Remake the intro movie

Incorrect

1 Like

If they wanted to do this it would have come with the initial release not one year later.

hopefully they do it as the final finishing touch to the game after the last patch to come

haha yes my exacts thoughts when booting AoE 3

Problably mod’s won’t like this because it involves another gaming studio but just posting it here what a 20 year old intro movie and cutscenes can be made into !!

come one everyone secretly want’s this!

also AoE1

1 Like

Marius looks good

sheeeeesh

The white borders at top/bottom of vid are a little annoying (for when trying to view from cell phone in dark, they make it harder to see the vid) :wink:

Interesting to see the comparison. Wonder why they felt it necessary to change so much of the acting animations, character faces and shapes, and set?

Namely, in the new version, the old guy in first part of video lacks the look of fear exhibited in old vid and is a completely different face and seems less old/frail/famished. (Side note: His eyes now seem like ‘Caesar’ from Planet of The Apes or ‘Golem’ from Lord of the Rings.) The cloaked figure now has the body build of a buff batman or superman underneath. The desert scenes have different landmark rocks and never the bright/bleached-sun appearance of the old vid. No battle axe silhouttes with the skeleton scene. I don’t think those changes should have been made, along with others… just from an artistic direction standpoint.

The game probably has a lot of loyalists, so if you don’t change those things, you satisfy them; and new players just accept it because that’s all they know. But by changing some of that, nostalgic loyalists are like, “Huh??” Why’d they change that?," while new players are still accepting because that’s all they know. So the only losers in the situation are the nostalgic loyalists :slight_smile: So it doesn’t make sense to me to change iconic expressions, actions, or set pieces, imo.

It’s cool to make an HD version with more detail, better FX, more set pieces, and the like, but when you change to acting so much, it loses the vibe of the old one in places, and I feel that’s weird to do. For example, the new guy lying in jail cell has no look of fear whatsoever. He’s now just shifty-eyed, lacks emotion, and more like, “Ehh, what a shame you’re here, mister mean man. You don’t scare me. Hmm, I wonder what I’ll be having for dinner later tonight? Hope it’s something good.”

And regarding the set, some of those stone structures out in the desert (the large silhouette ones) should’ve been considered landmarks for those shots. Would be a bit like replacing Stonhenge in a shot for some Canary Island stone faces instead, just because. Odd to change.

So, for AoE, I really would just want an HD version. Keep the look and acting of people… since you can make high-poly chars look like their low-poly counterparts, no problem. Just up-res and clean up things, add more details, make better (less floaty) animations, update the effects and flesh out shots/scenes. That type of stuff.

A machine learning enhanced version would be good enough for me, actually :smiley: But if they want to make a bunch of new assets and re-do it, I hope the retain the charm of the old version

I asked on the Gamescom back in the day if they would do it for both.

They dont have the source Files for them thats the reason why all Videos are not in it.

Might as well just drop a machine-learned HD up-rezzing of the movie into the game, then :slight_smile: It would be nice to have it re-made, and it wouldn’t be a ton of effort required to re-build it from scratch with a little extra zest added here and there, to be honest… but for something I would only watch a couple times or once per few years, I’d personally rather they devote resources to cool things they could do with the actual game or gameplay

But while we’re at it, if time is spent for nostalgic or historical purposes, maybe make a AoE2 History/Museum area for the devs to drop in the old game manual, box cover/art, etc, too, as I see I noted earlier in this thread.

In that Museum section, you could also add the intro trailer being talked about here, and any other media they have from long ago, like dev interviews/commentary, magazine ads, TV ads?, brick-and-mortar store displays, alpha/beta footage if any exists, original concept art, etc. (I don’t want to leave out the current DE dev contributions, so it’d be okay to include some things on that, too)

Sorry, don’t want to hijack the thread; so please focus comments on the intro movie remake. But I see the two desires as somewhat related, so thought I’d re-link to that thread/idea

im personally even missing all the cut scenes in aoe 1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your extensive reply, there was some post ago in this topic with a linke to a Youtube movie where the graphics where bumped up with AI.

In regards to loyalist/purist is the point of this thread to keep it as close to the original as possible, so no extra chest pieces or cutscense of ships or anything but offcourse graphics in modern day standards, for that matter i feel like Marius (old man) looks better/healthier then in the old version imho is more due to the improved quality/better representation of how humans actually look like.
There have bene opinions that the Dark Wanderer looks “less” possed then in the OG but i still feel like they did a phantastic job.

So I can see your point about the Diablo movie beeing not 100% although i had to look back to see what you meant with the Axe Skeleton, and i dont feel such small details matter but maybe i am not enough of a prurist, i would however dislike that the chess board would be changed i gues, if only due to the Recent SOTL breakdown of it.

The fact that only small details can be found in video’s like this where you put them exactly next to eachother, as well that it is possible to run the exactly next to eachother with the same sound is imho due to perfection that diablo 2 intro (and further cut scenes) where remade…

Yes that would be really nice addition!! i forget that they had those small ones… just imagine to have them in 4kHD…

1 Like

just for my own learning, what would this exactly help and would it be that much more of an effort to build it from scratch ? Sorry i am not a visual programmer/movie maker

My pleasure!

That may be part of it, but they made him look like a totally different person. Artistically, it would be quite possible to make a more realistic human (fix the obvious issues) yet retain the general look of the original guy; especially with the high caliber artists at Blizzard. So, I think it was mostly an art direction decision

For the battleaxe skeleton and some other observations I made, they’re mostly with the purists in mind. I bet the devs just wanted to change some things to put their own artistic flair on it, or maybe they referenced original dev documents to bring the original vision to life now that technology is better. Either way, it’s all good… and such changes were maybe funner for them to do. I’m not a purist, but it just struck me as odd to change a handful of things