Problems with saving Multiplayer Games

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 100.12.1529.0
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

Note: this is on casual multiplayer, not ranked.

Saving during multiplayer games is a very welcome feature, but it’s currently either bugged or very badly implemented. I’m going to lean towards bugged.

At this moment, when you try to save a multiplayer game, you are presented with 3 choices: 1) Continue 2) Save and Exit 3) Cancel (The “No Vote” option does nothing and you are forced into choosing any of the other 3)

Now, here’s the issue. The option #1 and #3 are exactly the same. Both “Continue” and “Cancel” actually mean “Cancel”. The only option that does save the game, is option #2, but in doing so, also forces all players out of the game.

So, as I mentioned earlier, either this is bugged and option #1 is actually meant to save the game and keep everyone playing… or this hasn’t been well designed. Being aware of the multiple performance and connectivity issues around the game, and having no option to reconnect to it, it’s only normal for us to want to hit the save button every few minutes, so if someone crashes or drops, then we can continue playing.

But currently our only option is to actually save and then being force-dropped from the game, and we end up having to host the game again, and then there’s the issue of save file desyncs so the host has the share his file to everyone else, which takes a while. There’s no way this is intended.

Thanks for your time!

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST.

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Host a multiplayer game with at least one other person
  2. Try to save the game
  3. The only option that will let you do so, is “Save and Exit”, forcing you to exit the game. The “Continue” option works exactly the same as the “Cancel” option.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:question: What was supposed to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

The “Continue” option should save the game and keep everyone playing.

:arrow_forward: ACTUAL RESULT

:question: What actually happened (what went wrong) because of the issue you’re reporting?

The “Continue” option cancels the vote, as if you had chosen “Cancel”.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue.

• Not needed

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

5 Likes

Same issue. Please look into this.

2 Likes

Yeah. It should be save and continue. Saving and restarting a game is such a pain now.

2 Likes

Hi Mate. I have the same issue, but when i save and continue it does not ask me to name the save and when i look for the saved game it is not in my saved games folder? Is there some bug that saves the multiplayer game in a black hole?

1 Like

Continue does not save the game at all. Only Save and exit does.

I’m leaning towards very badly implemented.
It would be a great improvement to just drop this entire dialog and literally save the game when a player clicks Save in the menu. That’s it. Super simple, and so much more useful. That’s how I implemented it in the ESOC Patch for legacy AoE3.

2 Likes

That sounds awesome. I hope they can look into this!