[Poll](Updated) Which civs would you like to see in the game? (All popularly requested civs included)

I think European civs would still be very interesting, I know that there are already a lot of EU civs, but I think that is mainly due to European dominance in the history.
For example, I would think the Dutch would be a very good addition with a nice post imp campaign containing the race to the new world or for example the battles on the European continent between the Dutch and Britons/Spanish/French.

2 Likes

Europeans were prime developers of Military and Transportation technologies, which secured our place in History.

1 Like

Yeah, that is why I think that EU isnā€™t really over represented. It is more or less historically accurate I think.

2 Likes

This game is not just about Colonial Period.

If you read history you will realise that at different periods there were different centers of power.

Until the enlightenment era Asians always dominated the Trade and Military power.

Europeans got lucky to get Americas for free (Iberian peninsula is the closest route to America and Small Pox epidemic that caused the death of 90% of Native Americans) where they could expoit the natural resources as much as they wanted which skyrocketed their development in colonial era.

Asia is far more diverse and populated than Europe.

4 Likes

Even in the Middle Ages and before. Scimitars, Two-Handers, Pikes, Halberds, Longswords, Chainmail, Vambraces, Tower Shields, Bodkin Arrowsā€¦ All European inventions that spread around the world.

1 Like

Iron Smelting itself is invented in India (somewhere in Andhra)

Gunpowder is invented in China

5 Likes

You are definitely heavily biased. Read history from a neutral perspective.

7 Likes

Chinese Naval Technologies were 100 years ahead of Europeans,they could have easily crossed the Pacific Ocean!! but they didnā€™t and rather chose to circle in the Indian Ocean only.

5 Likes

Asians were already far more rich in medieval era. Ottomans had bloked the European access to Indian and Chinese markets, also the famines had hit Europe rather badly which forced them to to start the age of exploration.

5 Likes

Iron Smelting was not invented in India. The oldest iron artifact to date comes from Anatolia.

Even if it was, it still does not dismiss european innovation. Europeans were constantly at war, which means we overdeveloped both tactics, strategy and technology for warfare.

We also adopted foreing tools for war, but still developed ours to an insane degree, in comparison.

China had gunpowder for a log time before Europe got a hold of it, and it was still an exotic weapon to them. As soon as it hit Europe, they revolutionized the battlefield and were developed beyond compare.

Crossbows were also like invented in China, but were much more developed in Europe.

Which is why they did not develop as fast, after they became prosperous. Abundance breeds stagnation.

Which drove Europe to become an even greater technological powerhouse.

4 Likes

And who broke the Byzantine Walls with Cannons?

2 Likes

And what happened later when they faced Caravels in the Indian Ocean?

Necessity and strife breed innovation.

Not to mention taht the first attempt at it, by the Arabs, was destroyed by an innovative weapon too: Greek Fire.

1 Like

Why were the Europeans trying find routes to trade with Indians?

2 Likes

Because we needed Asian goods such as spices and silk.

1 Like

Flame thrower ships were used by Chinese and Tamils too and neither were taken from Greece afaik.

3 Likes

But not Greek Fire, which actually burned even when in contact with water.

1 Like

There is no point in arguing with a biased guy.
Read history from a neutral perspective. Thatā€™s all I can say.

Europeans have tried to erase a lot of things from history. Including the evidences of the huge city in the Great Zimbabwe.

5 Likes

I do. I am not being biased at all.

All I said is that Europe was a hotbed of Military and Transportation technology.
You turned it into a contest, not me.

1 Like

In colonial age not before that.

There have been different centers of power in different periods of history.

You cannot generalize that one is always the only innovator.

3 Likes

Even before.

Europe was always known for military and transportation.
Macedonian Phalanxes, Roman Legions, the Roman Via (road system, which is where you get the ā€œall roads lead to Romeā€ popular proverb), Galleys, Triremes, Cogs, full body Chainmail, Pikesā€¦

1 Like