Prevention of "Quickwalling"

That it wasnt a nerf.

Youve just admitted you have to wall earlier and that you cant judt wall in villagers and build a building. Both clearly nerfs.

I didnt make it personal. You did

Its such a change you can’t say its a nerf its totally a different mechanic.

And gameplay will adapt to this. and its my opinion that it will be much more pleasing to me.

as will look more believable to me.

How did I make it personal?

Okay lets spell it out then

If im walling do i have to wall earlier or can i wall as i do now with no impact? If i have to wall earlier then it’s clearly
A nerf. If walling at the same time is negatively impacted its obviously a nerf

Well it is different things in different situations?
How do you see it as a nerf?

By lieing. Quick walling is negatively impacted. That means its nerfed. You told me its not a nerf and yet it is. You are being dishonest and tryih to hide qn obvious nerf behind calling it a “change”.

Now we are talking

this is how you see it as a nerf.
so it is a nerf to quickwalling as should be this is the point of this topic :slight_smile: GJ bro

Can people quick wall just as effectively post change?
No.
Can people build forward buildings as effectively post change?
No.
Even if they brought an army to defend BEFORE YOUR CHANGE, THEY HAVE TO DEFEND MORE AREA.
Thus nerf.

So you just admitted your entire goal is a nerf.
And yet earlier you called it not a nerf.
Thanks for proving my point.

Its not just quick walling.

I go to build a forward building before.
I small wall my villagers and have some troops nearvy to defend.
I go to build a forward building after.
My army now has to cover even more territory. Thus a nerf to more then quick walling

the point of topic

side effect which I like

So you admit you lied when you said this isnt a nerf. Thanks.

2 Likes

Wat the hell man
 i would call it PREVENTION couse quickwalling wouldnt EXIST ANYMORE not a nerf
 i missspelled there ffs! read teh topic again!

Its not just quickwalling thats impacting. Walling period is nerfed, forwards are nerfed. And yet earlier you said it wasnt a nerf.

whatever man, its a prevention of quickwalling and it has some interesting minor side effects which could be balanced by some AOE DE 2 in depth ppl like yourself easily if you would desire a change. gtg cya!

And how is outright removal of quickwalling NOT A NERF anyway? No logic.

And this is what i dont like.

You want what you want, consequences be damned, someone else can figure it out and make if balanced.

No. YOU want this change. YOU want this to happen. YOU should be the one figuring out how to balance it, so you can show it can be done and be done without impacting other aspects of the game. Prove its fair and balanced and a good change. Thats on you.

1 Like

OK hear me out its just an idea to be tested.
knights (+10s) scouts (+5s) and archers (+5s (for game balance)) should have longer training times. It would be harder to mass them early from 1 stable and would give opponent to wall just enough more time.
as for forward buildings i really like the high risk /high reward situation.

i have an idea :
Walls and gates : don’t block until 50% is done
other buildings : block at the start, but you only recover 50% of the price when cancelled, if you started building and something hit it

That way, you still can invest to quickwall, but it will have a cost.
And quickwall with palissades will have to be anticipated.

I wouldn’t mind a mechanic to prevent quick-walling.

I’d just lower the armor of foundations so that a single villager is not able to “out-construct” an attacking unit, even if it’s just a single militia. Alternatively a nonlinear increase in HP as suggested above. At least for palisade walls, palisade gates and houses. All other buildings are a rather large investment, so probably not worth to mess around with them

Out-repairing, once the building is up, should stay as it is though.

2 Likes

It might lead to an interesting game.
Probably a game with almost no forward castle drops, and no panic defensive castles. Possibly something a little slower.
Very different from what we have now.

I don’t think it’d be a bad game per se, but changing AOE2 that much is probably a bad idea.

2 Likes

For your own/allied units, yes. Enemy units no - they won’t let you place the foundation. If you’re attacking units and then somehow a foundation is bumped to a threshold to move all units off the foundation, with the speed they move it’ll be very clunky and awkward. It’s better as is now.

That sounds incredibly contrived and unsuitable for the game. You can do that against Easiest AI where you have time (especially around hills to make sure your’e walled!) but not in any real game. Besides, your logic would mean villagers could build from one tile away, as they won’t be walled with the foundation. Needless change and a major nerf.

If 15 unguarded vills manage to get a castle up in your face, it’s your problem lmao. Skill issue, or whatever the kids say.

This isn’t even about quickwalling anyway. That’s not what quickwalling means. If your enemy with completely unprotected villagers and not walling in the villagers manages to get a castle up by quickwalling as your units reach them, it’s your problem. Quickwalling usually simply means placing down foundations/gates around your resources, or a villager quickly building 4 tiles around themselves to save them against a scout, for example.

You’d want the armor to be at like -25s or whatever? A single militia should not be able to break into your base like that lmfao. I just think those mechanics needlessly complicate an already balanced aspect of the game.

If the argument is realism, one boy with a club should not be able to break through a foundation of bricks and logs.

2 Likes