Recommendations for Russian and Ottoman combat units

Age of Empires 3 is one of my favorite RTS games, I’ve been playing it since 2011, but since the of Age of Empires 3 DE,However, many countries in the traditional camp have undergone certain changes, except for Russia and Turkey, which have not changed at all. Age of Empires 3 (2007) was a top country when it first came out. After the Asian Dynasty came out, China and Japan have featured military services. It makes these two traditional powers less powerful. After the release of the DE version, the civilizations of Mexico and Malta have been added, and some old civilizations have added new units. Russia and Turkey are already 3.0-3.5/5 in the minds of many people. so hopefully some new units need to be added to balance it out The Russian units have been relatively unreasonable,The combat effectiveness of the shoting army is too weak, and there is no strong infantry, So I think that the combat effectiveness of the Russian shooting army should be strengthened, and then the weakest infantry should be changed to armed serfs
At the same time, Russia should have the same powerful infantry units as Turkey or Mexico, which can be called Russian Guards, accounting for two populations, instead of grenadiers,because the heavy musketeers of other countries are 300HP or even close to 500HP, but the Russian musketeers have only 285HP at the highest level, which makes their infantry weak in the later stage. It is very unreasonable. Most countries have low HP but Long-range musketeers have 250-300 HP even if their HP is low, so Russian infantry very much needs a musketeer with high blood volume, so as to achieve a consumable, a melee class, a long musket Soldiers, a reasonable mix of heavy musketeers
Cossack cavalry is the most reasonable Russian unit in my opinion, but Russia lacks more advanced dragoons. China can get Russian musket dragoons from the consulate, but Russia does not have dragoons. I hope Russia can also produce and use them. Musket Dragoons
QQ截图20220710160459

2 Likes

This is Aoe2 side of the forum.

@anon63664082, can this be moved to AoE3?

It would be against the russian design in aoe3 and thereby not fitting. Russia has great infantry, but its strengh comes from low cost, low training time and nummerical superiority, instead of great individual stats

5 Likes

What I propose is the Armed Serf, a low-level unit similar to the Mexican mob, weaker than the original Shooter Army, and the Tsarist Guard instead of the Grenadiers. The Grenadiers are also good in combat, but I hope he with a Russian character

Russia is designed with a weaker but faster training army. They are good early game and not as strong late game . They are fine the way they are we don’t need Russia to have the equivalent to Mexican musketeers

1 Like

However, many countries in the traditional camp have undergone certain changes, except for Russia and Turkey, which have not changed at all. Age of Empires 3 (2007) was a top country when it first came out. After the Asian Dynasty came out, China and Japan have featured military services. It makes these two traditional powers less powerful. After the release of the DE version, the civilizations of Mexico and Malta have been added, and some old civilizations have added new units. Russia and Turkey are already 3.0-3.5/5 in the minds of many people. so hopefully some new units need to be added to balance it out

otto is still considered to be top with jan+abus and russia can out grind people so they are still plenty strong

For ottos:

Add a native shipment of Qizilbash or Tartar archers. (Specially need a infinite native shipment in age IV)

A mercenary shipment of Corsair Marksman.

For russians:

Add a native shipment of Lipka Tatar, Shock Riders or Northern musks.

5 Likes

In terms of the game, I think Russia is fine in supremacy. It’s a good rush civ and they improved its ability to fight later in the game as well with faster villagers, cheaper church card, more military units per Age 3+ shipment, etc.

In treaty, Russia is lower tier because its weak units just simply can’t handle heads up fights (with the exception of cossacks) and the instant infantry training times are less unique when you play on maps that have native techs that improve training times.

If anything, I wish Russia could have some stronger endgame stats for their units in the lategame, possibly balancing it out with slower train times or higher cost.

China can get Russian musket dragoons through the Russian consulate. I hope I can produce this musket dragoon from a Russian stable. Besides, the local unit you mentioned is also a good proposal. I hope the production team can adopt it. I mainly Think the Ottomans need to add some melee infantry units

Yes, I think Russia should provide some powerful units with Russian characteristics. Although Russian units are cheap and fast, in the later stage, because of the 200 population limit, Russia’s human sea tactics will become more and more powerless. At this time, some powerful units are needed. Individual units, such as the Russian Musketeer Dragoons and the Russian Imperial Guard are powerful individual soldiers, because the Russian navy is already very mediocre, so I hope that the Russian army can have some more powerful units.

1 Like

I doubt there will be changes to the Russian units because the intended design is supposed to be weaker units for cheaper and faster. “Swarming the enemy” is pointless late-game because everyone has equal or more military pop by then and can replenish their armies with all training time upgrades by then.

And Russia trades so badly with other civs, its arguable that it negates their cheaper unit cost advantage since you’re forced to replenish so dang fast.

I think Russia would be decently better if it had a population space of 210 or 215 instead of 200, enabling Russia to make up some of its terrible pop-inefficiency and put out 1-2 more cannons on the field.

I mean, look at the French or the Japanese:

• With France’s military space of 120, you could fit musketeers with 350 HP each and squeeze out 42k HP out of 120 population slots (at the cost of 12k resources).
  • Japan is even more ridiculous with 125 slots, with Ashigaru musketeers having like 420HP(?) each, enabling Japan to squeeze out 52.5k HP (at the cost of 15k resources).
  • Russia falls behind with 300HP musks and 101 slots, able to pump out 30.3k HP at the cost of (8080 resources).

If someone wants to argue that Russia wins via cost-efficiency, then I argue that Russian units don’t kill other civ’s units at the same rate of another civ to make Russia’s cost-efficiency effective. The DPS of 101 Rusketeers don’t have the DPS of 120 French musketeers, 125 Ashigaru musketeers, etc. Since they also have less HP, they die faster and force Russia to replenish much faster than it saves. Plus, you have to spend a little more APM to constantly replenish weak units, putting you at another type of disadvantage anyways.

Of course, so many mechanics come in such as using counter units, artillery, etc. But in the end, as many top treaty players have concluded as well in their discord chats, Russia is low tier and the weak units are one giant cause of it. (Still fun though, to run around)

4 Likes

It is because the heavy musketeers of other countries are 300HP or even close to 500HP, but the Russian musketeers have only 285HP at the highest level, which makes their infantry weak in the later stage. It is very unreasonable. Most countries have low HP but Long-range musketeers have 250-300 HP even if their HP is low, so Russian infantry very much needs a musketeer with high blood volume, so as to achieve a consumable, a melee class, a long musket Soldiers, a reasonable mix of heavy musketeers

Just I think the Russian cavalry archers are able to perform well in late game? That HP, and a very frindly cost (cheaper than a dragoon for instance).

Well, even if Russian musketeers are only 300 HP max (with the National Redoubt card in Age 4 and Advanced Arsenal upgrades), no other musketeer can be instantly trained. That’s why it’s difficult to make the Russian musketeer any stronger, since they have instant train time with Fencing School.

But if we wanted to make Russian musketeers stronger, we would have to balance that with some kind of takeaway, making them cost more or train slower or weaken some other attribute. I would be okay with that, for example like +15% HP and attack but +10% the cost. That would make Russian units -5% weaker than standard units, but -10% the cost, which is still part of their original design to be weaker but cheaper. (The original idea was -20% weaker for -25% the cost).

Yeah, Russian cav archers are pretty good and do better than goons. But the only problem is that Russian units overall are pop-inefficient with weak stats, so why use 2 pop for a cav archer when it’s gonna make your overall army weaker?

And halberdiers can be instantly trained, so for anti-cav, it’s eaier to use them. Thus, cav archers are barely used at all. And even if you do use them, after you wipe out all the cav, they’re pretty much useless compared to halberdiers who can still siege after that.

[quote=“GinningMantis28, post:18, topic:208279, full:true”]
Other countries have bonus cards for all infantry or cavalry, but Russia gives bonuses to their own unique arms. No matter how the Russian shooting army is bonus, they are soldiers with low combat effectiveness and low population efficiency, so if there are If the bonus card can boost the Russian halberdiers and musketeers, then it will not be so low for the efficiency of Russian population utilization.

Bro, do u know what’s happen? I installed a mod called RUSSIAN CHANGES.

The mods have not been updated and are no longer in line with the current game version, please delete it

For the Ottomans, I always hope to add traditional Turkish Composite Bowmen to their barracks as an kind of archaic unit and the second type of barrack unit.

Costing food and wood like every archaic unit, Turkish Composite Bowmen may be more expensive than standard Crossbowmen, but have a faster rate of fire. They can only upgrade to veteran at most, but we could have some cards to strengthen them, for example: “Turkish Archery” makes Cavalry Archers and them have more HP and attack; “Flying Archery” makes Cavalry Archers and them have more Range; “Zihgir (Thumb Ring)” makes Cavalry Archers and them slightly more expensive but gain rate of fire more faster.

Ottomans can still build Artillery Foundries to train Abus Guns for the role of Skirmishers. Alternatively, a politician could provide the Ottomans with Corsair Marksmen as hireable outlaw/mercenary Skirmisher-like units.

4 Likes