Request - Horde formation

Oh it’s you :rofl:

Humans are still faster than horses

So? I took issue with a clearly overweight king outrunning a horse. Debunk this or stop it :wink:

1 Like

He’s outrunning a mounted knight, clearly he’s packing calves underneath his vanity push-up belly girdle. He has to look the part because obesity was fashionable in most of history.

Also he’s a king. A prime specimen of a human being. Just look them calves doe.

No sir… this is not what I meant when I suggested the break formation feature. It would help not only in escaping, but also in dodging projectiles, melee attacks, and in covering areas much faster, without the need of creating new groups of units with Ctrl + #. It would not mean to make them flee from their enemies, not necessarily, but allowing units to move as fast as they can where mouse points the way, like anyone would do to prevent being attacked, or to reach and defend positions much faster. It could also be useful when cavalry units have low hit points, and need to split out to avoid being killed by siege machines or other damaging attacks.

And of course, a customizable hotkey would be needed to get the most of it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yeah I get it. You want to take splitting to the next level and make Daut look even older :laughing:

There are three little QoL features from AOE1:DE that could be introduced in AOE2:DE in order to make it an even better game. This is one of them…

Other than that, AOE2:DE feels awesome!

1 Like

For those interested :wink:

1 Like

Can we get this option, please? This game’s great but could use some enhancements.

1 Like

To be able to break formations would allow for several tactics, from fleeing, as you said, to performing an attack move without speed restrictions, causing the most damage to enemies, as fast as possible.

Imagine being a new player, not having horde formation, and then selecting a horse archer with a couple of elephant archers as well, while being attacked by a pair of scorpions/ballistae from afar: not only elephants would get damaged, but the horse as well, as it would move as slow as them. Not having to split units into groups is probably the main reason for this feature request to exist, if we really think about it.

1 Like

If a player doesn’t think about separating slow and fast units, would they really think (or even know) about changing formation?

Yes, more people should join the discussion.

1 Like

More like why this discussion was even a thing? Formations and units waiting for each other was one of the big improvements of AoE1 over AoE2, so why ask for this? It feels like asking for the option to disable the ability to have more than one unit in the queue at a time or to make villagers no longer go to work automatically after finishing a drop off building.

It’s a matter of having more options at the time of playing. While I concurr formations are an improvement (most of the time) over the prequel, I do not like being forced to play in a certain way only, like in first person shooters that do not allow for toggle aim down sights, forcing players to hold its respective key down. I don’t support arbitrary decisions like these. Having more options is always the best thing in videogames, specially the competitive ones and/or those that have lots of replayability to them.

Good question, but my point still stands, as having more options is always better than just having a few. AOE2:DE implemented interested behaviors and features, but even now it can still be improved upon; this was true at release date, and it is true now still.
I find it strange to have someone being opposed to a request, when it wouldn’t negatively affect their performance in the game. Just to make it clear, what we are requesting is to bring back a feature that was cut, and was NOT obligatory to use. Need I say it would be entirely optional and that it would not, by any means, be active by default?

Indeed. Yesterday I noticed that back in 2019, @AAHale requested this feature; I was not aware of that back when I posted a request on the same topic, so Radiating Blade helped me merge both threads. This should be more visible now that both threads are one.

2 Likes

With how formations are formed I think a horde formation or maybe better a “bravely run away!”-button would be appreciated.
It’s quite annoying to see an onager coming towards your line, you have a second to react, give your units a movement order and instead of moving where you told them to go the units decide to wait until all units have arrived in the correct order before they even think of marching onwards.

1 Like

A feature that would act as the opposite to attack move? Not exactly what we’ve been discussing, but sure interesting.

1 Like

CA hit and run? Mongudai can benifit a lot from that.Especially agaist paladin.

2 Likes

I think that’s another feature right there :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Sounds cool to have a hit n’ run behavior, but friend, we shouldn’t derail from the original topic, otherwise this would turn into a mess of a discussion. Would be nice to have a topic on everything formations/pathing related, to discuss the whole AI behavior and mechanics there.

But T90 would no longer be able to make train jokes ;(

@fe_dev_team, would you please consider adding a break formation feature/hotkey, please? The game is very nice although it is sometimes better to not have any formations at all.

Cheers.

1 Like