Random thought: robber baron and industrial revolution

I want to see Lakota get a Buffalo Pound. And Asians obviously have wonders that can be adjusted to get something comparable to Factories.

1 Like

To be honest with y’all, I want to see rebuildable factories and wonders. High cost, sure. Like 5000 wood high, sure. But rebuildable.

3 Likes

Differentiating them like you mentioned could really add some flavor to how each civ approaches the industrial age.For Robber Barons, adding a cost but making that first factory upgrade free is a solid idea it fits the theme of quick, early power with some investment. Maybe you could take it a step further and make it so that it also slightly increases the output of certain resources, like coal or steel, which ties into that whole capitalist, resource-exploit vibe.Industrial Revolution could focus more on the long game, so yeah, giving it a higher cost but boosting all the factory work rate upgrades makes sense. Maybe it could also unlock a unique tech that gives a late-game bonus, like increased production speed or even an ability to temporarily boost factory output in exchange for some resource.And for the British, I dig the idea of giving them a unique twist. An aura that boosts nearby factories’ output or even makes them generate a small trickle of resources over time would reflect their industrial dominance. Maybe even have it so that their factories are slightly cheaper to build or upgrade, giving them a clear advantage in industrializing faster than other civs. That would definitely make them feel distinct while staying true to their historical role.

Explain to me like I’m 6 years old why this is different or better from shipping a factory for free and paying for an upgrade.

because you will need to pay the cost earlier so it’s worse^^

I’d like both of these cards to be available upon reaching industrial like how it is with the usa and that frees up 2 card slots. Civs with no factory would also need 2 extra slots to balance it. This would create more strategic diversity given that these cards are included in every single deck.

1 Like

which is why I can’t believe there’s a discussion about buffing them.

1 Like

Yeah they don’t need buffs at all, there are plenty of cards that actually do need buffing. All cards should be useable at least in certain niche circumstances and unfortunately many just aren’t ever good.

This is a great opportunity to nerf factories. Normally when there’s a duplicate card, one version is worse. If you want to send cossacks twice, the first may be 5 but the second will be 4. The same should be true of factories, the second factory should be worse than the first in some way.

2 Likes

you get robbed by the robber baron and have to pay extra 500c

7 Likes

You’re making our “NO YOU JUST WANT TO BUFF EUROPEANS” buddies embarrassed.

Nevermind they should have understood that by reading the OP alone.

1 Like

Call us whatever you want but Europeans are the ones that have got most buffs and “flavour” with no consequences despite being among the strongest at most stages of the match. They got (but not restricted to):

• Default allies at embassies/mercs
  • Imperial mercs
  • XP/Coin trickle at church/tavern
  • Unique stats for explorers and royal units
  • Usefull cards and new units (Landwehr, Battleship, Ranger…)
  • Their culverins got bonus vs siege troops, nobody else artillery got it while euros were the ones less affected by this tag.
  • Upgraded Revolutions
  • Ottomans

And so on. It is time for everyonelse to get some love

maybe make it like the Mexican version, one costs resources, but arrives fast and gives factories more hp and the second one just costs like 500c without any other benefit, that would delay their deployment by quite a bit while giving a little extra for the cost involved?

Plot twist: at least mentioned three times by myself and others in this post alone (including the very post you replied to and the very post that post is replying to), this could well become a NERF by adding a HIGH COST to one of the factory cards.

What did I say?

1 Like

Why even have cards that researches techs instantly? Either it should be a tech or a card. Cards should give buff or debuff on top of the techs. I would not like if Royal Mint card just researched amalgamation and first estate tech. If at all you want to make a novel idea for a factory card, researching the techs is the most boring way possible. Maybe new card could be, increases the factory output by 100% but now civilians around them are harmed due to pollution so they lose hp slowly, and all mills and estate nearby have their output halved.

My thought is based on two considerations:

1. If you add a cost to it, the card value should raise accordingly.
  2. Most of us would agree adding on top of the maximum eco of Europeans is dangerous. So it can’t be an additional bonus.

Or if you hate “granting techs” so much, just change it to “first (few) tech(s)” are free like in British logistician or US arsenal/market cards.

those cards have all techs free for USA - Dutch is the market with only age1 techs free.

You still need to research them and it takes time (US arsenal even more time).

I think the complaint was granting them for free immediately like shadowtechs do.

EDIT: sorry I was thinking of arsenal only, not market.

1 Like