time to attack or repel an attack, same for your oponent. It is strong, but is not so match ending because if the attack doesn’t work you can retreat your militia and reboom from there

I think one solution would be to make it that one-time effect. Once researched you can’t make vills anymore. Period.
That would also solve the issue with the tech, but make it possibly also very, very situational.

So like how the revolutions used to be in AOE 3? no
Revolutions in AOE 3 DE were reworked to allow players to still train settlers after a homecity card to not wipe out the whole eco, thus making it more useful. If you make the tech the way you suggest then is even worse than currently is.

1 Like

Agree, specially if they buffed their training speed together some adjustments

Can someone please explain me what happend in the NAC4 Finals?

Someone won using this strat. It seems that with siege and TCs behind it, its hard to get punished hard for it. There’s no logical counter play to it, because you can make “army” that costs 50f, pays back for itself, trains in 25s, and it gets instantly converted into something with champion like stats.

One way to nerf it? You can’t train vills after it.

1 Like

it wasn’t just the finals. the tech was used 4 times, each time the burgundian player won
Villese v Viper on Fortified Clearing
Liereyy v Hera on Hippo Arena (group stage)
Hera v Liereyy on Hippo Arena (final)
can’t recall the 4th time. Villese, Hera and Liereyy each said that the tech shouldnt exist

I like the following idea for a change (not mine): make the tech cheaper and remove the effect that it turns all vils into flemish militia. ie it now only enables recruitment of flemish militia at TCs (maybe change their cost slightly). Burgundians are really strong in imp anyway

2 Likes

this just makes it even more of an all in. that’s what people dislike about the tech already

4 Likes

The tech effect is just bad design in the sense that it’s either utterly useless or complete OP.

Sure, one could try to tweak it by adjusting unit stats or increasing the research time of the tech… but what for? Does anyone actually has fun playing this and/or against it?
Better removing it entirely, together first first crusade and all other one-time research effects.

Even the flemish militia unit itself is actually not needed, and a bit weird stat-wise anyway: Why is a farmer recently taught to fight in a two-weeks crash course nearly as effective as a professional soldier (Champion)? :smiley: Doesn’t make much sense to me.

4 Likes

imo FM should be available at soon Burgundians hit imp, and FR should make the unit available in barracks, tho the unit itself should probably be nerfed a bit and turned into trash, something like a halb with more armor.

1 Like