Realistic overhaul mod (Age of Noob video)

Another great @AgeofNoob3936 video, this time covering some of the most requested/controversial features discussed here: better units scale and arrows and how now they are working on them to be incorporated to the game as a mod(realistic overhaul: made by Gabriel). First, personally, as someone who have been requesting better proportions and better arrows here since from the game release , I am very happy to see such a mod and will certainly going to give a try when the new update gets released and the mod finished(basically reopen the game after months). I am actually surprised on how good the modding tool is and how fast they were able to achieve such a thing and that makes me optimistic for future mods. Returning to the arrow mod, we know that the game would need to be rebalanced because of the impact of the implementation, a real challenge for the modders, but I think sometime in the future it will be playable. If such time comes, I think it would be a great opportunity to attract more players by incorporating it to the main game, because the mod has the potential, as mentioned by @AgeofNoob3936, to attract players that have played aoe2 like us and would like to see these things in the main game.
I know it’s too early to discuss such thing, but trying to anticipate the future, and knowing that this is a two edged sword feature that would probably produce a lot of resistance by the ‘hooming arrow enjoyers’, that can be majority or not, I think the best way to do this incorporation would be with the creation of alternative game mode just like we have Empire wars in AOE2 , this way , in this hypothetical future, both playerbases would be satisfied and could also have competitions for both game modes.
Realistically, with these thoughts, I know I am probably just being delusional and/or giving impracticable decisions. So, I would like your opinion, what do you think about the mod and do you think it can contribute to the main game or attract more people?

10 Likes

Highly appreciate the work on missing arrows. In my opinion with missing arrows the gameplay would become much more dynamic. This could also be extended on buildings like towncenters, towers and castles. I think that this is mainly a feature that attracts the more experienced player base as that’s usually players that have higher APM and are used to putting lots of effort into micro. Having a reward for those efforts would be great.

3 Likes

Agreed. I ve played almost 100 hours, watched a lot of tourneys and streams, but I still can’t get used to the machine guns arrows fired by buildings.

2 Likes

This is a proof that the game is not made for the age of empires fans, this game is made for 100 pro guys that want readability over fun and logic…

6 Likes

He is talking about the current game, not the mod, I think.

as the developers mentioned, the game is based on making decisions like a general" not to dance on the field. Since you are going to dance, while managing the economy and planning a plan, you can’t, that only limits the macro of the game

3 Likes

I’m happy that this mod can exist for those that want it but I doubt I’d enjoy playing with archers with 10% accuracy.

3 Likes

Doesn’t really limit the macro of the game for those who can handle it all at the same time. Very good players are able to do so anyways. So in my opinion it is a great option especially for the competitive scene. And since it is intended to be a mod you can easily play without missing arrows if you wish so.

1 Like

I think without rebalancing the whole game, there is no sense to make archers anymore. And some civ will lost his feudal rush. Btw it’s a mod. it’s ok for who prefer play in this way

if you can dodge arrows, they would need a buff otherwise they are pretty useless

5 Likes

adding extra micro doesn’t limit the macro at all. Its already there, just better players will be able to switch between them properly.

I think the point is that ordering your men to run back and forth to dodge arrows sounds absurd and does not make you feel like a general. In theory the poor accuracy of arrows is already simulated in the game by arrows low damage, block chance and armour.

5 Likes

Perfectly agree. From graphic style to gameplay itself without immersion, It seems a game more oriented to E-sport. But recent stata show that’s probably be a mistake.

The numbers have dropped more than normal not because it is oriented to E-Sports, but because the game was not complete.

1 Like

While I personally prefer missing arrows than homing ones myself, splitting an already small playerbase wouldn’t do the game any favors in my opinion. If the majority prefer homing, we stick with it. If it’s the opposite, then we change. But the base game/core mechanics should remain the same for everyone, and, judging by some of the comments I’ve read so far, it seems like the folks who prefer homing outnumber those who don’t.

Could be a case of a loud minority commenting, but I doubt that it’s the case. Regardless, even if the missing arrow mechanic doesn’t get implemented, I still prefer having the arrows smaller and follow a better arc, as they aesthetically look better than the current arrows in the game. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I assume most of the players who enjoy arrows missing have already moved onto other games and those who enjoy the existing mechanics are the ones who remain.

2 Likes

Fair point, sir. I really would like that eventually it could be at least implemented as an option to be used at the single player part of the game, both scale and arrows, but I know it’s a unlikely thing to happen. About the division of the playerbase, it would really be a problem, but I think, as you said, despite of the majority of current competitive players be ‘hooming arrow’ enjoyers many have disliked this change like us and didn’t continue playing the game, so, I think the addition of a game mode like that could increase the numbers quickly, but as you said, this could be not the right way to accomplish the numbers raise since it would indeed divide the playerbase.

1 Like

I see this way too.

@AridSubset31991 Indeed, balance will be a tricky thing for the modders to accomplish.

@Druidsbrook Sorry sir, maybe I am to biased for preferring it, but I don’t think I can see how the average joe that wants to play the game to feel like a general would ever see someone dodging arrows, or even ever abuse of such a mechanic. I fail to see how arrows missing can be simulated by things completely differents too, objectively speaking, arrows misses in the real world, so having the arrows missing in the game even though of course it’s not 100% correctly simulated it’s still closer to the real world therefore more immersive for someone that wants to (feel like a general?!).

@HasanIchess I mean, indeed, as you said, you can have a better approach to the strategic point of the game with hooming arrows, since you don’t need to focus in microing units. About to make decisions like a general, I don’t think it was ever a general decision to micro-manages the economy of an empire, or I don’t think generals would tower rush empires, or use knights to light torches to throw at a stone castle and other unique things that you can only see in a age of empires game, and to be fair, if I really wanted to feel like a general I would probably be playing another game ,from another company, which the game is purely battle focused with a lot of more realistic mechanics which none of them includes hooming arrows.

Probably ripped straight from CoH2 and slightly modified :laughing:

2 Likes

Not doing changes to core game is more risky since players are dropping fast… The other option is that they made those changes for an expansion pack, if they go the DLC route the game will die even faster.