Ranked multiplayer DE - Why can't we pick a map?

I don’t understand why we can’t have ranked mode where you pick a map type? I have gone back to HD because I want to play ranked with specific maps. I love DE but as long as I can’t play what I want, I will not be playing it. The point of playing ranked is you can make sure you are playing with people at your level. When I host a lobby in DE there is no way to balance as you have no idea of anyone’s level. Needs to be fixed, or I will be sticking to HD.

13 Likes

Beats me!

2 Likes

But you can play any map you want. You just host a game and wait for people to join.
I understand there are some issues with that at the moment.

Match making and hosting on voobly are quite different things. If you start to add to many variables to the match making system it will either take to long to find a game or just be very unstable in general which in turn will end up matching you with players that are either much less experienced than yourself or much more experienced. Which would not be very fun.

Depending on the amount of players they might find it safe to add more functions in the future, but i would much rather have a stable system with less options than a system that just not works at all.

9 Likes

I second this, as much as some of the maps are inferior balance/entertainment wise to others, removing them from the pool will make finding a balance between available, equal skilled players and queue times that much more difficult.

I believe the Devs wanted to make the ranked score as much skill based as posible. Playing what map you want in ranked is cool but also allows players to only play one map type and specialize. Like is now your skill has to be good and the same on any map, it’s very hard to specialize on all the maps in the map pool. Yes, the map pool si not the best but will probably get changed in the future.

2 Likes

Because the devs thought that forcing the players to play maps that literally nobody touches except the random 15xx hd plays would be a good idea. When most people just spam 1v1 arabia in the lobby browser in both voobly and HD, its alright to add in the rlm pool since some people including me like the rlm. But being the arena clown i was back in the day. I wish they could actually let you choose what maps to play.

I wish they went with zero empire suggestion instead of acting like they dont know what the community plays lmao

5 Likes

Adding arena or nomad (only for 3v3 4v4) in the map pool is fine for me. Having ability to choose map is not fine since people will only play one map and the ELO is not reflecting real skill any more.

Honestly if they fix the lobby system and display ranked ELO/match history in normal lobby, then I think people will be happy to play special map there.

I cant speak for everyone, i have no idea what everyone prefer unlike you it seems.
But personally, i prefer a variation of maps. I am really happy with playing different maps, and i would love if they added more.

1: A variation of maps promotes a variation of tactics.
2: A Variation of maps is harder to play because it demands you to adapt and learn.
3: Playing the same map over and over is very boring in my oppinion.
4: It makes the rating seem a bit more “True” if you want. I mean, if i could only play 1 map i would not really consider my rating for anything. But thats just me.

EDIT: if you alt + f4 on all the maps you dont like / cant play. You lose rating, which probaly gets you closer to you’re skill rating since you can only play 1 map. In theory.

2 Likes

The rating is always true if you play the same map every time isn’t it? :rofl:

Yeah sure, he will be a good 1 trick pony.

I do not mind people prefer 1 map only. But that is why i am hoping they will add a public skill rating separated from the match making so people can compete on the maps they want to in custom games.

Hear, hear! And optional speed too. I can’t play normal speed…too slow. Maybe there needs to be different “weight divisions” for rankings (e.g. 2k+ on normal vs 2k+ on fast, etc). With the ability to queue units & techs, there’s no reason to keep me in the stone age with the speed. Please and thank you!

Considering that like 80% the games played by the user base are on 3 maps not in the pool, it seems like they’re begging people to stick with Voobly. If the insane majority of games played are BF, Arabia, Green Arabia, and Arena and only 1 of those games are currently offered and you can’t really create your own game (let alone balance it) players won’t stick with DE.

How can that not be insanely disappointing to a fan?

4 Likes

i get that… but that is not what we are talking about. We are talking about being able to que up for a desired map only.

I allso stated earlier i would love to have more maps added.

1 Like

The current maps look fine to me. I don’t mind replacing some maps in the pool or fix the scripts of some existing maps to make them more fun to play. Anyway…the time people play only one map is over.

I even hope the dev team add 1~2 sea maps in the pool. Maybe Mediterranean or Migration? Or some maps from tournaments or community.

And I believe there must be a team collecting the data of ranked match to better balance this game. If everyone stick to play Arabia, it will be difficult to make this game better.

So… be used to it, or maybe stay at voobly?

1 Like

“So… be use to it, or maybe stay at voobly?”

Well, it’s not quite that simple. Game is made for gamers, and if most of them want to have option to play ranked in their desired map I see no reason for devs not to allow it. For publisher view point, the one that buys payroll for the devs, it does matter a lot whether player base moves to DE or stay with their old game.

While they neglected their fans back in the day the community grew and made its own ranked system and metas, they can’t just try and enforce another ranked system totally different from what the community plays and expect them to accept it. Either they work with the community or else someone will eventually get DE to work with voobly and we’ll again have our own community separated from the actual devs like before. If they want a serious ranked system, then they should listen to the pros.

here’s the video from ZeroEmpires that SmilyCard23 mentioned

3 Likes

You should read all previous post’s. Because it has been mentioned before that it is not that simple.

You cant just add a option to select the map you want.

Match making and hosting on voobly are quite different things. If you start to add to many variables to the match making system it will either take to long to find a game or just be very unstable in general which in turn will end up matching you with players that are either much less experienced than yourself or much more experienced. Which would not be very fun.

Depending on the amount of players they might find it safe to add more functions in the future, but i would much rather have a stable system with less options than a system that just not works at all.

Quoted myself here. But others have said it aswell, i think there are like 10 other threads about this allready.

Match making should reflect the competitive scene. If it fails to do that it’s worse than nothing.

3 Likes

Look I understand the points of doing something like this, but why not give the option? Why not allow people to make the choice for ranked? Some people like the random maps, some people don’t. Some people prefer to host a lobby that forces users to be random and not pick a civ or play at a different speed. These are all things you can’t do and that we have been doing for the last 20 years. Changing it now just forces those wanting the freedom to stick to Voobly or HD which is exactly what I will do until it is changed. The option of unranked to pick what you want does not allow for a balanced game. I have hosted numerous lobbies and not a single game was fair or fun.

I really enjoy the new platform, updates and graphics, but I can’t play what I want and to me, DE is not worth playing if I can’t make the choice.

2 Likes

I actually like the new ranking mode (but I’m not a good player), but one or two otions for the user could be a good thing. Like maybe 1,2 map bans for each player or something else.