Return of Rome Discussion

There was allegedly a closed beta in November of last year, just a few weeks after RoR was announced.
And apparently at last one more since.

They usually only done those relatively close before release and when the game was already pretty much finished.
The closed beta for AoE4 was closer to the release then the time since November last year.
So even for a completely new game they need less time for testing and fixing bugs before release?

Was the beta feedback that devastating? Unlikely.

Maybe there are some other reasons behind this decision. Maybe there is a marketing plan or something like that.

I also don’t see a reason for the complete radio silence. We officially even still don’t know what this DLC really is going to be.
How much of AoE1 and how much of AoE2 is in it?

No reason not to share at last the very basic details and a few screenshots.
Even if they have only done a single campaign mission so far they could at last show a single screenshot of it, it doesn’t even have to have UI in it.

5 Likes

Yes, there are many missions similar to “The Holy Man”…you have the Yamato “Assassins” and then the Hatti “Opening Moves”…

On March 28 (March 15 if we consider the Julian calendar)…the other is April 21 due to the founding of Rome…

Of course, there is so much excessive hype that it can be counterproductive if it does not exceed our expectations…

Of course, later they can add a separate mode where you can play with the aoe 1 civs together with the aoe 2 civs…

Na, I don’t think it’s a bad dlc but rather they try to have gameplay to show the new civs… when they launch the puzzle we’ll know that the dlc is close…

Yes, it may be that since there are so many missions they are complicated by the AI ​​so that the AoE 2 AI adapts to the AoE 1 campaigns and they are neither very easy nor very difficult, especially if they include AoE 2 DE triggers there…AoE 1 DE campaigns look like Wallace’s campaign if you compare them to AoE 2 DE…

At least we know that being a port we will have the 10 campaigns and the 16 civs of the original game…

That’s all rumours or jut people trying to interpret the few sentences we have.
We don’t know if they will port any of the campaigns.
Or did I miss something?

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Return of Rome is the fourth expansion of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.It was announced on 25 October 2022, on the 25th Anniversary of Age of Empires.It serves as the port of Age of Empires content into the Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition client.

By port of AoE 1 I understand all its content (its 10 campaigns and its 16 civilizations)…

1 Like

The wiki is not official.

Also is they want to port all content why don’t they just tell us that they want to do that?

Not saying that they won’t do it. Just wondering why they don’t tell us.

Personally my hype died off completely, I am more looking forward to the next dlc after RoR :\

3 Likes

It’s not official, but we try to get it to have true information (in fact, they criticized me a lot for making the missions pages for the Indian dlc before it came out based on information from wikipedia xd)

It’s because wikia knows as much as we do (nothing). We can only work out an article with info available and not fill with speculation

True, but something is something…

didn’t they mention on roadmap awhile back that it’ll be Q1 2023 release of the DLC? so we only got like 14 days remaining

I think it’s more likely that there’s some major technical issue, e.g. they can’t get the two different games to work properly in the same client. Something like that could definitely justify delaying any concrete announcement.

(But I also think it’s plausible that the beta feedback was very negative.)

That’s just pure speculation. Just wait and let them finish their work.

It has always been this way: They will release a trailer as soon as their product is like 90% finished. If it takes longer, it takes longer.

1 Like

There can be multiple reasons why they are taking longer then expected:

1. It’s harder then we think it is to make this DLC work well without creating bugs for normal AoE2DE
  2. They are more ambitious then we think they are (the DLC will be bigger)
  3. There is only a small team working on it (the priorities are normal AoE2DE concent)
  4. They are waiting for something else (like the major patch they promised for AoE2DE first)

The truth likely lies between one or more of those points.

The roadmap just says 2023. But they already didn’t deliver on all the 2022 promises in time anyway.
But they never guaranteed that they would fulfil this roadmap, it’s just what they had planned to do at that point.

2022 was a slow year for AoE2DE because they were busy working on the Xbox port for a long time. That delayed a lot of other changes and content.

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely. Pretty much this entire thread is pure speculation. With almost no information, speculation is pretty much all we have.

If they’ve had two beta tests, it should be more than 90% finished already (not that the percentage really means anything, but beta versions are usually very close to complete).

There were probably more than two beta tests. I looked at steamdb while the first and second beta happended and there appeared a branch called ms_flight which was removed again after a few days (this was probably the beta branch). Since then ms_flight appeared another two times last time I checked. This doesn’t doesn’t confirm that there were additional betas of course, but it could be an indicator for it.

Well, the biggest dlc is…both of the saga and the RTS genre in general…

Yes, I think the dlc is close… Remember that a year ago now, we are all with the puzzle of the Indian DLC; or Be it is not to wait for the DLC itself, but the puzzle…

Maybe some of the betas had a lot less players?
Maybe for more targeted testing.

So is “Return of Rome” a dead dlc ??? We can forget about it ?

I doubt they’ll cancel it after formally announcing they were working on it

But in comparison with all others DLCs in the past, the time between announcement and release was much shorter…