Retold got the cartoonish graphics

It seems like they didn’t listen to the community and went for the cartoonish graphics…
It is not even better than Dota2’s graphics lol
Looks like 2010 game omg.

The only thing they did right was the units x building portion.

2 Likes

19 Likes

Looks fine by me. :slight_smile: Would also prefer more realistic style but what can you do.

23 Likes

The screenshots look amazing and i’m amazed how huge the colossus units are compared to other units

14 Likes

Looks very on point compared to the original AoM artstyle and it looks amazing.

28 Likes

I loved the Colossus, look sick, gorgeous…

7 Likes

Just a huge turn-off for me.
And that Cerberus was not cooler, the older version was way better.
This kind of graphics is just out-of-date in 2024.

3 Likes

I love how it looks. I’m just dissapointed that they not showcase any gameplay changes and completly deleted chinese from the game

1 Like

Didn’t they say that they will be reworing them and the game will come out with them together with a redone campaign that is closer to the original ones? I think that they just need more time in the oven as they are probably the last country they are woring on and also the one that requires the most work.

4 Likes

none of it is in the description. So it is not included.

Yes, they say that, but they don’t even mentioned it in the Steam page, and there is not a single unit and buildin the pictures.

I liked the graphics, although I would have liked it more if it was a little more realistic. But even so, I liked it. High expectations regarding both singleplayer and multiplayer content. I expect new difficulty levels and a good multiplayer lobby, without lag. And, last but not least, that they release DLC and bring the Chinese at launch.

2 Likes

Agree aboud Carberus. I think the choice to go with more cartoony over more realistic is connected with the engine that they are using. AoE III DE is also more cartoony than the original. I also think that this choice will help with the readability of the game because if they went too realistic, the god powers might have made the game unreadable.

But as a Total War Warhammer player, I am used to more cartoony graphics so in the end, it won’t be a deal breaker for me.

BRUTAL graphics for a mythological game.

Are you counting Total War Warhammer as cartoony graphics? :rofl:

2 Likes

“Cartoonish” graphics is more a less a trademark of the Age series btw.

1 Like

Nah, only AOE thinks it is, but everyone else thinks it was just due to the technological issue.
Call of Duty was cartoonish, but it improved.
AOE didnt
Games are getting better.
But AOE is not, and is way behind.

1 Like

I think the problem here is using “cartoonish” as a synonym for “bad” which just doesn’t work.

3 Likes

The third game? Yes. At least the campaign map changed a lot with the 3rd one and now is quite cartoonish. The models and battlefields are quite realistic but the new models use a lot of vfx effects that make them more cartoonish.

I think you probably don’t mean Cartoonish, more like lower poly or something.

Cartoony would be if the body proportions would be exaggerated and the colors be more like simpsons.

Age of Empires Online was cartoony, it has very exaggerated proportions (not just large or small). But the overall style of it.

3 Likes