Retold got the cartoonish graphics

98% from brazilian community LOVED the images. Only things people complained a bit were Eggy Catapult (too clean low poly) and Norse Roof Textures (too clean and light)

2 Likes

From the prints it looks much better than aoe4 for me, lets see…

4 Likes

Totally! I’m really excited about AoM Retold and really hated AoE 4 design…

3 Likes

Oh It looks sick alright, I’m vomiting at the clash of artstyle, granted OG argus is ugly yes, and have sloppy tentacle flailing as attack but I don’t want a mutated Zerg Overlord taking it’s place. I’m fine with the behemoth. But Gaia can’t look like that. I can understand wanting her to look less human like some of the other titans, but dont take away the nose and have a smug smile that makes her looks like she is from an animated movie.
God of War had a great depiction of Gaia and I can see the that they went in a similiar direction, but they missed the mark by miles.

i didn’t hate AoE4 ingame design (except for the damn arrows) like many here but i agree new AoMRe style looks WAYYYYY better.

1 Like

Whut… it looks very good to me, much better then AoE4 in my opinion

3 Likes

it looks amazing to me, the lighting changes look beautiful

3 Likes

Well, AoE 4 is just kind of soulless. That game never caught me in its grip like Age of Mythology and Age of Empires III DE did. These two are just perfect games as far as I am concerned.

7 Likes

This looks fine. At least the units, buildings and terrain look scaled properly. This is what aoe4 should have been tbh. I hope they don’t mess it up.

7 Likes

Personally, I think it’s not bad.
And also, we cannot exclude the possibility that the game graphic will be more polished by the time it is released, and it is also possible that it will be improved through updates after release.
In fact, 3DE and AoE4 went through the same path.

1 Like

It looks like a complete visual redo of AoM. You can tell it’s using (a version of) the III: DE engine. These are both positives, right? Remasters can only go so far, and honestly based on II: DE and III: DE, Retold seems to go further than both of them went.

Or maybe it’s the fact that’s AoM that’s biasing my opinion. The Colossus is such a sharp remodel compared to the original (which I still remember). It looks really good.

I guess there’s no pleasing some folks. Which is fine, but I’m definitely interested to see how this looks on release.

2 Likes

what are you talking about the game pictures looks amazing

1 Like

The only two things I “hated” on images were “Kronos” and the Nemean Lion. The old “golden” visual was much more interesting. That unit is looking too generic.

I’ve made some comparisons:

18 Likes

1 more :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Looks great you ask me. There are a few units that I kinda wanted to whince at but I really like the overall graphic design

Still, the ‘reveal’ was incredibly disappointing, but the graphics was not one of the reasons for me.

I think people are just trying to find more reasons to hate it because of the disappointing showing.

I wish people would put more effort into making genuine criticisms of how and what we were shown rather than finding petty, cheap reasons to say it’s the worst thing ever instead. I think it really detracts from useful, constructive conversation about something that we actually care about and want to see in its best possible state. At least that’s me, I can’t speak for anyone else, maybe some folks wanna see it crash and burn like reforged.

1 Like

I don’t understand, they don’t look carton, they clean it a bit but it looks much much better, if you want to see cartoon go to age of Disney IV, this game looks 100 times better than age of Disney 4

1 Like

I’ll take a wild guess and say that the Minotaur in the Retold pic is the fully upgraded Bull Minotaur.

2 Likes

I find it a bit weird calling AoE 4 “Age of Disney” considering Disney also had/has studios such as Touchstone, specifically aimed at older audiences with releases such as Die Hard or Starship Troopers :wink:

1 Like

So what current RTS games have high quality visuals that you deemed worthy enough?
Because comparing visuals of an RTS game versus an FPS game is flat-out wrong. Different genres require different visual processing iirc.

1 Like