Reluctant to buy game because of bad performance reviews

I wanted to buy the game the other day (watched an old SotL video and I liked what I saw), but Steam reviews from past 30 days prevented me from doing so. Is the performance really that bad at the moment, or are people exaggerating?

1 Like

yes reviews since last 30 days are from butt hurt players who get beaten by the new african civs. the game is very good and only getting better with each patch and dlc. its just that when a new dlc comes new they are op for a month or so and then it gets balanced out in a patch.

6 Likes

Most of them talk about crashes and disconnects. I did see a few of them complaining about the new civs, but I’m mostly interested in performance, as I have a midrange laptop with a GTX 1650 TI, so performance if important to me.

1 Like

so, in the new september update, they made the game to use multiple cores, making it run much better (a user from this forum reported an increase in fps from 47 to 77). Also, this same patch will include a reconnect option for out of sync games. On top of that, we just had a great dlc with 15 maps and more coming soon, and new mechanics in the future, like explorers customization. I’d say there is no better time to get the game, test it for yourself and se if it convinces you

4 Likes

Multithreading is coming PUP September -Foliage Optimization-. Great News!

Performance is going to majorly change for the better!

3 Likes

Hmm, I’m seeing this from the recent reviews:
The game’s review score has been consistently climbing up ever since the (not-so-great) release.

Performance specifically has also been improving, as far as I know. In fact the next upcoming September patch features some major improvements in this area: PUP September -Foliage Optimization-. Great News!

5 Likes

My bottleneck is the GPU unfortunately , I have a decent CPU (Ryzen 7 4800H), as well as 16GB of ram. Thanks for the info on out of sync games.

I think you should be totally fine with that card.
I used to run the game on a GTX 960 at 1440p and it worked too, your card seems significantly better so yea.

4 Likes

25% is still an improvement.

also im guessing your laptop doesn’t have a 1440p display, my 1060 is running the game fine on 1440p, all be it not maxed out.

i wouldn’t be worried about a 1650TI, mobile or not, running the game.

3 Likes

I ran this game alright on low/medium settings with a surface go 2. No it wasn’t the smoothest experience ever but it’s not like 2007 where I was trying to run Aoe3 on a cheap xp with 256 mbps of graphics.

You should be able to run the game fine at 1080p medium settings, provided your are okay with frame drops to 30 towards end game. It will still look very good.

1 Like

Thank you for all the replies. How important do you think are the 2 DLCs for the overall experience?

not very, the african expansion is nice since it comes with a lot of new maps but if this is your first dive into AOE 3 then i dont think you need the DLC to begin with.

4 Likes

well I have my other laptop with Ryzen 5 4600H and 1650ti , I dont have any performance issue on that, yes disconnect / minor/ignorable bugs may happen at times, that are getting patched.

But as for the raw performance of the game didnt have any issues with medium/above medium settings

2 Likes

I’ve got an old laptop and I have no issue playing the game, maybe 1 in 20 I get disconnected and that’s probably down to my internet tbh.

The games in a great state and any bad reviews are from people crying over losing to the new civs as others have said.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, bought the game. Atm watching Youtube videos to try and understand it/

7 Likes

I think if you go in tools on main menu there’s a tutorial and then you have art of war missions to teach you a bit more in depth, doing the campaign would help you to just get a feel for it too.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. AoE 3 DE is an underrated gem. you can check out Aussie Drongo and Widgie for AoE 3 content in youtube. They are also active in streaming the game.

7 Likes

It is a very frequent pattern with DLC that has mixed criticisms at first because it usually comes with errors. Paradox game DLCs often have this pattern, but the product itself is very good.

The product is excellent for me, although it is true that it lacks optimization, but it has been continuously improving a lot.

Playing the campaigns is the best when you are new, to be able to understand the role that everything plays in the game.

These issues seem to be addressed soon. You could still try it on ‘xbox game pass’ to see how it works. Or you can buy it because it is at a good price and the problems will be solved over time.

With that graphic card you can run the game with no problem, I have a laptop with gtx 960m and it runs the game really well with pretty decent settings, most of them on medium.

2 Likes