Portuguese Buff not enough by far (land)

To be fair, with a sub 1% playrate for both portuguese in general, and the low play rates of those maps,how many times you think they’ve seen the maps? I’m gonna guess not enough to give a real representation.

3 Likes

Free ballistics with discounted archers could be OP, but i would give it a try.

Although i wouldnt like to lose the 20% gold cheaper militia for drushing…

Another possible buff is to buff the accuracy of HC, so arquebus is more noticeable

Apparently, Arquebus is not actually working as intended, from what I heard.

Buffing hc accuracy will not likely influence Portugal much because they have FU arabalest already with are better anyway

2 Likes

It will help make them viable all around, though.

And it would definitely help Ports HCs at actually being good, even if only against Infantry.

Why not just arbalests?

1 Like

Vaaaaat? This is huge knowledge. Please, devs, fix arquebus

1 Like

Because the GC have hussar meatshield and it’d be a bad fight for you?

2 Likes

Hussars counter Arbalests cost-effectively.
A Food costing unit facing off a Wood and Gold costing unit in the Imperial Age, is a good trade even if the Hussars lose, because they are fast enough to get guaranteed damage.

The problem was any meat shield I tried got shreeded by gc and the hussar were easily replaceable for him with decent hp and pushed onto my archers as soon as my meele units were killed.

I should have went organ guns but didn’t have the castles for it since I went cavalier,+arbs at first

Really? Even Portuguese arbs?
Infantry + arbs seem stronger that hussars + GC. GCs have no bonus vs Infantry. Halabs should hit quite heavily the hussars, and arbs should kill the GCs. Also in this condition GCs are not replaced since the TT makes them unplayable. I would replace them with arbs which are just superior.

Clearly it also depends on the micro and on the numbers involved, but arbs with pikes destroy hussars, and GCs have no special advantages vs both pikes and arbs (I mean, they beat pikes worse than arbs, and they have less range, higher cost, and are impossible to mass with respect to arbs)…

Yes, trading Food for Gold is always a good trade.
Feitorias cannot protect a Ports player from bad trades for long.

This is just not true. Get more Castles, and stop making them if the opponent is not making Cavalry.
GCs are not supposed to be a core unit of the Italians army, they are supposed to completely destroy Cavalry, which they do very cost-effectively.
If the opponent is not going for Cavalry, then just replace the GCs with Arbalests and HCs, both of which the Italians have better than the Ports.

They still dunk on Pikes pretty hard, like all Ranged units.

Ports halbs are slow. They can’t threaten the gc at all. The italians hussars on the other hand can easily run and damage my archer at any opening. They are also quite tanky with so much hp, while the halbs die so fas to the gc.

I don’t think arabalest + halbs is a good answer, but surely micro and how it plays out can change everything. I play DM and fast speed so I mostly just patrol stuff in and focus on macro…

2 Likes

Yes arbs alone lose, but portos could go for arbs (supplemented but ESkirms if necessary) + halbs (they lack squires but they are viable after all) and a combo of hussars + GC couldn’t do anything.

Well, I can even stop training GC when the enemy stop training knights, but in the meantime I spended a lot of time on building castles.

Also, by the time I builded that many castles I was probably already overwhelmed by enemy cavalry.

But like any other units (especially archers), they need to reach a minimum number, that is their problem. I’m saying that GC should be the unit that GC always train.

They do fine, but they lack a bonus vs pikes, that almost all ranged units have.

They need to deal with hussars, not the GC, and hussars can outrun any halbs (except lithuanians maybe…).

I would give Portuguese Free Ballistics.

It sounds OP since every player know how important Ballistics is. But honestly that is just saving Ressource and first few minutes time in castle age.
Most of the civ have their OP tech, so I don’t scared about making Portuguese OP with free Ballistics.

Ports do not need anything else, though.

Arquebus fix? (In case it is broken)

2 Likes

and only give matchlock to gunpowder civs as well (Turks, Italians, Portuguese, Indians)

1 Like

Italians and Indians do not need it, Ports may not need it too, if Arquebus gets fixed.

Turks and Goths would definitely need it, though, and a few other civs with HCs.