Proposal balance change for August patch

look at the cost investment.
camel is much cheaper.

okay, so let me ask you this then, if Elephants were so easily countered, why would people even make them?
what would the point be of having them in game?

also it should be pointed out that the Paladin Costs 60 food and 75 gold, whereas the plumed archer cost 40 wood and 40 gold. so you invested 50% more food/wood and nearly DOUBLE the gold to kill it.
to put that in perspective, the same contribution to killing an Elephant would be 180 food and nearly 140 gold. so your “comparison” is a bit off.
An equal comparison would be 3 Camels for each Elephant. Which would absolutely shred them.

1 Like

if the handcannonier would be a counter to battle elefants you would see a khmer player (for the first time) switch to something else like scorpions or cavalier.

it is the same when i switch from eagles to archers when my enemy does champtions. in the current version a khmer player doesnt need to fear any counter to his battle elefants than halbs

and battle elefants would still be usefull against archers, champtions, siege and paladins.

they would be specially usefull when the enemy has no access to handcannons. in the curremt game khmer battle elefants have nothing to fear than halbs

That’s the problem. Everyone says “elephants” when they mean “khmer elephants”. Burmese and viets elephants are virtually useless. When was the last time you saw a burmese pocket and say “wow, that’s op?”

and you’d never see Elephants used again, because something so expensive, is so cheaply killed.

he fears camels too.

tell me, what good options does Khmer have, beyond Battle Elephants?
Scorpions are easily countered with cavalry.
their infantry lack both the final armor upgrade and squires.
their archers lack thumbring
Cavaliers would be absolutely shredded by the same counters that BE have, and far more easily.

a frank paladin can also kill 4 plump archers so i would say that a frank paladin is a counter to plump archers or do we have to argue about that ?

your calculation is a bit weird. you say that 3 camals are equal in ressoruces to 1 battle elefant and so 3 camals would beat 1 battle elefant therefore battleelefants would get countered by camels, but 3 camals cost 165 food and 180 gold and 1 battle elefant costs 120 food and 70 gold.

it is not true that khmer have no other good unit than battle elefants. they just dont use there other option because the battle elefant has no clear counter and is not even a slow unit

plumes also aren’t supposed to kill Paladins. that’s why they have such low attack. they are anti infantry units.

no.
you said “Camels only barely kill Elephants, they don’t do nearly as well as a paladin does against a plume”. the Paladin costs MORE then the Plume, so it MAKES SENSE That if you are investing more, you get a much more drastic return on your investment.
whereas a Camel Costs MUCH LESS then an Elephant, so the return isn’t coming from Camels wrecking Elephants. its from how much less they cost.

they have cavalry. that’s it.
there archers suck. they have no thumb ring at all.
scorpions are easily cleaned up by basic cavalry units.
Battle Elephants and Cavaliers are easily cleaned up by anything that counters the Battle Elephant.
there infantry lacks the final armor upgrade and squires.

so. tell me. what do they have? Cavalry units. that’s it. and the best option they had just got nerfed.

I think with this change the devs wanted to nerf Khmer Elephants mainly.

I think its a huge nerf to Vietnamese and Burmese:

• Chatras should give 80 hitpoints
  • Howdah should give 2 pierce armor
4 Likes

Howdaw gave +2pa originally, but was nerfed because was to OP. I propose more blast radious and more trample damage to burmese elephants. I agree with buffing Chatras

1 Like

The main problem with Burmese is that they are terrible against ranged units and Arambais are not op anymore

They miss Paladins (=they miss mobility to counter Arbs), everything is a leitis against their skirmishers, siege rams and siege onagers

2 Likes

Well, I think we should first test and see the last changes, in particular for koreans and portos, we have to see if the buff to their already existing bonus alone are enough. If they aren’t (or if they are OP) maybe we will have to consider more and/or different buff/nerf.

For italians, the condos buff is much appricieted, but it’s far from enough, the GC still takes too much to be trained, and their standard archers too could use some minor buff (+1PA, free archer armor ecc
).

Bizzantine cost reduction in food for the catas upgrades is much appriecieted, and I think they are fine now.

Some people also want some buff for turks, especially to compensate a bit their weakness vs archers, still it shouldn’t be someting too crazy, just some minor tweaks (like sipahi affecting light cav).

Lastly, maybe etiopians need some minor buff, maybe a small gradual increase on the free resources that they receive when aging up.

1 Like

we still dont have a change to play turks :frowning:

great Idea.

I am very biased on balancing the weak civs. The devs have listened for Koreans and Portuguese which now sound finally decent.

The weak civs remain italians and turks imo. I do not know why no turk buff and condo buff does not help Italians where they need.

1 Like

yeah agree, i could be wrong, but others have also mentioned, their late game seems to be lacking.

they have awful camels, they dont have any late game sustainable eco bonus

1 Like

Lacking late game? They have one of the strongest siege deathball available, and who cares about camels when your pikes upgrade themselves?

2 Likes

New patch in the next week? :blush: :blush: :blush:

1 Like

Ill remember that the next time someone runs circles around eth pikes. Or blats them with CA. “at least they upgraded themselves”

free halb upgrade would be nice. But as I said already
 Its their eco thats lacking. I’ve said it 92 times already. Imo the meta is eco. All the top tier civs have great eco bonuses. Or in mongols case, an amazing UU that makes up for an eco.

Mayan, aztec, viking, frank, mongol, hun, briton, celt. Amazing ecos, and amazing units(map dependent) . Eth can make a death ball but siege, and actually most of their army is still fragile AF.

There might be worse ecos, but eth doesn’t have close to the best.

Buff the F-tier crap Shotel Warriors -15G +10F

Royal Heirs -200G

1 Like

Well, aren’t most civs doing just fine without camels at all anyway?

Ethiopian aren’t bad at all. They aren’t the kind of civs that you would see in mirror matches in settings like HC3, but you can’t really call a civ win if you lose with them. Regarding their eco, at least it comes early which is always handy.

Halb+SO is a really good combo since both units cover each other well, and unlike Celts they get BBC to kill enemy onagers. Also having a military bonus on archers is always good.

In the end there is always going to be a top, a bottom and a middle in between. I think making the bottom closer to the top is more important than shuffling the middle and the top. I guess it could be doable once balance changes feel stale, but I feel like there is still quite some room before it happens.

If threads titled “Help, my eco got eaten by crazy scythe men super fast” start popping everywhere it won’t be my fault 11

2 Likes