Regional Pricing Issues

The price is ridiculous, I can buy the entire franchise again and it still does not even cost what AOE IV DELUXE is worth

3 Likes

Maybe because AoE 2 and 3 are a old games (even if remakes), but AoE 4 is a new one? The devs don`t making games for a charity purpose, but for money. Important thing - making games also cost money. There is a lot of new games with similiar price (Humankind, Warhammer 3 TW, BG 3), so the AoE 4 price is nothing strange.

In certain region the price seems extremly high, but remember that the games was making in the other regions where EVERYTHING is more expensive (taxes, resourses, human work…)

8 Likes

you shouldnt compare it to the other age games though, they are ages old now. Or remakes/remasters :wink:

However arguing with the comparision to other countries may get across the point much better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is your country from the EU?

I’m agree with this. I’m from Argentina too and the price is kind of ridiculous. I know it shouldn’t be compared with old games remasters but being more expensive than an entire franchise of 3 / 4 games including all DLC’s is way too much.
$2000,00 ARS for the standard edition
$2800,00 ARS for the deluxe edition
That prices would make sense and be OK
To be honest, the deluxe edition doesn’t give too much extra content worth of the price.

2 Likes

again, the entire franchise is old games. They are getting throown at you and often tehre are points where you get them for even cheaper. It may LOOK a lot, bt it is fair to at least pay what you would pay for any othe rnew AAA game :slight_smile:

Yes from EU. There are poor countries in EU too.

2 Likes

This topic shows that most players do not understand the “empire” (and consequences of neo colonialism) part of the age of empires.

Of course that 20 dollars is a lot in SEVERAL countries where the minimum wage is 100dollars or 200 dollars… Are you joking? Do you not live outside of your bubble? Now imagine a game costing half your salary.

I am fortunate that for me that is kinda (only kinda) afordable. But i know that millions of people will not BE able to buy.

Anyway i still think is overpriced for a soft reboot of the franchise. I will wait for a promotion and will monitor how the Bugs will be dealt with (cause if this is a Aoe II DE or Aoe III DE style of launch, then we know it will be a crash and burn)

9 Likes

Maybe we do, but theres just prices for AAA Games, and MS is taking the same?
Of course taking more makes it far too expensive, but in all other cases - gaming is a luxury, you can either afford or wait for a sale or miss out.

And reboot or not ITS A NEW AAA GAME.

1 Like

I know. Before 2016, Steam prices in Western Europe were divided in 2 regions: North and South. Now, the mediterranean countries have to pay the same as countries with higher wages because of the EU Digital Single Market.

Age of Empires IV is overpriced for Switzerland residents. Let’s assume this is just a mistake with the exchange rate, and they will fix it soon…

But in case they don’t fix this price, who is responsible for it ?

I tried to contact Xbox Games Studios that sent me to Microsoft who finally said me that this price is due to “the price that developpers fixed to publish this game”. So is it Relic or Xbox Games Studio ?

Kill not the goose that lays the golden egg ! (What ? : The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs - Wikipedia)
Do they realize that even with a price fixed on the US $ with let’s say +1% on the current exchange rate, they will still make more profit for each sold license in Switzerland, than in EU in most of the cases :

Source : European Union value added tax - Wikipedia

• Low sales taxes (I don’t even know if they pay sales taxes, they are maybe exempt from taxes ?)
  • Usually no local customers support to set up
  • Not additional language support to set up
  • Special taxation for big compagnies

There is a reason why “physical box” games have always been cheaper in Switzerland for years than in most of the EU in the past, and compagnies were still making more profit there than in EU…

And guess what : the current company (digital game reseller platform) taking the most market shares on the Swiss market since a couple of years applies prices fixed on the original price (usually US dollar) and the current exchange rate, it’s just a coincidence…

2 Likes

Honestly this seems either like an oversight or a greedy move by microsoft. The price of the game in Eur and USD is already overpriced in my opinion but on top of that they also make regional pricing quite absurd too…

As for people that talk about the regional pricing being normal for triple A games. I would like to remind you that, that might be the case for fps sort of games but strategy games have a smaller player base.
To give an example, Crusader Kings 3 has much more logical regional pricing and that shows that it IS profitable for the company to keep prices low in developing countries otherwise they wouldn’t do it. https://steamdb.info/sub/452686/

2 Likes

FeelsSwissMan:

I could afford it, but for 74 CHF, it has to be really great and definitely a better experience than AOE2. This is just for the Standard edition. If you want Deluxe, you pay 25 CHF on top of that.

3 Likes

As an Argentinian this feels bad man… even for a franchise that i love and it means my WHOLE childhood… it’s way too much.

price

3 Likes

Europe cant match with Asia. England, France, Holy Roman and Rus just match China, Japan, Korea and Viet or Arab, Persia, Turkey and Egypt.

1 Like

I’m well aware of that. I personally find European history more interesting. My reply was to the person that tried to justify high regional prices by saying the game was made for western audience.

1 Like

The gmae is also on game pass (around 10 a month). If you can’t afford the game, theres also that option.

The eurozone prices seem to be just the American prices but with the dollar sign swapped for a euro sign. This is about 1.2 times as much, but it’s also not an uncommon way to translate prices.

Video games might actually be the anti-pharmaceuticals, in that the entire rest of the world pays more for them than the US does.

1 Like